    Hope you can show me what I am missing or doing wrong.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Aaron

    Aaron Gray, Dec 26, 2007

  2. Aaron Gray

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Aaron Gray" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having problems with a form taking too much vertical space.
    >
    > The test example is here :-
    >
    > http://www.aarongray.org/Test/HTML/Form/test.html
    >
    > I have put a border around the form. It should take up less height than it
    > is doing.
    >
    > Hope you can show me what I am missing or doing wrong.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Aaron

    First, it does not take up much height at all in my FF or Safari.
    Second, use a doctype and validate it.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 27, 2007

  3. Aaron Gray

    rf Guest

    "Aaron Gray" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having problems with a form taking too much vertical space.
    >
    > The test example is here :-
    >
    > http://www.aarongray.org/Test/HTML/Form/test.html
    >
    > I have put a border around the form.

    No, you haven't. You've put a border on the div that contains the form.

    > It should take up less height than it is doing.

    The form is taking up as much vertical space as you have told it to, 10
    pixels. Firebug confirms this. It's the div that is taking up extra space,
    probably the forms margin-bottom.

    > Hope you can show me what I am missing or doing wrong.

    You are running the browser in quirks mode where it emulates all the bugs
    from older versions. Supply a valid doctype (strict HTML 4.01) and things
    will change considerably.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 27, 2007
  4. Aaron Gray

    Aaron Gray Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Aaron Gray" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am having problems with a form taking too much vertical space.
    >>
    >> The test example is here :-
    >>
    >> http://www.aarongray.org/Test/HTML/Form/test.html
    >>
    >> I have put a border around the form. It should take up less height than
    >> it
    >> is doing.
    >>
    >> Hope you can show me what I am missing or doing wrong.
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Aaron

    > First, it does not take up much height at all in my FF or Safari.

    Okay I have tried that now.

    > Second, use a doctype and validate it.

    Yes, I have been lazy. Although Google does not use doctype !:)

    Thanks,

    Aaron

    Aaron Gray, Dec 27, 2007
  5. Aaron Gray

    Aaron Gray Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "Aaron Gray" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am having problems with a form taking too much vertical space.
    >>
    >> The test example is here :-
    >>
    >> http://www.aarongray.org/Test/HTML/Form/test.html
    >>
    >> I have put a border around the form.

    > No, you haven't. You've put a border on the div that contains the form.
    >
    >> It should take up less height than it is doing.

    > The form is taking up as much vertical space as you have told it to, 10
    > pixels. Firebug confirms this. It's the div that is taking up extra space,
    > probably the forms margin-bottom.

    Yep, its the forms margin-bottom on IE !

    >> Hope you can show me what I am missing or doing wrong.

    > You are running the browser in quirks mode where it emulates all the bugs
    > from older versions. Supply a valid doctype (strict HTML 4.01) and things
    > will change considerably.

    Yes, forgot about quirks mode !

    Many thanks,

    Aaron

    Aaron Gray, Dec 27, 2007
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Aaron Gray"
    <> writing in

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Aaron Gray" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am having problems with a form taking too much vertical space.
    >>>
    >>> The test example is here :-
    >>>
    >>> http://www.aarongray.org/Test/HTML/Form/test.html
    >>>

    >> First, it does not take up much height at all in my FF or Safari.

    > Okay I have tried that now.
    >
    >> Second, use a doctype and validate it.

    > Yes, I have been lazy. Although Google does not use doctype !:)

    Who cares about Google? Google is not a browser.

    One thing Google does like, however, is error free marked up pages.
    It's a lot easier to parse good markup than tag soup.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 27, 2007
  7. Aaron Gray

    Vince Morgan Guest

    "Aaron Gray" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, forgot about quirks mode !
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Aaron

    Your markup appears to be XHTML so you need a doctype for that, or change
    the markup to HTML and add a corresponding doctype.

    Vince Morgan, Dec 27, 2007
  8. Aaron Gray

    Vince Morgan Guest

    "Aaron Gray" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having problems with a form taking too much vertical space.
    >
    > The test example is here :-
    >
    > http://www.aarongray.org/Test/HTML/Form/test.html

    If you put the form tags outside the div you don't have the problem in IE6,
    or Mozilla.
    Ie:
    <form method="post" action="test.html">

    <input type="text" name="query" size="40" value="">
    <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search">

    </form>
    Can't say that it's good form to do so, but it works.
    HTH
    Vince

    Vince Morgan, Dec 27, 2007
  9. Aaron Gray

    Aaron Gray Guest

    "Vince Morgan" <vinharAtHereoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > "Aaron Gray" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes, forgot about quirks mode !
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >>
    >> Aaron
    >>

    > Your markup appears to be XHTML so you need a doctype for that, or change
    > the markup to HTML and add a corresponding doctype.

    Yes, I am intending on using XHTML.

    Aaron

    Aaron Gray, Dec 27, 2007
  10. Aaron Gray

    > "Aaron Gray" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am having problems with a form taking too much vertical space.
    >>
    >> The test example is here :-
    >>
    >> http://www.aarongray.org/Test/HTML/Form/test.html
    >>

    > If you put the form tags outside the div you don't have the problem in
    > IE6,
    > or Mozilla.
    > Ie:
    > <form method="post" action="test.html">
    >
    > <input type="text" name="query" size="40" value="">
    > <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search">

    > </form>
    > Can't say that it's good form to do so, but it works.

    Ah, thats why the Google homepage renders correctly.

    Aaron

    Aaron Gray, Dec 27, 2007
  11. Aaron Gray wrote:
    > "Vince Morgan" <vinharAtHereoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

    >> Your markup appears to be XHTML so you need a doctype for that, or change
    >> the markup to HTML and add a corresponding doctype.

    > Yes, I am intending on using XHTML.

    Why? Do you have a reason?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 27, 2007
  12. Aaron Gray wrote:
    > "Vince Morgan" <vinharAtHereoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> "Aaron Gray" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am having problems with a form taking too much vertical space.
    >>>
    >>> The test example is here :-
    >>>
    >>> http://www.aarongray.org/Test/HTML/Form/test.html
    >>>

    >> If you put the form tags outside the div you don't have the problem in
    >> IE6,
    >> or Mozilla.
    >> Ie:
    >> <form method="post" action="test.html">
    >>
    >> <input type="text" name="query" size="40" value="">
    >> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search">

    >> </form>
    >> Can't say that it's good form to do so, but it works.

    > Ah, thats why the Google homepage renders correctly.

    Only because browsers have quirks mode and can parse tag soup. Also
    there is really very little content to screw up.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 27, 2007
  13. Aaron Gray

    dorayme Guest

    In article <7aee9$4773dca7$40cba7cc$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Aaron Gray wrote:
    > > "Vince Morgan" <vinharAtHereoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

    > >> Your markup appears to be XHTML so you need a doctype for that, or change
    > >> the markup to HTML and add a corresponding doctype.

    > > Yes, I am intending on using XHTML.

    > Why? Do you have a reason?

    A lot of people read sentences like: "HTML is now an Internet
    standard maintained by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). The
    most recent version is HTML 4.01, though it has been superseded
    by XHTML." (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:HTML) and
    see that a fine online website that teaches website standard
    markup uses it (htmldog.com) draw some obvious and reasonable but
    false conclusions. The problem is a runaway train, it is unlikely
    to be able to be stopped and put on a slower steadier controlled
    course.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 27, 2007
  14. Scripsit dorayme:

    > A lot of people read sentences like: "HTML is now an Internet
    > standard maintained by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).

    That's of course common wikinonsense. There is no Internet standard on
    HTML, and Internet standards are not defined by the W3C but by the IETF.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 27, 2007
  15. Aaron Gray

    Aaron Gray Guest

    > Aaron Gray wrote:
    >> "Vince Morgan" <vinharAtHereoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

    >>> Your markup appears to be XHTML so you need a doctype for that, or
    >>> change
    >>> the markup to HTML and add a corresponding doctype.

    >> Yes, I am intending on using XHTML.

    > Why? Do you have a reason?

    Yes, many.

    Aaron

    Aaron Gray, Dec 27, 2007
  16. On 2007-12-27, Aaron Gray wrote:

    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    >> Aaron Gray wrote:

    >>> Yes, I am intending on using XHTML.

    >> Why? Do you have a reason?

    > Yes, many.

    Are there any that trump the fact that the most commonly used
    browser doesn't support XHTML? If so, please explain.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Dec 28, 2007
  17. Aaron Gray

    Aaron Gray Guest

    "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > On 2007-12-27, Aaron Gray wrote:
    >>

    >> "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why? Do you have a reason?

    >> Yes, many.

    > Are there any that trump the fact that the most commonly used
    > browser doesn't support XHTML? If so, please explain.

    Wikipedia uses XHTML Transitional so I was planning on using that as I am
    working on a WYSIWYG Wiki which will be simular to that.

    Aaron

    Aaron Gray, Dec 29, 2007