Formatting problem

Dave Saville

I am using a little web mail utility that talks to my private mail
server.

Looking at the html template it uses to build the page to read a
message, I find in a table cell

<pre wrap> message </pre>

Now my html book does not say anything about this but the effect is to
obey line feeds but wrap lines that are very long. I suspect it is an
old trick. It works in Mozilla but ie6 shows long lines as long lines.
It is amazing how many email message turn out to be one long line :)

So the question is how can I change the template to work whatever the
browser? Remember I can only change the template - I can't run anything
to wrap the line first so to speak - and it might even be dodgy using a
style sheet as the template does not have any head/body etc - I have
not worked out where that comes from yet bit may well be internally
generated.

For now I have bodged it to mis use a textarea :)

TIA

Regards

Dave Saville

NB switch saville for nospam in address

Toby A Inkster

Dave said:
<pre wrap> message </pre>

Now my html book does not say anything about this but the effect is to
obey line feeds but wrap lines that are very long. I suspect it is an
old trick. It works in Mozilla but ie6 shows long lines as long lines.
It is amazing how many email message turn out to be one long line :)

CSS 2.1 allows you do do:

<pre style="whitespace: pre-wrap;">...</pre>

But this isn't supported anywhere yet. Opera 7.x (and possibly 6.x) has
experimental support in the form of:

<pre style="whitespace: -o-pre-wrap;">...</pre>

But I suspect you are after an IE solution.

Perhaps try using <textarea> with line wrapping on?

Sid Ismail

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:25:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Saville"

: <pre wrap> message </pre>

"pre wrap" is an oxymoron.

Sid

Dave Saville

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:25:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Saville"

: <pre wrap> message </pre>

"pre wrap" is an oxymoron.

That's as maybe, but Mozilla will Obey the line feeds and wrap lines
that otherwise would cause the browser to have a horizontal scroll bar
- which is what happens in IE.

Regards

Dave Saville

NB switch saville for nospam in address

Dave Saville

CSS 2.1 allows you do do:

<pre style="whitespace: pre-wrap;">...</pre>

But this isn't supported anywhere yet. Opera 7.x (and possibly 6.x) has
experimental support in the form of:

<pre style="whitespace: -o-pre-wrap;">...</pre>

But I suspect you are after an IE solution.

Perhaps try using <textarea> with line wrapping on?

That is what I have done. But I wanted a more "correct" solution.