    Form Authentication : Is it internally uses cookies?

    Regards,
    Shailesh Gajare

    SMG, May 7, 2005

  2. > Now if I login at one place, can I be treated as logged in at other place
    > also or it will again give me a login screen.

    This is just a guess, but if you store your logged in user in session state,
    and have both websites use a dedicated stateserver (or stateservice on
    either machine), I would think that user info should be available.

    At least "state service" is the first thing that popped into mind when I saw
    the words "two web servers" and "load balancing".

    Again, I may be off by a bit, here. :)

    Jeppe Jespersen
    Denmark

    Jeppe Jespersen, May 7, 2005

  3. If you are load balanced (as in a web farm), you can make use of the forms
    authentication without any problems. However, there is ONE thing you need to
    configure:

    Forms authentication uses the "machine key" to encrypt/decrypt tickets, so
    that the cookies can not be faked. In a web farm, each machine/application
    might have a different machine key, and this will cause problems
    re-authenticating the user. To get around this, make sure all the machine
    keys are the same. The following articles might help:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...n-us/cpgenref/html/gngrfmachinekeysection.asp

    Also, if you are using sessions in your web farm, make sure you use SQL
    server mode for session storage.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspnet/html/asp12282000.asp

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netWire

    "SMG" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > It might be a silly doubt, but it is a doubt....
    >
    > I am using form authentication for my website, now my web application

    is
    > gonna be deployed on two web servers with Load Balancing software in

    place.

    Manohar Kamath, May 7, 2005
  4. SMG

    Brock Allen Guest

    Yes, it uses cookies. Also, since you're coordinating the authentication
    across more than one application you proobabaly want to look into this:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...pconformsauthenticationacrossapplications.asp

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen