    previously there with 10.4's broken ruby? Can I compile my own and have
    it work? Where can I go from here because I was told to use the ruby
    howto on technoblog.
    Rawn027, Nov 21, 2005

  2. Rawn027

    Dave Baldwin Guest

    On 22 Nov 2005, at 13:50, Michal Suchanek wrote:

    > On 11/21/05, Rawn027 <> wrote:
    >> I get an error saying that ruby.h cannot be found please install dev
    >> tools but i have dev tools installed and ruby.h is there when i use
    >> locate. I have no idea how to fix this, did 10.4.3 fix the problems
    >> previously there with 10.4's broken ruby? Can I compile my own and
    >> have
    >> it work? Where can I go from here because I was told to use the ruby
    >> howto on technoblog.

    > Hello
    >
    > You can install fink, and use the fink package of ruby. Since ruby
    > does need some tweaking to build on OS X you should probably try
    > installing some package management system (fink, darwinports,
    > gentoo,..) that provides a collection of patches that makes ruby work
    > (more or less) seamlessly on OS X.
    >
    > hth
    >
    > Michal

    Ruby is trivial to install on OS X without using fink and friends.

    Assuming you have downloaded it already, navigate to the folder
    within a terminal window.
    Type (as per the readme)
    /configure
    make
    make test
    sudo make install
    (this will prompt you for your password)

    This will place a copy of ruby in /usr/local/bin. Include this in
    your path. For csh edit your .cshrc file in your home directory and
    add the line (or modify it):
    set path = (/usr/local/bin $path)

    and either open a new terminal window or type rehash to make the new
    path available.

    I did just this a few days ago on 10.4.3 and it works like a charm.

    Dave.
    Dave Baldwin, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Rawn027

    Dave Baldwin Guest

    On 22 Nov 2005, at 16:52, Michal Suchanek wrote:

    > On 11/22/05, Dave Baldwin <> wrote:

    >>> Hello
    >>>
    >>> You can install fink, and use the fink package of ruby. Since ruby
    >>> does need some tweaking to build on OS X you should probably try
    >>> installing some package management system (fink, darwinports,
    >>> gentoo,..) that provides a collection of patches that makes ruby
    >>> work
    >>> (more or less) seamlessly on OS X.
    >>>
    >>> hth
    >>>
    >>> Michal

    >> Ruby is trivial to install on OS X without using fink and friends.

    > What version did you use?

    dave 1% which ruby
    /usr/local/bin/ruby
    dave 2% ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21) [powerpc-darwin8.2.2]
    dave 3%

    OS X 10.4.3, build 8F46

    I haven't noticed any problems.

    Dave.