forcing or dictating a web page size

Discussion in 'HTML' started by the_wah, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. the_wah

    the_wah Guest

    i've tried to read up, search the internet, ask my drinking friends for
    the answer to this question, but have yet been unable to come up with
    one:

    is there a way to force the index.html page of a site to conform to
    specific page size?

    still thinking,

    the_wah
    the_wah, Jul 7, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. the_wah

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jul 7, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. the_wah wrote:
    > is there a way to force the index.html page of a site to conform to
    > specific page size?


    You can use Javascript to change the window size. Bu it won't work
    everywhere so, if you think about it, it is probably something you
    really don't want to do unless you are popping us a specific sized
    window for a web application.


    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jul 7, 2005
    #3
  4. the_wah

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, the_wah quothed

    > is there a way to force the index.html page of a site to conform to
    > specific page size?


    Put in all in a div with stated height and width and set the overflow to
    hidden.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
    Neredbojias, Jul 7, 2005
    #4
  5. Neredbojias wrote :
    > With neither quill nor qualm, the_wah quothed
    >
    >
    >>is there a way to force the index.html page of a site to conform to
    >>specific page size?

    >
    >
    > Put in all in a div with stated height and width and set the overflow to
    > hidden.
    >


    How are you then going to overcome my own user stylesheet where all my
    declarations are !important? in particular width: auto and overflow: visible

    GĂ©rard
    --
    remove blah to email me
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Jul 8, 2005
    #5
  6. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > the_wah wrote:
    >> is there a way to force the index.html page of a site to conform to
    >> specific page size?

    >
    > You can use Javascript to change the window size. Bu it won't work
    > everywhere so, if you think about it, it is probably something you
    > really don't want to do unless you are popping us a specific sized
    > window for a web application.


    Every Web application I can think of at the moment is designed to
    accommodate for all (reasonable, say 600x800+) screen sizes. So, I don't
    think it's ever justified to mess about with the window.

    For the same reasons, people hate pop-ups. When you place an application in
    your workspace and restrict it to stay within the window decorations, you
    don't want it to invade other processes unless you permit that. Other such
    nuisances are focus stealing and sound/music.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jul 8, 2005
    #6
  7. Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Every Web application I can think of at the moment is designed to
    > accommodate for all (reasonable, say 600x800+) screen sizes. So, I don't
    > think it's ever justified to mess about with the window.


    Do you put arbitrary limitations on all aspects of your life or only on
    the web?

    > For the same reasons, people hate pop-ups. When you place an application in
    > your workspace and restrict it to stay within the window decorations, you
    > don't want it to invade other processes unless you permit that. Other such
    > nuisances are focus stealing and sound/music.


    We make a web conferencing application that can be launched in two ways.
    First is in a sized pop up window, the other is in the same browser
    window as the launch page. Based on customer feedback the sized popup
    is by far the most popular by a factor of almost 10 to 1. The main
    reason given is the aesthetics of the presentation. We have similar
    results for CBT software we sell but the main reason given is it is
    easier to keep the user focused when they are not distracted by menus,
    toolbars etc in the CBT. The LMS software that comes with the CBT
    software, also based on customer feedback, does not have a pop up
    window option because almost no one wanted it.

    So while you personally may not like it, the overwhelming majority of
    the users of two of these applications prefer the sized popup window.
    We find we have more happy customers when we give them what they want
    rather than putting limitations on them from the very beginning.


    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jul 8, 2005
    #7
  8. the_wah

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?= quothed

    > Neredbojias wrote :
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, the_wah quothed
    > >
    > >
    > >>is there a way to force the index.html page of a site to conform to
    > >>specific page size?

    > >
    > >
    > > Put in all in a div with stated height and width and set the overflow to
    > > hidden.
    > >

    >
    > How are you then going to overcome my own user stylesheet where all my
    > declarations are !important? in particular width: auto and overflow: visible


    Well, I guess I can't, but who cares? For that small pittance of users
    who insist on imposing their own styles on other people's creations,
    they deserve what they get.

    (PS: It's now time for you to play the accessibility card...)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
    Neredbojias, Jul 8, 2005
    #8
  9. Re: Web applications page size

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Every Web application I can think of at the moment is designed to
    >> accommodate for all (reasonable, say 600x800+) screen sizes. So, I don't
    >> think it's ever justified to mess about with the window.

    >
    > Do you put arbitrary limitations on all aspects of your life or only on
    > the web?
    >
    >> For the same reasons, people hate pop-ups. When you place an application
    >> in your workspace and restrict it to stay within the window decorations,
    >> you don't want it to invade other processes unless you permit that. Other
    >> such nuisances are focus stealing and sound/music.

    >
    > We make a web conferencing application that can be launched in two ways.
    > First is in a sized pop up window, the other is in the same browser
    > window as the launch page. Based on customer feedback the sized popup
    > is by far the most popular by a factor of almost 10 to 1. The main
    > reason given is the aesthetics of the presentation. We have similar
    > results for CBT software we sell but the main reason given is it is
    > easier to keep the user focused when they are not distracted by menus,
    > toolbars etc in the CBT. The LMS software that comes with the CBT
    > software, also based on customer feedback, does not have a pop up
    > window option because almost no one wanted it.
    >
    > So while you personally may not like it, the overwhelming majority of
    > the users of two of these applications prefer the sized popup window.
    > We find we have more happy customers when we give them what they want
    > rather than putting limitations on them from the very beginning.


    Allow me to clarify a few things:

    I have no resistance to the framework you describe. In the Web application
    you are involved in, people voluntarily use it and accept its behaviour. It
    sounds like you have chosen a very convenient setting too, so I would not
    have criticised it.

    I am against permissive browsers that conflict with the preference of the
    errant Internet surfer. They serve the interests (possibly malevolent) of
    the Web sites rather than the user of the local machine and consequently
    are prone to attacks which jeopardise the computer. Likewise, some designs
    choose to 'toy' with the user or force the user to adhere to very
    restrictive settings. Do you remember these old Web sites that were
    programmed to jiggle your browser window, or force full-screen, or have the
    window controls escape your mouse? That is freedom that people have little
    patience for. That's why it has become a thing of the past.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jul 8, 2005
    #9
  10. Re: Web applications page size

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Do you remember these old Web sites that were
    > programmed to jiggle your browser window, or force full-screen, or have the
    > window controls escape your mouse? That is freedom that people have little
    > patience for. That's why it has become a thing of the past.


    Man am I glad I did not bring up our musical shaking mouse cursor
    application.... (0_o)


    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jul 8, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Art Thomas
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    583
    Art Thomas
    Jul 26, 2003
  2. tshad

    listbox forcing size of 4

    tshad, Apr 30, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    375
    tshad
    Apr 30, 2005
  3. jobs
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    478
    Nick Chan
    Nov 14, 2007
  4. Jason Cavett

    Preferred Size, Minimum Size, Size

    Jason Cavett, May 23, 2008, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    12,564
    Michael Jung
    May 25, 2008
  5. Harshal

    Forcing web page to load in a frame.

    Harshal, Jun 21, 2005, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    101
    Daniel Kirsch
    Jun 21, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page