    better but its pretty much doing the same thing. Is it for if you are
    logging in to a site? Or can it be used to log into one application?
    Thanks

    BillGatesFan, Dec 29, 2004

  2. "BillGatesFan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Maybe I'm doing this the wrong way. I have an application that you log
    > into and it validates the username and password with the database using
    > a stored proc and if the username and password is valid then it
    > redirects them. But I'm not using any Forms Authentication. It looks
    > better but its pretty much doing the same thing. Is it for if you are
    > logging in to a site? Or can it be used to log into one application?

    Why reinvent the wheel? Especially since Microsoft maintains this particular
    wheel, so that you don't have to.

    John Saunders

    John Saunders, Dec 30, 2004

  3. BillGatesFan

    Steve Lutz Guest

    I would say that it is your choice. Personally, if ASP.NET did the work for
    me, that less of my code to write/understand/debug/train others to modify,
    etc. If you think that the forms authentication would work well for you, I
    would use it. Technically, there's nothing "wrong" with doing it yourself. I
    COULD write my own customer DataGrid control, but the built in one works for
    me.

    Although authentication is one of the tricker things I've had to manage
    working on the websites that I do work on. It can get messy and tricky. Just
    be sure you know what you're getting into if you decide to home-brew it.

    Steve

    Steve Lutz, Dec 30, 2004