Flicker

Shelly

Doesn't anyone have a suggestion for the IE6 flicker problem when mousing
over menus quickly?

I tried the Javascript solution I found but it didn't work. It was to put
this in the <head> area.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>
try { document.execCommand('BackgroundImageCache', false, true); } catch(e)
{}
</SCRIPT>

Els

Shelly said:
Doesn't anyone have a suggestion for the IE6 flicker problem when mousing
over menus quickly?

I tried the Javascript solution I found but it didn't work. It was to put
this in the <head> area.

Glue the two images together, and just set the background-position to
change on hover. That way IE6 doesn't fetch the image every time you
mouse over it.

Shelly

Els said:
Glue the two images together, and just set the background-position to
change on hover. That way IE6 doesn't fetch the image every time you
mouse over it.

What two images?
What do you mean by "glue"?

I have a menu on the side with three menu items. When clicked, two of them
expand into submenus. (This problem is also there for the submenus). Each
submenu has a hyperlink. Moving the mouse rapidly up and down causes the
flicker of the entire screen. The menu items are nothing more than text
with a background. The colors change on hover. So, I don't know what you
mean with "glue the two images".

Els

Shelly said:
What two images?

The one you see before hovering/mousing over the menu, and the one you
see while hovering/mousing over it.
What do you mean by "glue"?

'stick' :)
I have a menu on the side with three menu items. When clicked, two of them
expand into submenus. (This problem is also there for the submenus). Each
submenu has a hyperlink. Moving the mouse rapidly up and down causes the
flicker of the entire screen.

Ah see, you didn't explain that in your first post, and you didn't
give a link either, so I just assumed you were talking about rollover
images, which do indeed tend to flicker on mouseover in IE6.
The menu items are nothing more than text
with a background. The colors change on hover. So, I don't know what you
mean with "glue the two images".

Nothing really - forget it. I have no idea what your menu is doing. I
thought you were using images. Maybe because I saw the word
"BackgroundImageCache" in your JavaScript snippet?

If you can give a URL, someone else might see/know what is happening
and give you a solution.

Shelly

Els said:
The one you see before hovering/mousing over the menu, and the one you
see while hovering/mousing over it.

'stick' :)

Ah see, you didn't explain that in your first post, and you didn't
give a link either, so I just assumed you were talking about rollover
images, which do indeed tend to flicker on mouseover in IE6.

Nothing really - forget it. I have no idea what your menu is doing. I
thought you were using images. Maybe because I saw the word
"BackgroundImageCache" in your JavaScript snippet?

If you can give a URL, someone else might see/know what is happening
and give you a solution.

I did in the first post (not this thread). It is
www.festivalnetwork.com/events.php Do it in IE6. There is no problem in
IE7 and FF. To make it happen more quickly, expand the Events by Region by
clicking on it. This happens with top level and sub menus. Just move the
mouse up and down over the menu quickly.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:45:37
GMT Shelly scribed:
I did in the first post (not this thread). It is
www.festivalnetwork.com/events.php Do it in IE6. There is no
problem in IE7 and FF. To make it happen more quickly, expand the
Events by Region by clicking on it. This happens with top level and
sub menus. Just move the mouse up and down over the menu quickly.

I did this with some css in your stylesheet:

#SideLink a:hover {
color: #FFFFFF;
text-decoration:none;
XXpadding: 3px 0 0 0;
text-align:left;
text-indent: 5px;
}

(Notice the XX - a temp. negation) and it stopped flickering on a
downloaded copy.

Shelly

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 20 Nov 2007
19:45:37 GMT Shelly scribed:

I did this with some css in your stylesheet:

#SideLink a:hover {
color: #FFFFFF;
text-decoration:none;
XXpadding: 3px 0 0 0;
text-align:left;
text-indent: 5px;
}

(Notice the XX - a temp. negation) and it stopped flickering on a
downloaded copy.

Awesome!!!! I thank you ever so much. I put it in exactly as you have it
above. Can you please explain in a little more detail (for my education)
just what putting XX in front does?

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:45:32
GMT Shelly scribed:
Awesome!!!! I thank you ever so much. I put it in exactly as you
have it above. Can you please explain in a little more detail (for my
education) just what putting XX in front does?

It's just a cheater way of removing the line from counting. Browsers don't
parse malformed css so this is like eliminating it. I wouldn't advise
publishing the page that way; remove the line or change it so it no longer
has the bad effect. -And you're quite welcome.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

/* padding: 3px 0 0 0; */
It's just a cheater way of removing the line from counting. Browsers
don't parse malformed css so this is like eliminating it. I wouldn't
advise publishing the page that way; remove the line or change it so
it no longer has the bad effect. -And you're quite welcome.

Using comment markers to 'remove' it is better. <g> Doing so leaves no
doubt as to your intentions, and also protects you from next year's
browser, which might disregard /all/ CSS from that point on.

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard said:
/* padding: 3px 0 0 0; */

Using comment markers to 'remove' it is better. <g> Doing so leaves no
doubt as to your intentions, and also protects you from next year's
browser, which might disregard /all/ CSS from that point on.

I'm using a beta of Next Year's Browser. Damned think can't even *find*
this year's web sites... ;)

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 03:06:49 GMT
Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribed:
/* padding: 3px 0 0 0; */

Using comment markers to 'remove' it is better. <g> Doing so leaves no
doubt as to your intentions, and also protects you from next year's
browser, which might disregard /all/ CSS from that point on.

Agreed. I use it only for "easier" preliminary testing on browsers whose
reactions I know from experience. (Saves keystrokes.)

For any permanent change, the line should be dealt with correctly.

Shelly

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 21 Nov 2007
03:06:49 GMT Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribed:

Agreed. I use it only for "easier" preliminary testing on browsers
whose reactions I know from experience. (Saves keystrokes.)

For any permanent change, the line should be dealt with correctly.

What I normally do to eliminate a line but not remove it is to enclose it in
a /* */ set.

As far as handling it correctly, what was wrong with the line:

padding: 3px 0 0 0;

that caused it to flicker?

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:24:38
GMT Shelly scribed:

That's the right way to comment-out a line in the said:
As far as handling it correctly, what was wrong with the line:

padding: 3px 0 0 0;

that caused it to flicker?

I can only guess, but first of all, ie handles margins and padding
differently than standards-compliant browsers. Whether that is relevant
may not be pertinent in any case; it just might be simply a matter of ie
redrawing the page with margins/padding included on hover styles and
execution.

Maybe someone here knows more about it. I just chalk it up to the
"brokenness" of ie.

Shelly

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 21 Nov 2007
18:24:38 GMT Shelly scribed:

I can only guess, but first of all, ie handles margins and padding
differently than standards-compliant browsers. Whether that is
relevant may not be pertinent in any case; it just might be simply a
matter of ie redrawing the page with margins/padding included on
hover styles and execution.

Maybe someone here knows more about it. I just chalk it up to the
"brokenness" of ie.

My experience is backend, so I am a php person. I know enough html and css
to get by, but that is not my area of expertise. So, until now, I always
used the most convenient browser which, in this case, was IE7.

On this most recent job I have had to do a lot more with htnl and css (like
this problem). I have had to make sure things work on FF and IE6. The more
I get into it, the better FF looks as far as quality and more IE
comparatively looks like a piece of crap. Even a litlle thing like looking
at page source. On FF it is indented nicely and color coded. On IE it
comes up in (ugh!) notepad. Then there is the developer tools plugin for
FF. It is great. You can easily see the javascript and css files (and
other stuff). (Fortunately, it impossible for it to see the php or asp
code.) The only drawback to FF is that it takes longer for a first loading.
I also didn't care enough for Opera or Netscape to consider changing. By
contrast, I am about to set FF as my default browser.

Jonathan N. Little

Shelly said:
My experience is backend, so I am a php person. I know enough html and css
to get by, but that is not my area of expertise. So, until now, I always
used the most convenient browser which, in this case, was IE7.

On this most recent job I have had to do a lot more with htnl and css (like
this problem). I have had to make sure things work on FF and IE6. The more
I get into it, the better FF looks as far as quality and more IE
comparatively looks like a piece of crap.

You can see what web designers are always b*tching about! Things goes
smoothly and neat, simple CSS for a nice look and ARGH! it will not work
in IE!
Even a litlle thing like looking
at page source. On FF it is indented nicely and color coded. On IE it
comes up in (ugh!) notepad. Then there is the developer tools plugin for
FF. It is great. You can easily see the javascript and css files (and
other stuff). (Fortunately, it impossible for it to see the php or asp
code.)

Better not see it with IE or your server is very badly configured.

The only drawback to FF is that it takes longer for a first loading.
I also didn't care enough for Opera or Netscape to consider changing. By
contrast, I am about to set FF as my default browser.

Well it would load faster too if was not a web browser but and OS
component and already preloaded...

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 01:43:03
GMT Shelly scribed:
[...]

Firefox is my default browser, and I like it best. It does have some flaws
- they all do - but for me, the "user experience" <grin> is the most
pleasing of the lot. Furthermore, get this. I tried ie7 a bit after it
came out. True, it supports "the standards" considerably better than does
ie6, but I still switched right back to 6 because of the other stuff they
"neglected" (-like the crappy toolbar, no ftp, and more minor but
irritating imperfections.) Between the two, I will and do stick with ie6.
Happily, Opera seems to be making key improvements with each update. It
still has a few operational quirks, but I think eventually it will be a
top-flight browser. On the down side, I doubt if any browser will _ever_
be perfect so we'll just have to keep on making hacks for inter-operational
accordance.

Jonathan N. Little

Bone said:
Firefox is my default browser, and I like it best. It does have some flaws
- they all do - but for me, the "user experience" <grin> is the most
pleasing of the lot. Furthermore, get this. I tried ie7 a bit after it
came out. True, it supports "the standards" considerably better than does
ie6, but I still switched right back to 6 because of the other stuff they
"neglected" (-like the crappy toolbar,

"crappy toolbar"? What do you mean, vs IE6? II personally don't like the
FF default and the first thing I do is drag off the Google Search box to
clear some space for the Webdeveloper's Bar toggle button and at the
Enhanced History Manager and Enhanced Bookmark Search buttons. Not sure
what IE6 has that was so handy.
no ftp, and more minor but
irritating imperfections.)

No FTP? Of course because most folks won't need it and FF basic strategy
is an "a-la-cart" browser and you are suppose to add what you wish via
extensions:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=FTP&status=4
Search Add-ons :: Firefox Add-ons

I think FireFTP the better extension, there is even an extension to add
a toolbar button for it.
Between the two, I will and do stick with ie6.
Happily, Opera seems to be making key improvements with each update. It
still has a few operational quirks, but I think eventually it will be a
top-flight browser. On the down side, I doubt if any browser will _ever_
be perfect so we'll just have to keep on making hacks for inter-operational
accordance.

Funny, I never felt IE6 very customizable and I never like the idea that
it intensionally blurred the lines between what is local to my system
and what is not.

SeaMonkey is my default because I like the suite concept, but I develop
on Firefox.

Opera, which I have 3 versions 7-9 for testing has minor but really
annoying "features" that keep if from my default. The most irritating is
the inability to drag a URL to another browser, nor receive one from
another browser. Even as uncooperative as MS can be I can drag a URL
from Firefox to IE from IE to SeaMonkey or to Netscape and back. While
developing I will have several browsers open and Opera just refuses to
play ball. Yes, I can select and copy the address and paste it into the
address bar, or drag the URL to the desktop and then drag the shortcut
to Opera, but not browser to browser. Dang it all other browser can do
it, what's up with Opera?

BootNic

[...]

My Opera has a few buttons for such things.

One for each of the following: FireFox,IE 7,IE 6, Safari, SeaMonkey

http://operawatch.com/news/2007/07...- internet-explorer-directly-from-opera.html

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:28:09
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:
"crappy toolbar"? What do you mean, vs IE6? II personally don't like
the FF default and the first thing I do is drag off the Google Search
box to clear some space for the Webdeveloper's Bar toggle button and
at the Enhanced History Manager and Enhanced Bookmark Search buttons.
Not sure what IE6 has that was so handy.

It's what it doesn't have. I trim my ie6 toolbar down to 1 line as I do
in Firefox, but ie6 takes the prize as being the thinnest, thereby
maximizing content space. You may be able to add crap in ie7, but
removing it is a different matter. And, btw, what's with the
"misplaced" refresh button? -Another "wonderful" MS innovation?
No FTP? Of course because most folks won't need it and FF basic
strategy is an "a-la-cart" browser and you are suppose to add what you
wish via extensions:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=FTP&status=4
Search Add-ons :: Firefox Add-ons

I think FireFTP the better extension, there is even an extension to
add a toolbar button for it.

I was comparing ie6 to ie7, not either to Firefox. FF is my main
browser, but I still use ie6 for various functions not limited to
testing. The drag-and-drop folder-view ftp is great.
Funny, I never felt IE6 very customizable and I never like the idea
that it intensionally blurred the lines between what is local to my
system and what is not.

SeaMonkey is my default because I like the suite concept, but I
develop on Firefox.

Opera, which I have 3 versions 7-9 for testing has minor but really
annoying "features" that keep if from my default.

Agreed. I use SeaMonkey, too, but wish Mozilla would update its
"preferences" addressing to the "tools" menu item where it belongs.
Also, I like Opera's "Quick Preferences" idea for on-the-fly changes (but
it _does_ have some issues elsewhere.)
The most irritating
is the inability to drag a URL to another browser, nor receive one
from another browser. Even as uncooperative as MS can be I can drag a
URL from Firefox to IE from IE to SeaMonkey or to Netscape and back.
While developing I will have several browsers open and Opera just
refuses to play ball. Yes, I can select and copy the address and paste
it into the address bar, or drag the URL to the desktop and then drag
the shortcut to Opera, but not browser to browser. Dang it all other
browser can do it, what's up with Opera?

Well, I actually never tried that. Ya sure you're not just being
doraymeish in your expectations? True, if it can be done with other
browsers, it probably should be available in Opera, but it's such a
trifling little thing one would expect to be out of the realm of things
which can make a grown man cry...

Jonathan N. Little

BootNic said:
My Opera has a few buttons for such things.

One for each of the following: FireFox,IE 7,IE 6, Safari, SeaMonkey

http://operawatch.com/news/2007/07...- internet-explorer-directly-from-opera.html

So I have to make a button for each browser that I would like Opera to
open a link in? Somehow this is equivalent to being able to drag any
link or address in the address bar to any available browser window
(regardless of the branding)?