Fixing washing line

Jim Scott

I need to fix a washing line to a brick wall. I bought a big screw hook
intending to fit a big rawlplug in the mortar between bricks. The guy in
the shop said what I really want is what looks like a chrome plated 6" nail
with a bent over end where the head would be.
I have got both so which do I use and do I just hammer the nail thing in
the mortar or dril a hole, or what?

Jim Scott

I need to fix a washing line to a brick wall. I bought a big screw
hook intending to fit a big rawlplug in the mortar between bricks. The
guy in the shop said what I really want is what looks like a chrome
plated 6" nail with a bent over end where the head would be.
I have got both so which do I use and do I just hammer the nail thing
in the mortar or dril a hole, or what?
Oops wrong group. Sorry.

Brian Cryer

Jim Scott said:
Oops wrong group. Sorry.

Just curious, which would be the right group?

The answer to your post is that you drill a hole, because (amongst other
things) you don't want to end up with a loose brick. I'd drill a hole in the
middle of a brick, not the mortar because the mortar is less likely to take
the weight.

Jim Scott

Just curious, which would be the right group?
uk.d-i-y

The answer to your post is that you drill a hole, because (amongst
other things) you don't want to end up with a loose brick. I'd drill a
hole in the middle of a brick, not the mortar because the mortar is
less likely to take the weight.

Your answer makes sense for the hoo & rawlplug, but I'm not sure about
the spikey thing.

Brian Cryer

Jim Scott said:

Thanks. It always amazes me quite how many newsgroups there are.
Your answer makes sense for the hoo & rawlplug, but I'm not sure about
the spikey thing.

I'm not sure about the spiky thing either. If it has a hook where the head
would be (if it were a nail - going by your original description) then what
are you supposed to hit if you used a hammer? What did the guy in the shop
say who sold it to you? or did he leave that part out?

I'd use the screw hook.

Jim S

Thanks. It always amazes me quite how many newsgroups there are.

I'm not sure about the spiky thing either. If it has a hook where the head
would be (if it were a nail - going by your original description) then what
are you supposed to hit if you used a hammer? What did the guy in the shop
say who sold it to you? or did he leave that part out?

I'd use the screw hook.

Don't ask.
I sent the wife to get a big rawlplug and she came back with both them and a
spikey thing. I suppose you bash the bent over bit,

dorayme

"Brian Cryer said:
then what
are you supposed to hit if you used a hammer? What did the guy in the shop
say who sold it to you? or did he leave that part out?

I'd use the screw hook.

Exactly my thoughts.

Just by the way, Jim, sure, drilling the middle of the brick will
resulot in stronger but if it is good mortar, newish and the plug
and screw are not miserable scrawny things, it is easier and safe
to use the mortar, the force is not perpendicular to the bricks
when the washing is up unless the house is on the side of a hill
and the silly builder mistakenly took his base horizontal from
the slope instead of the tangent to the earth itself.