    version of Opera.

    How can I fix this using all % fonts.

    Thanks.

    JH, Jan 26, 2007

  2. JH

    Dylan Parry Guest

    JH wrote:
    > Can someone explain why Opera renders the following with a different font
    > size than either Firefox or IE:

    [...]

    Most likely your personal settings. You can generally, in a good
    browser, specify your preferred font and size. I'm guessing here, but
    the likeliness is that in Opera, your preferred font size is smaller
    than that of Firefox or Internet Explorer.

    Like all matters regarding fonts, you can't change the way that fonts
    will appear on other people's browsers, but you can of course change the
    settings in your own. Be aware that other people's browsers will very
    likely have different settings to your own anyway, so you can't
    guarantee that your fonts will look the same on their screens, but you
    can at least rest assured that the ratio (eg. the size of headings to
    paragraphs) will remain the same (caveat: as long as the text isn't
    smaller than the user's defined minimum font size).

    In Opera, for example, your font settings are in "tools > preferences >
    advanced > fonts", and in Firefox they are in "tools > options > content
    > fonts & colors > advanced". I'd suggest taking a look at the settings

    in there to see what is different between the two, or alternatively just
    accept that it is how it is ;)

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
    against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

    Dylan Parry, Jan 26, 2007

  3. JH

    JH Guest

    I think I have overcome the problem by using 100% in the body tag and for
    the rest to use em. But I am still curious to know why % values cause this
    problem with Opera.

    JH, Jan 26, 2007
  4. JH

    Dylan Parry Guest

    JH wrote:

    > I think I have overcome the problem by using 100% in the body tag and for
    > the rest to use em. But I am still curious to know why % values cause this
    > problem with Opera.

    That is odd. I haven't come across this problem before, so presumed it
    was a settings issue! I suppose it is akin to the 'em' problem
    encountered in Internet Explorer (is that fixed in IE7?)

    Dylan Parry, Jan 26, 2007
  5. JH

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Jan 26, 11:01 am, "JH" <> wrote:
    > Can someone explain why Opera renders the following with a different font
    > size than either Firefox or IE:

    > The 80% is smaller in Opera than in IE6 or Firefox. I have the latest
    > version of Opera.

    In my Opera both lines are very different to what IE show, but then I
    have different defaults in Opera than I do in IE.

    Anyway, Opera always rounds _down_ to the whole pixel. So, if 80% was
    12.9 pixels then IE and FF would show the text as 13 pixels and Opera
    would show it as 12 pixels. I reported this a bug years and several
    versions ago but no fix yet. :-(

    > How can I fix this using all % fonts.

    I wouldn't worry about it. You're going to get much bigger differences
    for people with different default sizes, minimum sizes, etc.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jan 26, 2007
  6. JH

    Ed Seedhouse Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:01:06 -0000, "JH" <> wrote:

    >Can someone explain why Opera renders the following with a different font
    >size than either Firefox or IE:

    >The 80% is smaller in Opera than in IE6 or Firefox. I have the latest
    >version of Opera.
    >
    >How can I fix this using all % fonts.

    Ultimately you can't. You can't make all browsers render any page
    exactly the same as all other browsers. You don't have control over
    that, and trying to get control over that is an exercise in futility.
    The Web is a flexible medium and that's just the way things are.

    Ed Seedhouse, Jan 26, 2007
  7. JH

    Toby Inkster Guest

    JH wrote:

    > The 80% is smaller in Opera than in IE6 or Firefox. I have the latest
    > version of Opera.

    How many of your visitors are likely to compare these three renderings
    side-by-side? Hint: none of them. As long as it looks reasonably good in
    the all, what's the problem?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 27, 2007
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Steve Pugh"
    <> writing in news:1169814978.269470.314110
    @s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

    > Anyway, Opera always rounds _down_ to the whole pixel. So, if 80% was
    > 12.9 pixels then IE and FF would show the text as 13 pixels and Opera
    > would show it as 12 pixels. I reported this a bug years and several
    > versions ago but no fix yet. :-(

    Thanks for clearing that up. I use Opera at work for my development
    browser, and always wondered why that was. It doesn't matter to me and the
    boss only cares about IE6.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 27, 2007
  9. JH

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 27 Jan, 01:36, Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    > How many of your visitors are likely to compare these three renderings
    > side-by-side? Hint: none of them.

    One of them. Your boss / customer.

    This simple fact is one of the greatest current barriers to progress
    in web design. 8-(

    Andy Dingley, Jan 29, 2007
  10. JH

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Andy Dingley" <> wrote:

    > On 27 Jan, 01:36, Toby Inkster <> wrote:
    >
    > > How many of your visitors are likely to compare these three renderings
    > > side-by-side? Hint: none of them.

    > One of them. Your boss / customer.
    >
    > This simple fact is one of the greatest current barriers to progress
    > in web design. 8-(

    How come today you are saying things that are not just true, but
    deeply true? Whatever, you are on a roll.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 29, 2007
  11. JH

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 29 Jan, 22:54, dorayme <> wrote:

    > How come today you are saying things that are not just true, but
    > deeply true? Whatever, you are on a roll.

    It's a particularly fine night for propagation of the Optical
    Telegraph to Mars.

    Andy Dingley, Jan 29, 2007