Folders-type menu. Problems ??

Les Juby

Some time back we assembled an Explore-type menu system (tree of
folders) for a client site which has grown to be a pivotal function of
the site in that deep navigation into the South African Education Law
all hangs off this structure.

From our side, it has all worked perfectly and the client is about to
launch the site, but claims that he has continual problems with some
folders opening to pages where files cannot be found, and the menu
system then locks up. Fine.... accept that. Except that we cannot
replicate the problem. On several machines we have opened the tree
structure hundreds of times, and with never a single problem.

The first indication the client has of a problem is when the site
loads, and some of the "plus signs" (used to indicate that there are
underlying folders) do not show. Just the red background. But if
you mouse over where the "plus sign" should be - then the "hand icon"
appears and the correct link is shown in the URL box. But if you
click to the link it shows "done" but the link won't load. Reverse
back to the menus and the buttons now no longer work and most don't
display.

This seems to be happening only within the client's site which is a
simple Windows Network connecting through a broadband DSL router to
the internet. He claims that on three different office machines he
can replicate the problem.

The problem is intermittant and will often work fine for an extended
session. next visit to the site and the problems will be back.

Could this be a caching issue.? Or older Java engines.? Maybe we
should be using a more universal javascripting routine. Sadly our
in-house java skills are low and we've just hacked away at public
scrips to get this working.

the site is at: http://www.up2speed.co.za/

the file is at: http://www.up2speed.co.za/side_asp.txt
(this is a copy of the file side.asp
which runs that left hand side navigation)

The javascript pulled into side.asp as: demoFramesetNodes.js can be
viewed at: http://www.up2speed.co.za/demoFramesetNodes_js.txt

There are two other JS config type files (which we havn't modifed)
which load before the main file above:
http://www.up2speed.co.za/ua_js.txt
http://www.up2speed.co.za/ftiens4_js.txt

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Les & Brendon

McKirahan

Les Juby said:
Some time back we assembled an Explore-type menu system (tree of
folders) for a client site which has grown to be a pivotal function of
the site in that deep navigation into the South African Education Law
all hangs off this structure.

From our side, it has all worked perfectly and the client is about to
[...]

Have you contacted http://www.treeview.net?
Their URL is in some of the include files.

The FAQ includes a Troubleshooting section:
http://www.treeview.net/treemenu/faq.asp#troubleshootinggen

Is the client's browser/version suspect?
It's okay under IE5.5, NS6.2, and FF1.04.