Form's output dumping to a file.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nathan, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    I know this has to be simple, but i just dont know enough about forms to
    know how to do it.

    I wasn to seup a form that will simply take the values entered in the
    fields and place them into a file stored on the server that the web page
    is located in.

    for example (on a unix server)
    web page file:
    ~/form.html
    text file:
    ~/text

    form.html has 3 text boxes, and a submit button.

    text has a pre-formated column sort of setup
    col1 col2 col3

    I wan the values in form.html to be placed in the text file once the
    submit button is pressed

    so say you enter 1 in box 1 in the form, and 2 in box 2 and then 3 in
    box 3, after clicking on the submit button you end up with the text file
    looking like this.
    col1 col2 col3
    1 2 3

    Thanks for any help!
    Nathan, Jul 17, 2003

  2. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:19:55 +0000, Nathan wrote:

    > so say you enter 1 in box 1 in the form, and 2 in box 2 and then 3 in
    > box 3, after clicking on the submit button you end up with the text file
    > looking like this.
    > col1 col2 col3
    > 1 2 3

    And if person number two submits the form, do you want their values
    appended at the end of the file, or to overwrite the first person's
    values?

    Also, what server-side scripting languages do you have access to?
    CGI/Perl? CGI/bash? PHP?

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    It should append to the end of the file.
    I have root on the server, so i technically have access to whatever i
    want. Its my own server.
    I;d like to do this using Perl if possible. Thats one of the languages
    that i'd like to learn, and know practically nothing about. Seems like
    a good start to me.

    Nathan, Jul 18, 2003