    Jim
    Tyneside UK
    http://www.jimscott.co.uk
    Jim Scott, Oct 9, 2006

  2. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    Jim Scott <> wrote in
    news:Xns985785C543F94jim.jimXscott.co.uk@212.227.76.70:

    > I need to fix a washing line to a brick wall. I bought a big screw
    > hook intending to fit a big rawlplug in the mortar between bricks. The
    > guy in the shop said what I really want is what looks like a chrome
    > plated 6" nail with a bent over end where the head would be.
    > I have got both so which do I use and do I just hammer the nail thing
    > in the mortar or dril a hole, or what?

    Oops wrong group. Sorry.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK
    Jim Scott, Oct 9, 2006

  3. Jim Scott

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Scott <> wrote in
    >
    >> I need to fix a washing line to a brick wall. I bought a big screw
    >> hook intending to fit a big rawlplug in the mortar between bricks. The
    >> guy in the shop said what I really want is what looks like a chrome
    >> plated 6" nail with a bent over end where the head would be.
    >> I have got both so which do I use and do I just hammer the nail thing
    >> in the mortar or dril a hole, or what?
    >>

    > Oops wrong group. Sorry.

    Just curious, which would be the right group?

    The answer to your post is that you drill a hole, because (amongst other
    things) you don't want to end up with a loose brick. I'd drill a hole in the
    middle of a brick, not the mortar because the mortar is less likely to take
    the weight.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Oct 9, 2006
  4. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in

    > "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    >> Jim Scott <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I need to fix a washing line to a brick wall. I bought a big screw
    >>> hook intending to fit a big rawlplug in the mortar between bricks.
    >>> The guy in the shop said what I really want is what looks like a
    >>> chrome plated 6" nail with a bent over end where the head would be.
    >>> I have got both so which do I use and do I just hammer the nail
    >>> thing in the mortar or dril a hole, or what?
    >>>

    >> Oops wrong group. Sorry.

    > Just curious, which would be the right group?

    uk.d-i-y

    > The answer to your post is that you drill a hole, because (amongst
    > other things) you don't want to end up with a loose brick. I'd drill a
    > hole in the middle of a brick, not the mortar because the mortar is
    > less likely to take the weight.

    Your answer makes sense for the hoo & rawlplug, but I'm not sure about
    the spikey thing.

    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK
    Jim Scott, Oct 9, 2006
  5. Jim Scott

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    > "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in
    >
    >> "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    >>> Jim Scott <> wrote in

    >>> Oops wrong group. Sorry.

    >> Just curious, which would be the right group?

    > uk.d-i-y

    Thanks. It always amazes me quite how many newsgroups there are.

    >> The answer to your post is that you drill a hole, because (amongst
    >> other things) you don't want to end up with a loose brick. I'd drill a
    >> hole in the middle of a brick, not the mortar because the mortar is
    >> less likely to take the weight.

    > Your answer makes sense for the hoo & rawlplug, but I'm not sure about
    > the spikey thing.

    I'm not sure about the spiky thing either. If it has a hook where the head
    would be (if it were a nail - going by your original description) then what
    are you supposed to hit if you used a hammer? What did the guy in the shop
    say who sold it to you? or did he leave that part out?

    I'd use the screw hook.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Oct 9, 2006
  6. Jim Scott

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:08:23 +0100, Brian Cryer wrote:

    > "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    >> "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just curious, which would be the right group?

    >> uk.d-i-y

    > Thanks. It always amazes me quite how many newsgroups there are.
    >
    >>> The answer to your post is that you drill a hole, because (amongst
    >>> other things) you don't want to end up with a loose brick. I'd drill a
    >>> hole in the middle of a brick, not the mortar because the mortar is
    >>> less likely to take the weight.

    >> Your answer makes sense for the hoo & rawlplug, but I'm not sure about
    >> the spikey thing.

    > I'm not sure about the spiky thing either. If it has a hook where the head
    > would be (if it were a nail - going by your original description) then what
    > are you supposed to hit if you used a hammer? What did the guy in the shop
    > say who sold it to you? or did he leave that part out?
    >
    > I'd use the screw hook.

    Don't ask.
    I sent the wife to get a big rawlplug and she came back with both them and a
    spikey thing. I suppose you bash the bent over bit,
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Oct 9, 2006
  7. Jim Scott

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote:

    > then what
    > are you supposed to hit if you used a hammer? What did the guy in the shop
    > say who sold it to you? or did he leave that part out?
    >
    > I'd use the screw hook.

    Exactly my thoughts.

    Just by the way, Jim, sure, drilling the middle of the brick will
    resulot in stronger but if it is good mortar, newish and the plug
    and screw are not miserable scrawny things, it is easier and safe
    to use the mortar, the force is not perpendicular to the bricks
    when the washing is up unless the house is on the side of a hill
    and the silly builder mistakenly took his base horizontal from
    the slope instead of the tangent to the earth itself.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 9, 2006