Forms-Based Authentication

BillGatesFan

Maybe I'm doing this the wrong way. I have an application that you log
into and it validates the username and password with the database using
a stored proc and if the username and password is valid then it
redirects them. But I'm not using any Forms Authentication. It looks
better but its pretty much doing the same thing. Is it for if you are
logging in to a site? Or can it be used to log into one application?
Thanks

John Saunders

BillGatesFan said:
Maybe I'm doing this the wrong way. I have an application that you log
into and it validates the username and password with the database using
a stored proc and if the username and password is valid then it
redirects them. But I'm not using any Forms Authentication. It looks
better but its pretty much doing the same thing. Is it for if you are
logging in to a site? Or can it be used to log into one application?

Why reinvent the wheel? Especially since Microsoft maintains this particular
wheel, so that you don't have to.

John Saunders

Steve Lutz

I would say that it is your choice. Personally, if ASP.NET did the work for
me, that less of my code to write/understand/debug/train others to modify,
etc. If you think that the forms authentication would work well for you, I
would use it. Technically, there's nothing "wrong" with doing it yourself. I
COULD write my own customer DataGrid control, but the built in one works for
me.

Although authentication is one of the tricker things I've had to manage
working on the websites that I do work on. It can get messy and tricky. Just
be sure you know what you're getting into if you decide to home-brew it.

Steve