Forms and Dialogs

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Simon Wigzell, May 30, 2004.

  1. This is what I am trying to accomplish:

    http://www.mississippiprinting.com/...ES&PRODUCT=Full Color Brochure&PageSize=8 x 9

    I want the small calculator window to be always in front and to be able to
    interact either with it or the main page. As the calculator is a normal
    window it disapears behind the main window when focus shifts to the main
    window. I can cure this problem by opening the calculator as a modeless
    dialog BUT! Then the form information from the main page does not get sent
    to it - it opens an empty dialog AND a normal page.

    The problem is stripped down to it's barest essence here

    http://www.mississippiprinting.com/MPCNew/windowtest.asp

    Clicking Normal brings up a normal window that has recieved the form
    information but disapears behind the main page when you click in the main
    page.

    Clicking Dialog brings up an empty dialog that does not know the form
    information but does stay on top when you click in the main page and a
    normal page that does know the form information .

    How can I have the popup window behave like the modeless dialog but still
    receive form information?

    Thanks!
    Simon Wigzell, May 30, 2004

  2. Simon Wigzell

    Lee Guest

    Simon Wigzell said:

    >This is what I am trying to accomplish:
    >
    >http://www.mississippiprinting.com/...ES&PRODUCT=Full Color Brochure&PageSize=8 x 9
    >
    >I want the small calculator window to be always in front and to be able to
    >interact either with it or the main page.

    That's a function of the user's window manager environment
    which is beyond your control.

    Depending on the user's environment, the window in front
    is usually the only one that they can interact with.

    You can either make it a normal window and give it focus
    when you want to bring it to the front, or you can make
    it a dynamic part of the main window whose visibility
    is toggled to make it pop up or down.
    Lee, May 30, 2004

  3. snip

    Thanks, but if you had read the entire post and tried my examples you will
    see that what I require is indeed possible by operning the window as a
    modeless dialog. My problem is that it cannot be used as the target of a
    form for some reason.
    Simon Wigzell, May 30, 2004
  4. Simon Wigzell

    Grant Wagner Guest

    Simon Wigzell wrote:

    > snip
    >
    > Thanks, but if you had read the entire post and tried my examples you will
    > see that what I require is indeed possible by operning the window as a
    > modeless dialog. My problem is that it cannot be used as the target of a
    > form for some reason.

    It can not be used as the target of a form because it is a modeless dialog.

    <url:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodelessdialog.asp
    />

    As you can see, it does not have a "name" attribute, and as such can not be
    the TARGET of a form.

    As for what you want being possible. When I visit your stripped down version
    at <url: http://www.mississippiprinting.com/MPCNew/windowtest.asp /> I receive
    the following error message in Firefox 0.8:

    Error: window.showModelessDialog is not a function
    Source File: http://www.mississippiprinting.com/MPCNew/windowtest.asp
    Line: 25

    so it's obviously not possible. When I visit the main page you posted at <url:
    http://www.mississippiprinting.com/...ES&PRODUCT=Full Color Brochure&PageSize=8 x 9
    /> in Firefox 0.8 and scroll left or right, I receive four instances of:

    Error: document.all has no properties
    Source File:
    http://www.mississippiprinting.com/...ES&PRODUCT=Full Color Brochure&PageSize=8 x 9

    Line: 144

    so whatever you're trying to do there isn't working either. Not to mention
    your site seems designed for a browser width I do not use, forcing me to
    scroll from side to side to see the content. I especially like:

    <select onchange="DoCosting();" name="FreightOption" size="1" style="width:
    212; height: 212"> which produces a square <select> filled with ... nothing.
    And DATE JOB TO PRINTER and DESIRED DELIVERY DATE don't do anything in Firefox
    0.8 except cause the following errors:

    Error: show_calendar is not defined
    Source File: javascript:void(window.__tabextensions__LastEvent = (new
    Date()).getTime());show_calendar('ProductForm.ProjectReleaseDate');
    Line: 1

    Error: show_calendar3 is not defined
    Source File: javascript:void(window.__tabextensions__LastEvent = (new
    Date()).getTime());show_calendar3('ProductForm.DesiredDeliveryDate');
    Line: 1

    I could go on, but I can't be bothered.

    In short: don't expect all your customers to be using the newest version of
    Internet Explorer, don't expect all your customers to be using a browser
    viewport width that makes your site look "pretty", don't expect those
    customers who are using the newest version of Internet Explorer and have their
    viewport width set appropriate to have Javascript enabled.

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *

    Grant Wagner, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Simon Wigzell

    Lee Guest

    Simon Wigzell said:

    >snip
    >
    >Thanks, but if you had read the entire post and tried my examples you will
    >see that what I require is indeed possible by operning the window as a
    >modeless dialog. My problem is that it cannot be used as the target of a
    >form for some reason.

    I read the entire post and tried your examples.
    They don't do what you suggest that they do.
    What you require is indeed not possible.
    Lee, Jun 2, 2004