forcing or dictating a web page size

the_wah

i've tried to read up, search the internet, ask my drinking friends for
the answer to this question, but have yet been unable to come up with
one:

is there a way to force the index.html page of a site to conform to
specific page size?

still thinking,

the_wah

Travis Newbury

the_wah said:
is there a way to force the index.html page of a site to conform to
specific page size?

You can use Javascript to change the window size. Bu it won't work
everywhere so, if you think about it, it is probably something you
really don't want to do unless you are popping us a specific sized
window for a web application.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, the_wah quothed
is there a way to force the index.html page of a site to conform to
specific page size?

Put in all in a div with stated height and width and set the overflow to
hidden.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Neredbojias wrote :
With neither quill nor qualm, the_wah quothed

Put in all in a div with stated height and width and set the overflow to
hidden.

How are you then going to overcome my own user stylesheet where all my
declarations are !important? in particular width: auto and overflow: visible

Gérard

Roy Schestowitz

Travis said:
You can use Javascript to change the window size. Bu it won't work
everywhere so, if you think about it, it is probably something you
really don't want to do unless you are popping us a specific sized
window for a web application.

Every Web application I can think of at the moment is designed to
accommodate for all (reasonable, say 600x800+) screen sizes. So, I don't
think it's ever justified to mess about with the window.

For the same reasons, people hate pop-ups. When you place an application in
your workspace and restrict it to stay within the window decorations, you
don't want it to invade other processes unless you permit that. Other such
nuisances are focus stealing and sound/music.

Roy

Travis Newbury

Roy said:
Every Web application I can think of at the moment is designed to
accommodate for all (reasonable, say 600x800+) screen sizes. So, I don't
think it's ever justified to mess about with the window.

Do you put arbitrary limitations on all aspects of your life or only on
the web?
For the same reasons, people hate pop-ups. When you place an application in
your workspace and restrict it to stay within the window decorations, you
don't want it to invade other processes unless you permit that. Other such
nuisances are focus stealing and sound/music.

We make a web conferencing application that can be launched in two ways.
First is in a sized pop up window, the other is in the same browser
window as the launch page. Based on customer feedback the sized popup
is by far the most popular by a factor of almost 10 to 1. The main
reason given is the aesthetics of the presentation. We have similar
results for CBT software we sell but the main reason given is it is
easier to keep the user focused when they are not distracted by menus,
toolbars etc in the CBT. The LMS software that comes with the CBT
software, also based on customer feedback, does not have a pop up
window option because almost no one wanted it.

So while you personally may not like it, the overwhelming majority of
the users of two of these applications prefer the sized popup window.
We find we have more happy customers when we give them what they want
rather than putting limitations on them from the very beginning.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?= quothed
Neredbojias wrote :

How are you then going to overcome my own user stylesheet where all my
declarations are !important? in particular width: auto and overflow: visible

Well, I guess I can't, but who cares? For that small pittance of users
who insist on imposing their own styles on other people's creations,
they deserve what they get.

(PS: It's now time for you to play the accessibility card...)

Roy Schestowitz

Travis said:
[...]

Allow me to clarify a few things:

I have no resistance to the framework you describe. In the Web application
you are involved in, people voluntarily use it and accept its behaviour. It
sounds like you have chosen a very convenient setting too, so I would not
have criticised it.

I am against permissive browsers that conflict with the preference of the
errant Internet surfer. They serve the interests (possibly malevolent) of
the Web sites rather than the user of the local machine and consequently
are prone to attacks which jeopardise the computer. Likewise, some designs
choose to 'toy' with the user or force the user to adhere to very
restrictive settings. Do you remember these old Web sites that were
programmed to jiggle your browser window, or force full-screen, or have the
window controls escape your mouse? That is freedom that people have little
patience for. That's why it has become a thing of the past.

Roy

Travis Newbury

Roy said:
Do you remember these old Web sites that were
programmed to jiggle your browser window, or force full-screen, or have the
window controls escape your mouse? That is freedom that people have little
patience for. That's why it has become a thing of the past.

Man am I glad I did not bring up our musical shaking mouse cursor
application.... (0_o)