Flash object in HTML; shows in FF, not in IE

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by avanhalen@gmail.com, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    To embed flash objects in my pages, I read them from a database.
    A script file (Filedownload.aspx) reads it from the database, and
    streams it to the browser.

    Here are two example flash objects in a page. The first 1 (a simple
    link to an existing swf-file on the webserver) is showing in each
    browser (IE & FF), while the other one (using the filedownload page) is
    only being shown in FF.

    Does it have something to do with file-extension?
    I'm stuck here...

    Any help is appreciated !!

    <embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
    src="/Files/cubes.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    scale="ShowAll" play="true" loop="true" menu="true" wmode="Window"
    quality="1"></embed>

    <embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
    src="/Files/filedownload.aspx?fileid=5cb316a4-363b-457e-b60d-e10e457a31ea&output=flash"
    type="application/x-shockwave-flash" scale="ShowAll" play="true"
    loop="true" menu="true" wmode="Window" quality="1"></embed>

    , Aug 31, 2006

  2. You are keeping in mind that IE has been changed in the way objects can be
    embedded into a web page due to the eolas patent. Try clicking on it to see
    if it's possible that the flash just isn't activated. The other thing is
    the object tag. Keep in mind that the embed coding is used by one browser
    and the object coding is used by another. an example for your first flash
    would be:

    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"
    width="179" height="180">
    <param name="movie" value="/Files/cubes.swf">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <param name="menu" value="true">
    <param name="play" value="true">
    <param name="wmode" value="Window">
    <param name="scale" value="ShowAll">
    <embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
    src="/Files/cubes.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    scale="ShowAll" play="true" loop="true" menu="true" wmode="Window"
    quality="1"></embed>
    </object>

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Aug 31, 2006

    Hey Mark

    As mentioned : a direct link to a swf file on the server show the flash
    object in my browser. But when using the FileDownload.aspx to stream
    the flash object to the browser it doesn't show.
    However, surrounding the embed element with the object element like you
    mentioned shows the flash object.

    So my next step is. Just use the object element AND the embed element.
    My problem was that I'm using FCKEditor to create content, and of
    course the way FCK implements handling of Flash objects: it inserts an
    embed element in the editor only...

    I came up with an idea (not to touch FCK) is whenever I want to display
    content on my website, I simply transform the content through a xslt
    (it's xhtml) which adds the object element.

    And everything is working. Even Firefox shows the flash objects if
    embedded in the object element!

    Thanks for pointing this out Mark !

    Albert

    , Sep 1, 2006