Form - Tables, Lists or Divs?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by shapper, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. shapper

    shapper Guest

    Hello,

    I am designing a big form and I have been seen a lot of options for
    the layout.

    For grouping most versions use fieldset which makes sense if that's
    purpose of fieldset.

    For layout I have seen:

    - Tables
    - Lists
    - Divs

    Which approach do you think is advisable to use?

    I created one with an ordered list ... The problem with lists is that
    the CSS becomes really complex.
    But I have seen a lot of examples of this ... not all correct.

    In this case I am planning a two columns form.
    But I would like also an global feedback on this.

    Thanks,
    Miguel

    shapper, Apr 28, 2009

  2. shapper

    rf Guest

    shapper wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am designing a big form and I have been seen a lot of options for
    > the layout.
    >
    > For grouping most versions use fieldset which makes sense if that's
    > purpose of fieldset.
    >
    > For layout I have seen:
    >
    > - Tables
    > - Lists
    > - Divs
    >
    > Which approach do you think is advisable to use?
    >
    > I created one with an ordered list ... The problem with lists is that
    > the CSS becomes really complex.
    > But I have seen a lot of examples of this ... not all correct.
    >
    > In this case I am planning a two columns form.
    > But I would like also an global feedback on this.

    Didn't dorayme tell you elsewhere? Use a table, it's tabular data. Columns
    and rows.

    rf, Apr 28, 2009

  3. shapper

    John Hosking Guest

    rf wrote:
    > shapper wrote:

    >> I am designing a big form and I have been seen a lot of options for
    >> the layout.

    >> For layout I have seen:
    >>
    >> - Tables
    >> - Lists
    >> - Divs
    >>
    >> Which approach do you think is advisable to use?

    > Didn't dorayme tell you elsewhere? Use a table, it's tabular data. Columns
    > and rows.

    Yes, but our brother Miguel...
    .... doesn't seem to have mastered basic Usenet concepts of netiquette
    regarding multi-posting, quoting, trimming, attributing, etc., even
    after all this time.
    .... doesn't seem to lurk here and read posts from other people; I think
    he only visits to post his own questions.
    .... doesn't seem to remember what he's read.

    <>

    --
    John
    Doesn't seem to remember the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

    John Hosking, Apr 28, 2009
  4. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Apr 28, 12:07 pm, John Hosking <>
    wrote:
    > Yes, but our brother Miguel...
    > ... doesn't seem to have mastered basic Usenet concepts of netiquette
    > regarding multi-posting, quoting, trimming, attributing, etc., even
    > after all this time.

    I posted here because if the talk was going from CSS to HTML Semantics
    I thought I should start a topic here.

    I thought that it were two different communities ... for two different
    subjects.

    I didn't know I was breaking a rule on this.

    Thanks,
    Miguel

    shapper, Apr 28, 2009
  5. shapper

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 28 Apr, 11:30, shapper <> wrote:

    > I am designing a big form and I have been seen a lot of options for
    > the layout.

    <form> or display-only data doesn't make much difference. It's much
    more about the layout you're after.

    If you want "grid" (i.e. 2-dimensions that maintain a robust 2-d
    layout regardless of window size or scrolling), then <table>s are the
    way to go.

    What's often better though is to bundle up small units of the form
    into "boxes", layout the content within the boxes by some fairly rigid
    means (maybe <table>), but then fluidly flow the boxes into some
    broader container.

    You might also have three (or more or less) of these "containers" and
    set those up quite rigidly as left or right sub-columns. This can work
    well, especially when you're switching your "boxes" in dynamically
    through some sort of user-selectable toolbars mechanism.

    Overall though, you probably want to be looking at an application
    framework like JSF / RichFaces if things have got to this level of
    complexity.

    Andy Dingley, Apr 28, 2009
  6. shapper schrieb:
    > On Apr 28, 12:07 pm, John Hosking <>
    > wrote:
    >> Yes, but our brother Miguel...
    >> ... doesn't seem to have mastered basic Usenet concepts of netiquette
    >> regarding multi-posting, quoting, trimming, attributing, etc., even
    >> after all this time.

    > I posted here because if the talk was going from CSS to HTML Semantics
    > I thought I should start a topic here.

    Not wrong in general. But there is no need to re-post questions, wich
    have already been answered.

    > I thought that it were two different communities ... for two different
    > subjects.

    No communities at all - "usegroup" it's called :D

    Johannes

    Johannes Hafner, Apr 28, 2009
  7. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article <49f6e470$>,
    John Hosking <> wrote:

    > <>

    When I clicked this, it opened in my newsreader. I was expecting to go
    to GG thread in my browser? I was interested in how you made this link
    so that - pleasantly surprising - it opened in my newsreader. My
    MT-NewsWatcher is not usually so approachable. I don't think I have ever
    yet clicked a link that has opened a post in my newsreader.

    (This may be something I just missed like I thought blondes were dark
    hair and brunettes light till I was about 10 years old. Buggered if I
    know how this happened. Sheltered life? I bet everyone has some *big*
    misunderstanding in their past. This is my *only* one, so wipe the smile
    off your faces)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 28, 2009
  8. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    shapper <> wrote:

    > On Apr 28, 12:07 pm, John Hosking <>
    > wrote:
    > > Yes, but our brother Miguel...
    > > ... doesn't seem to have mastered basic Usenet concepts of netiquette
    > > regarding multi-posting, quoting, trimming, attributing, etc., even
    > > after all this time.

    > I posted here because if the talk was going from CSS to HTML Semantics
    > I thought I should start a topic here.
    >
    > I thought that it were two different communities ... for two different
    > subjects.
    >
    > I didn't know I was breaking a rule on this.

    No, it is a bit like in a film I saw once where the townsfolk were
    trying to convince a rich organization (Govt or businessman?) that their
    town qualified for a large grant of money and services. They had to have
    a certain number of people in the town and they did not.

    So when the delegation of inspection arrived at the town, the townsfolk
    organised to put on an appearance. They would show the people in a
    church. And while they took the delegation to another hall (by a long
    indirect route), the people in the church would rush quietly out the
    back of the church and go to the hall by a direct route and be there for
    the delegation to see.

    (David Segal, any recall of this film's name?)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 28, 2009
  9. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article <gt74ib$rm9$-september.org>,
    Johannes Hafner <> wrote:

    > > I thought that it were two different communities ... for two different
    > > subjects.

    > No communities at all - "usegroup" it's called :D

    In other words, when it comes to our funerals, we should not expect
    anyone from these groups. I do think special arrangements could be made
    though. I have discussed this with local religious leaders and they are
    skeptical about my idea of grave-side or oven internet connected screens
    with webcams...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 28, 2009
  10. dorayme schrieb:
    > In article <49f6e470$>,
    > John Hosking <> wrote:
    >
    >> <>

    > When I clicked this, it opened in my newsreader.

    What a suprise - it's not a URL, it's a message-id ;)

    > I was expecting to go
    > to GG thread in my browser?

    You would went there, if the link had been this one:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets/msg/d85ce93b2810a535>

    > I was interested in how you made this link

    Guess he looked up the Message-ID (I would say in the message headers),
    put it in angle bracktes and posted it.
    Your newsreader interpreted it correctly and converted it into a link.

    Johannes

    Johannes Hafner, Apr 29, 2009
  11. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article <gta6hg$uga$-september.org>,
    Johannes Hafner <> wrote:

    > dorayme schrieb:
    > > In article <49f6e470$>,
    > > John Hosking <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> <>

    > > When I clicked this, it opened in my newsreader.

    > Guess he looked up the Message-ID (I would say in the message headers),
    > put it in angle bracktes and posted it.
    > Your newsreader interpreted it correctly and converted it into a link.

    OK. I will look into message headers in future to identify posts.

    Generally, I have thought it rude to look into headers as it feels like
    prying into personal information... <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 30, 2009