Form from another project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JB, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    I have an asp.net application that goes to a database and displays data
    from that database on maps.

    In a completely different project I also collect data and would like to
    map it, rather than recreate the map application in to my new
    application I would like to have my new application open up an instance
    of the existing map application, give it the data and the map
    application handle it from there.

    My problem here is that while I can do this by simply opening a new map
    form in JavaScript with a URL something like:

    http://www.domain.com/Map.aspx?Lati...23&Latitude=112.12&Longitude=12.356&Lat...etc.......

    I potentially have thousands of Latitudes and Longitudes and so this
    URL would become excessive. So what I want to know, is there some
    other means of me getting the latitude and longitude data to the map
    form, bearing in mind both applications will be on the same webserver
    in the same domain. It would be nice for example if in my new
    application I could say:

    Dim f as new ..\MapApplication\Map.aspx
    f.GeoData = myData
    f.Show

    Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

    JB, Nov 8, 2006

  2. JB

    Beemer Biker Guest

    "JB" <> wrote in message
    >I have an asp.net application that goes to a database and displays data
    > from that database on maps.
    >
    > In a completely different project I also collect data and would like to
    > map it, rather than recreate the map application in to my new
    > application I would like to have my new application open up an instance
    > of the existing map application, give it the data and the map
    > application handle it from there.
    >
    > My problem here is that while I can do this by simply opening a new map
    > form in JavaScript with a URL something like:
    >
    > http://www.domain.com/Map.aspx?Lati...23&Latitude=112.12&Longitude=12.356&Lat...etc.......
    >
    > I potentially have thousands of Latitudes and Longitudes and so this
    > URL would become excessive. So what I want to know, is there some
    > other means of me getting the latitude and longitude data to the map
    > form, bearing in mind both applications will be on the same webserver
    > in the same domain. It would be nice for example if in my new
    > application I could say:
    >
    > Dim f as new ..\MapApplication\Map.aspx
    > f.GeoData = myData
    > f.Show
    >
    > Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

    If the server can run a database, then issue a sql command to put the info
    into a ##TEMP table. The launching map display can then read from the
    tables. The table name would have to include a timestamp and username and
    the launched form would get the info about the tablename so it could get the
    data. Should work easy unless the server is not running a sql database.
    You can also replace each the lat long value with a 16bit binary angle which
    can save string memory. like Map.aspx?LL=1122abcd would be hex for binary
    lat of 1122 and the long would be abcd. So 1000 lat long's would be only
    1000*8 characters in length.

    Beemer Biker joestateson at grandecom dot net
    http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com
    http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT

    Beemer Biker, Nov 8, 2006

  3. JB