Forms Authentication displays basic authentication dialogue window

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brett Porter, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Brett Porter

    Brett Porter Guest

    Hi,

    A very large portion of my site uses forms authentication which seems
    to work reasonably well. However many of my authenticated pages
    display a basic authentication dialogue box prior to display, even
    though I am authenticated. Clicking cancel to the dialogue box
    displays the page fine with no problem however after a while this
    becomes very annoying!

    The pages that display the basic authentication dialogue box all pull
    images, and access directories from folders that are outside of the
    protected directory which it must do.

    I have tried giving full control on the server to the Network Service
    user which didn't work and, as a test, put full control on for all
    users on the server which still didn't work.

    It works fine on my local server.

    If anybody could enlighten me I would be very grateful.

    Many thanks,

    Brett

    Brett Porter, Feb 3, 2004

  2. If I understand correctly, your these folders are outside the application directory. If that is so...Can you check the permissions of ASPNET account on those folders which are causing the username prompt......

    If that doesn't help...please rephrase your question to make me understand the question better...

    Regards
    Avneesh

    =?Utf-8?B?QXZuZWVzaA==?=, Feb 3, 2004

  3. > The pages that display the basic authentication dialogue box all pull
    > images, and access directories from folders that are outside of the
    > protected directory which it must do.

    If the images are static it seems like good idea to put copies under your
    web application folder so you don't have to fiddle with access rights,
    possibly complomise security and complicate maintenance.

    Martin.

    Martin Maat [EBL], Feb 3, 2004
  4. Brett Porter

    Brett Guest

    Hi Avneesh,

    Thanks for your quick response. The folders are outside of the
    authenticated folder but are still within the virtual directory on the
    web server.

    For some reason the account for anonymous users is Network Service. This
    was set up by the hosting company. However I have set all of the users
    to 'full control' (read / write / execute / modify etc) but this doesn't
    solve the problem.

    The server is Windows 2003 Server - I hope this helps.

    Thanks once again,

    Brett

    Brett, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Brett Porter

    Brett Porter Guest

    Hi Martin, thanks for this.

    Unfortunately they aren't static images they are documents, video,
    audio, images etc for a site administrator to incorporate into their
    pages they create through the content management system. These files
    will be uploaded by the administrator on-site, the pages will be
    created by them in the CMS then published to the site so unfortunately
    the files must reside outside of the authenticated section (unless
    each file they uploade is duplicated one for the administration
    section and one for the front end of the site!)

    Any other suggestions?

    Brett Porter, Feb 3, 2004
  6. Brett Porter

    Brett Porter Guest

    Sorted it.

    I switched off both windows and basic authentication on the server in
    IIS for the virtual directory. Now I can access the authenticated
    areas of my site without the annoying basic authentication dialogue
    window appearing every five minutes.

    Brett Porter, Feb 3, 2004