Fitting wide HTML table on A4 paper

Discussion in 'HTML' started by manios76, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. manios76

    manios76 Guest

    Hallo,

    I need to print html pages that contain tabular data.The data i
    organized in a specific number of columns (25), so when i get t
    preview the printing area, only the portion visible on the screen i
    displayed and printed.So the table gets cut in the middle or somethin
    and a large number of columns is not displayed.Is there anyway to fi
    this?I tried reducing the text size to smallest but some columns stil
    dont get displayed.I also tried reducing margins from page set up an
    changing the orientation to landscape and can't get the whole tabl
    printed on A4 paper size. Any ideas ??

    Regards
    Manousos, Athen
    -
    manios7
    manios76, Jun 27, 2004

  2. "manios76" <4designers.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hallo,
    >
    > I need to print html pages that contain tabular data.The data is
    > organized in a specific number of columns (25), so when i get to
    > preview the printing area, only the portion visible on the screen is
    > displayed and printed.So the table gets cut in the middle or something
    > and a large number of columns is not displayed.Is there anyway to fix
    > this?I tried reducing the text size to smallest but some columns still
    > dont get displayed.I also tried reducing margins from page set up and
    > changing the orientation to landscape and can't get the whole table
    > printed on A4 paper size. Any ideas ??
    >

    > Regards
    > Manousos, Athens
    > --
    > manios76

    Did you write an external style sheet to print?
    Do you use CSS?
    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.italymap.dk/sv/italien-karta.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 27, 2004

  3. manios76

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:26:44 GMT, manios76
    <4designers.com> wrote:

    : Hallo,
    :
    : I need to print html pages that contain tabular data.The data is
    : organized in a specific number of columns (25), so when i get to
    : preview the printing area, only the portion visible on the screen is
    : displayed and printed.So the table gets cut in the middle or something
    : and a large number of columns is not displayed.Is there anyway to fix
    : this?I tried reducing the text size to smallest but some columns still
    : dont get displayed.I also tried reducing margins from page set up and
    : changing the orientation to landscape and can't get the whole table
    : printed on A4 paper size. Any ideas ??

    In your CSS, try something like:

    @media print {
    TD {font-size:60%; }
    }

    The visual display will remain, but u may well get it to fit now?

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Jun 28, 2004
  4. manios76

    Amos E Wolfe Guest

    "manios76" <4designers.com> wrote in message
    > Hallo,
    >
    > I need to print html pages that contain tabular data.The data is
    > organized in a specific number of columns (25), so when i get to
    > preview the printing area, only the portion visible on the screen is
    > displayed and printed.So the table gets cut in the middle or something
    > and a large number of columns is not displayed.Is there anyway to fix
    > this?I tried reducing the text size to smallest but some columns still
    > dont get displayed.I also tried reducing margins from page set up and
    > changing the orientation to landscape and can't get the whole table
    > printed on A4 paper size. Any ideas ??

    HTML is for display on screen using a web browser.

    For display on paper, using INK, you need a different program.

    These are - in 99% of circumstances - mutually exclusive goals!

    Most popular, due to free downloads of the viewer/print part of it is Adobe
    PDF - you can create a file which has small filesize (image compression
    plays a part here, also the use of vector graphics - virtually impossible in
    web pages), also one which can be printed by anyone with a compatible
    printer who is able to download the software - FREEWARE.

    -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-
    Amos E Wolfe, Jun 29, 2004
  5. manios76

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:00:42 +0000 (UTC), Amos E Wolfe
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > HTML is for display on screen using a web browser.

    No, HTML describes the structure of the content. It has nothing to do
    with how it is "displayed". As well as visual browsers, there are aural
    browsers that read the page to you, there are Braille browsers...

    > For display on paper, using INK, you need a different program.

    I don't see how a table with 25 columns can fit on a piece of paper
    properly - but then that would require a change in the layout of the
    content, not necessarily a different "program" (HTML is not a program,
    BTW).

    In most cases, though, CSS can be used to style it appropriately for
    print.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jun 30, 2004
  6. manios76

    Neal Guest

    <> wrote:

    > HTML is for display on screen using a web browser.
    >
    > For display on paper, using INK, you need a different program.
    >
    > These are - in 99% of circumstances - mutually exclusive goals!
    >
    > Most popular, due to free downloads of the viewer/print part of it is
    > Adobe
    > PDF - you can create a file which has small filesize (image compression
    > plays a part here, also the use of vector graphics - virtually
    > impossible in
    > web pages), also one which can be printed by anyone with a compatible
    > printer who is able to download the software - FREEWARE.

    HTML is for describing the semantic role of each bit of content on the
    page. CSS is for describing the recommended rendering of that content.
    There are screen styles, print styles, handheld styles, aural styles
    (sadly, poorly supported) - so HTML cannot be for display on a screen!

    The trouble the OP is having is trying to tell the browser to set the
    print job up so 25 columns coexist on one page. The only way to do this is
    to smoosh it to fit.

    If you're going to set it up to prefer printing in landscape orientation,
    be aware that some users will be using US 8.5x11, which is about 17mm
    shorter than A4. To accomodate these users, you need the 25 columns to fit
    in the space of 240mm (allowing for appropriate margins). That's under a
    centimeter per average column...

    Set up a print stylesheet specifying table row widths in absolute units
    (ex. width: 9.1mm;). And do not indicate widths in the HTML. For a print
    stylesheet you should use absolute lengths when needed, as you're printing
    to paper. Just don't do it for screen - use relative lengths.
    Neal, Jun 30, 2004