Formatting question

pixelmeow

Hello all,

I'm using Dreamweaver to work up a document template that will be used
and displayed online as HTML. At this point it's just some tables
with a bit of text. I intend to use the file as a template which will
be filled in with ASP code and text boxes, but I need to get the
template right, first.

The thing I don't like is how Dreamweaver makes the tables. It may
just be a DW thing, I don't know. Please see:

http://pixelmeow.com/example.htm

I want the tables to join one next to the other, without the white
space between; I also don't want the big white spaces between the
individual cells of each table. I just want thin solid lines dividing
each of the cells from each other, and each of the tables from each
other, but I can't find out how to do it in DW. Do I have to do it in
Notepad? That's fine, not a problem, and if this is a FAQ, apologies,
I'll go read the FM if I can have a pointer or two... ;-)

--
teresa robinson
pixel software

^..^ "Never try to outstubborn a cat." Robert A. Heinlein ^..^
http://pixelmeow.com/ http://www.heinleinsociety.org/
http://pixelmeow.com/Book_Exchange/index.htm
http://www.storesonline.com/site/rowanmystic
aim: pixelmeow msn: (e-mail address removed)
email my first name at pixelmeow dot com

Karl Core

pixelmeow said:
Hello all,

I'm using Dreamweaver to work up a document template that will be used
and displayed online as HTML. At this point it's just some tables
with a bit of text. I intend to use the file as a template which will
be filled in with ASP code and text boxes, but I need to get the
template right, first.

The thing I don't like is how Dreamweaver makes the tables. It may
just be a DW thing, I don't know.

It is a poor mechanic who blames his tools.

pixelmeow

It is a poor mechanic who blames his tools.

Be gentle with a newbie... :)

Do you know how I can make the page look how I want it to look? As I
said, I don't mind working in Notepad. I just don't know the syntax
for this.

Thanks!
--
Teresa Robinson
Pixel Software
~teresa~
AFH Barwench

^..^ "Never try to outstubborn a cat." Robert A. Heinlein ^..^
http://pixelmeow.com/ http://www.heinleinsociety.org/
http://pixelmeow.com/Book_Exchange/index.htm
http://www.storesonline.com/site/rowanmystic
aim: pixelmeow msn: (e-mail address removed)
email my first name at pixelmeow dot com

Friendly

Yep, a wrench won't work if you don't know which way to turn.

Do you know how I can make the page look how I want it to look? As I
said, I don't mind working in Notepad. I just don't know the syntax
for this.

You'll probably also want to add cellpadding="#" or it will really be all
crammed together.

bordercolor="color" is a proprietary markup and not valid html.
Sometimes the wrench is broke too. :)

FS

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed pixelmeow
Hello all,
Hello

I'm using Dreamweaver to work up a document template that will be used
and displayed online as HTML. At this point it's just some tables
with a bit of text. I intend to use the file as a template which will
be filled in with ASP code and text boxes, but I need to get the
template right, first.

Ok, first things first. If the text in the tables is not data, then ditch
the tables. There is nothing worse than having to debug nested tables,
especially when you see something like:

The thing I don't like is how Dreamweaver makes the tables. It may
just be a DW thing, I don't know. Please see:

http://pixelmeow.com/example.htm

If you don't like the way that Dreamweaver makes the tables, then get rid
of Dreamweaver, get rid of presentational markup, use semantic markup, and
CSS. KISS is the name of the game. Google for CSS columns.
I want the tables to join one next to the other, without the white
space between; I also don't want the big white spaces between the
individual cells of each table. I just want thin solid lines dividing
each of the cells from each other, and each of the tables from each
other, but I can't find out how to do it in DW.

Stop wanting tables for that purpose.
Do I have to do it in
Notepad? That's fine, not a problem

Notepad is fine, but you really want something with syntax highlighting. I
like HTML-Kit <http://www.chami.com/html-kit/>, especially since it does a
nice job of highlighting server side code as well. It's got some nice
plugins for ASP and SQL.
and if this is a FAQ, apologies,

http://www.html-faq.com/

HTH

Karl Core

Friendly said:

You'll probably also want to add cellpadding="#" or it will really be all
crammed together.

Or CSS:
td{ padding: XXXpx;}
bordercolor="color" is a proprietary markup and not valid html.
Sometimes the wrench is broke too. :)

Or CSS:

td{border: 1px solid black;}

pixelmeow

[top-posted]

Thanks for a very informative post, I will try what you and the others
have suggested. I had a feeling it was a combination of my ignorance
and my tools, now I know. :)