Flicker

Jonathan N. Little

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:28:09
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

It's what it doesn't have. I trim my ie6 toolbar down to 1 line as I do
in Firefox, but ie6 takes the prize as being the thinnest, thereby
maximizing content space.

So you mean IE6 has a thinner toolbar than FF? Not with mine, even with
small icons and no text IE6's toolbar is taller than FF's. Maybe it is
the theme that you are using. I am currently using Cute 3.3.1. Do you
have Use small icons and show icons (only) in customize for the toolbar?

You may be able to add crap in ie7, but
removing it is a different matter. And, btw, what's with the
"misplaced" refresh button? -Another "wonderful" MS innovation?

Oh yeah! IE7 sucks! You can't even drag the refresh button in front of
the address bar, Big Bill must have made the decree! And this new UI
crap, the little helper buttons way over on the right but someone
decided to hide "Help" off-screen! (Not I need it but do you think that
is a great idea for newbies?)

Damn Apple! Yeah I blame Macs, I think MS started believing those "MAC
PC" commercials and started putting priority on eye-candy over
functionality and efficiency!
I was comparing ie6 to ie7, not either to Firefox. FF is my main
browser, but I still use ie6 for various functions not limited to
testing. The drag-and-drop folder-view ftp is great.

What other way is there?
Agreed. I use SeaMonkey, too, but wish Mozilla would update its
"preferences" addressing to the "tools" menu item where it belongs.
Also, I like Opera's "Quick Preferences" idea for on-the-fly changes (but
it _does_ have some issues elsewhere.)

Legacy, you know that on Linux in Firefox's setting are under "Edit >
Preferences" too.
Well, I actually never tried that. Ya sure you're not just being
doraymeish in your expectations? True, if it can be done with other
browsers, it probably should be available in Opera, but it's such a
trifling little thing one would expect to be out of the realm of things
which can make a grown man cry...

Well I did say is was small, but irritating because it is something that
I do often. I'll have server different browsers open when I am
finalizing a design and it is just so ease to drag and drop the current
page to test and compare...

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Opera, which I have 3 versions 7-9 for testing has minor but really
annoying "features" that keep if from my default. The most irritating is
the inability to drag a URL to another browser, nor receive one from
another browser. Even as uncooperative as MS can be I can drag a URL
from Firefox to IE from IE to SeaMonkey or to Netscape and back. While
developing I will have several browsers open and Opera just refuses to
play ball. Yes, I can select and copy the address and paste it into the
address bar, or drag the URL to the desktop and then drag the shortcut
to Opera, but not browser to browser. Dang it all other browser can do
it, what's up with Opera?

On a Mac, you can grab a url with the mouse from one browser and
drop it on the Opera app icon and it opens fine in Opera.

Shelly

Here is another question. I have IE7, FF, Opera and Netscape on my PC. I
would like to be able to test in IE6. On my laptop I tried removing IE7
using the Add/Remove Software for Windows components and it appeared to
succeed. I then downloaded and tried to install IE6. It stopped because it
said a higher version was present (NOT!). This was even after a reboot.

So, for now, I have borrowed an old computer from a friend and it cluttering
up my office. It's sole purpose is for IE6 testing.

Suggestions?

Shelly

Shelly said:
Here is another question. I have IE7, FF, Opera and Netscape on my
PC. I would like to be able to test in IE6. On my laptop I tried
removing IE7 using the Add/Remove Software for Windows components and
it appeared to succeed. I then downloaded and tried to install IE6. It
stopped because it said a higher version was present (NOT!). This
was even after a reboot.
So, for now, I have borrowed an old computer from a friend and it
cluttering up my office. It's sole purpose is for IE6 testing.

Suggestions?

Found it. At http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone I can download
a IE6 that can run on the same PC that I have IE7 load on.

Jonathan N. Little

Shelly said:
Here is another question. I have IE7, FF, Opera and Netscape on my PC. I
would like to be able to test in IE6. On my laptop I tried removing IE7
using the Add/Remove Software for Windows components and it appeared to
succeed. I then downloaded and tried to install IE6. It stopped because it
said a higher version was present (NOT!). This was even after a reboot.

So, for now, I have borrowed an old computer from a friend and it cluttering
up my office. It's sole purpose is for IE6 testing.

Suggestions?

What is your OS? If it is Vista then you're Vista'd(new term for
'screwed') You have to use some virtual machine SW. If WinXP then you
can have IE7 and you can install the standalone version of IE6

http://browsers.evolt.org/

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:29:28
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:
So you mean IE6 has a thinner toolbar than FF? Not with mine, even
with small icons and no text IE6's toolbar is taller than FF's. Maybe
it is the theme that you are using. I am currently using Cute 3.3.1.
Do you have Use small icons and show icons (only) in customize for the
toolbar?

You're absolutely right! Both these my browsers have only a single "bar";
I moved the lower stuff up. Thought it rather strange in FF that there
then was a thinner but distinct lower blank "bar" where some stuff used to
be. I didn't realize I could de-activate what they call the "navigation
toolbar" without adverse affect (-until I checked after reading your
message.) (Ie's automatically vanishes.) Now Firefox has the skinniest
"bar" and most client-height (its statusbar is also squatter.) However...

My home page is basically a list exceeding the viewport height by about 50%
at "normal" font-size and full extension. I've noticed in the past that
Firefox seems to add an extra pixel to the line-height in any page compared
to ie and Opera. Ergo, although I have more viewport-height, there still
is (very slightly) less of the "list" visible. I say we sue.
Oh yeah! IE7 sucks! You can't even drag the refresh button in front of
the address bar, Big Bill must have made the decree! And this new UI
crap, the little helper buttons way over on the right but someone
decided to hide "Help" off-screen! (Not I need it but do you think
that is a great idea for newbies?)

Damn Apple! Yeah I blame Macs, I think MS started believing those "MAC
PC" commercials and started putting priority on eye-candy over
functionality and efficiency!

Yup. I had the same thought awhile back - part of the reason for my
skepticism of MS's fundamental intelligence.
What other way is there?

Well, this works exactly like having 2 folders open on the desktop (except
'move' becomes 'copy'). The handful of other ftp clients I've tried
definitely didn't work that way. You sometimes had to select shit and
sometimes even label files as text or binary, then hit "execute" or
whatever. I prefer the OS way.
Legacy, you know that on Linux in Firefox's setting are under "Edit >
Preferences" too.

Well, I s'pose it's what you get used to. The SeaMonkey/Mozilla thing
though just seems out of place to me.
Well I did say is was small, but irritating because it is something
that I do often. I'll have server different browsers open when I am
finalizing a design and it is just so ease to drag and drop the
current page to test and compare...

Yeah, and honestly, it makes a difference. That's basically my whole
argument about ie6's ftp option.

Jonathan N. Little

Bone said:
Yeah, and honestly, it makes a difference. That's basically my whole
argument about ie6's ftp option.

Well I use WS_FTP Pro which has folder view, drag n drop FTPing. I had
FireFTP installed a while back, I thought it was similar with folder
view. Don't remember.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 23 Nov 2007 03:41:14 GMT
Jonathan N. Little scribed:
Well I use WS_FTP Pro which has folder view, drag n drop FTPing. I had
FireFTP installed a while back, I thought it was similar with folder
view. Don't remember.

One of these days I'll check out ws_ftp (if there's a shareware one.) I
have FileZilla on the other box and it's okay but not as easy normal drag-
and-drop.

Jonathan N. Little

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 23 Nov 2007 03:41:14 GMT
Jonathan N. Little scribed:

One of these days I'll check out ws_ftp (if there's a shareware one.) I
have FileZilla on the other box and it's okay but not as easy normal drag-
and-drop.

Only freeware one was WS_FTP LE 5.08 I used it for years, but won a free
full Pro copy awhile back in one of their website design contests. They
don't offer a freeware one any more, and only have a 30-day crippleware
one. I never would have bought one when the freeware one was so good.
I guess Ipswitch caught on! You have to find "ws_ftple508.exe" in
software repositories to get the freeware, or email me and I'll email
you an archived copy that I have.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:49:36
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:
Only freeware one was WS_FTP LE 5.08 I used it for years, but won a
free full Pro copy awhile back in one of their website design
contests. They don't offer a freeware one any more, and only have a
30-day crippleware
one. I never would have bought one when the freeware one was so
good.
I guess Ipswitch caught on! You have to find "ws_ftple508.exe" in
software repositories to get the freeware, or email me and I'll email
you an archived copy that I have.

Got it (just now) - from Estonia no less! (I think Estonia is the place
where all the banished Italians ended up, except Luigi.) I want to install
the file on my other computer, though, where I don't have the security and
confidence which comes with ie6...

Thanks for the tip.

Toby A Inkster

Jonathan said:
I guess Ipswitch caught on! You have to find "ws_ftple508.exe" in
software repositories to get the freeware, or email me and I'll email
you an archived copy that I have.

LE (light edition) was a fantastic FTP client. Although a little ugly and
grey, IMHO it beats the pants off any graphical FTP client that has come
since -- including the newer and more costly offerings from the same
company!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 22:06.]

It'll be in the Last Place You Look
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/21/no2id/

dorayme

Toby A Inkster said:
LE (light edition) was a fantastic FTP client. Although a little ugly and
grey, IMHO it beats the pants off any graphical FTP client that has come
since -- including the newer and more costly offerings from the same
company!

Is this the right thread for asking all OT questions?

If it is:

A friend asked me how to get German writing (into which he breaks
out into occasionally when writing emails to friends in Germany)
spellchecked in the normal ways that his English typing is
checked (underlined in red and whatever)? He uses Windows XP and
Word 2000, and Outlook Express.

If it is not ok, he can go and find out for himself. I certainly
will not try to press anything OT onto the finest bunch of
earthlings that ever did exist.

Toby A Inkster

dorayme said:
A friend asked me how to get German writing (into which he breaks
out into occasionally when writing emails to friends in Germany)
spellchecked in the normal ways that his English typing is
checked (underlined in red and whatever)? He uses Windows XP and
Word 2000, and Outlook Express.

Install the German dictionaries for Word? (IIRC Outlook Express will use
Word's dictionaries if they're available.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 1 day, 3 min.]

Toby A Inkster said:
Install the German dictionaries for Word? (IIRC Outlook Express will use
Word's dictionaries if they're available.)

Yeah, that is what I told him. He said stuff like "Can you be
more specific?" and I backed out of the room mumbling about not
knowing much about Windows, look on your CDs, on the internet...

I noticed there are lots of German to English dicts on the
internet... but what he needs is a simple list of German words as
a data base and in a file that can be put somewhere and it simply
works to spellcheck.

Perhaps I will search his Word CDs (Would not be on his Windows
XP install DVD I guess) next week if I get time. I'd prefer you
fly over and help him though, there'd be a couple of homebrew
stubbies in it for you (I noticed in my friend's fridge that he
has a couple of mine unopened. You cook and stuff Toby, so you
might appreciate that my beer is made from the grain and like the
Germans, with no cane sugar).

Toby A Inkster

dorayme said:
You cook and stuff Toby, so you might appreciate that my beer is made
from the grain and like the Germans, with no cane sugar

I'm actually in the second fermentation stage of my latest batch of cider
right now. :) (Sparkling cider is twice fermented: the first time's to
make it alcoholic, but the second time, in the bottle, makes it bubbly.
It's the same process as champagne.) I've added sugar though, and plenty
of it, as the apples from my parents' garden was very sour.

And since the 1980s, the Germans have been able to use whatever
ingredients they like in beer. (Well, any ingredients that are generally
approved for consumption -- they couldn't use strychnine for instance.)
They can't market it as a traditional German beer though -- in much the
same way as wines made outside the Champagne region can't be marketed as
"Champagne". Frankly, who needs champagne when Ridgeview is practically on
my doorstep? <http://www.ridgeview.co.uk/>.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 1 day, 4:34.]

Toby A Inkster said:
I'm actually in the second fermentation stage of my latest batch of cider
right now. :) (Sparkling cider is twice fermented: the first time's to
make it alcoholic, but the second time, in the bottle, makes it bubbly.
It's the same process as champagne.) I've added sugar though, and plenty
of it, as the apples from my parents' garden was very sour.

I make cider now and then. It is quite a bother the way I do it.
Sometimes I add some pears too. Anyway, I get a big bunch of
apples, I crush them all up and into a tub, lots of extra pure
apple juice, I add some raisons, fair bit of honey. I use a hand
held blender to crush up the apples rather than a press. I put in
the lot, cores and all at first. For five days, good stir up a
few times daily, pulp and all. After that, rack and strain the
pulp off, juice going into into another fermenter.

Then a few weeks of fermenting (best in cool temps, Syd winters
are excellent for brewing). After all is pretty well fermented
out, rack to 1 gallon dark gin flagons, and store for 3 months
under house, needs cool. After these months, bottling time. You
can condition a little with a teaspoon or so of sugar if you want
bubbly. Leave bottles up to a year before opening. This longer
process gets you more a lovely wine. Simple really, if you want
rough scrumpy or cidery cider, open earlier, if you want finer
wine, leave it longer. If you are truly patient, it becomes hard
to tell it was apples that made the wine, but it is a fine drop
indeed.

And since the 1980s, the Germans have been able to use whatever
ingredients they like in beer

Yes, but I take my values from before the world got so close to
self destruction with its licentious and lax ways...

Chris F.A. Johnson

I'm actually in the second fermentation stage of my latest batch of cider
right now. :) (Sparkling cider is twice fermented: the first time's to
make it alcoholic, but the second time, in the bottle, makes it bubbly.
It's the same process as champagne.) I've added sugar though, and plenty
of it, as the apples from my parents' garden was very sour.

And since the 1980s, the Germans have been able to use whatever
ingredients they like in beer. (Well, any ingredients that are generally
approved for consumption -- they couldn't use strychnine for instance.)
They can't market it as a traditional German beer though -- in much the
same way as wines made outside the Champagne region can't be marketed as
"Champagne". Frankly, who needs champagne when Ridgeview is practically on
my doorstep? <http://www.ridgeview.co.uk/>.

I hope their wine is better than their web site.
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/ridgeview.jpg>