Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hi.
I have a simple php
PHP:
<?php // testfile.php
  $fh = fopen("testfile.txt", 'w') or die("Failed to create file");

  $text = <<<_END
Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
_END;

  fwrite($fh, $text) or die("Could not write to file");
  fclose($fh);
  echo "File 'testfile.txt' written successfully";
?>

When I open in browser I get the message "Failed to create file". How can I fix this? Thanks.

Joined
Nov 13, 2020
Messages
302
Reaction score
38
What if you just execute the first line?
<?php // testfile.php
$fh = fopen("testfile.txt", 'w') or die("Failed to create file");
?>

Joined
Sep 4, 2022
Messages
128
Reaction score
16
Hello !

PHP:
<?php

$fh = fopen("testfile.txt", 'w+') or die("Failed to create file");

// as 'w' is not enough, use 'w+' . it includes the creation of the file if needed.

?>

when you need informations about one function part of php,
reach the 'official website' at : www.php.net

Joined
Aug 21, 2023
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hello !

PHP:
<?php

$fh = fopen("testfile.txt", 'w+') or die("Failed to create file");

// as 'w' is not enough, use 'w+' . it includes the creation of the file if needed.

?>

when you need informations about one function part of php,
reach the 'official website' at : www.php.net
I still get the message "Failed to create file" . I even tried adding chmod("testfile.txt", 0600); but get the same message.

Joined
Dec 10, 2022
Messages
73
Reaction score
22
You could try this. Will create the file in the same directory as executing script.
PHP:
<?php
$fh = fopen(dirname(__FILE__) . "/test.txt","w+") or die('Error');
if($fh) {
    echo 'File Created';
}
else {
    echo 'File not Created';
}

?>

Joined
Aug 21, 2023
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
You could try this. Will create the file in the same directory as executing script.
PHP:
<?php
$fh = fopen(dirname(__FILE__) . "/test.txt","w+") or die('Error');
if($fh) {
    echo 'File Created';
}
else {
    echo 'File not Created';
}

?>
Doesn't work; get some error message.

Joined
Aug 21, 2023
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I am running it on apache server(XAMPP) localhost. I tried the code (original) online on a site that I use for practice and it works fine. Also when I enter php -v in Terminal it produces nothing.

Joined
Sep 3, 2023
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
I don't know XAMPP, and have done that kinda stuff in a long time, but for setting permissions try:

Note also Mac's come with apache & php
So if run a command from the terminal you'll need to append the /Applications/XAMPP.app/... path on to it, otherwise you'll probably get the one in usr/bin/

Joined
Aug 21, 2023
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I don't know XAMPP, and have done that kinda stuff in a long time, but for setting permissions try:

Note also Mac's come with apache & php
So if run a command from the terminal you'll need to append the /Applications/XAMPP.app/... path on to it, otherwise you'll probably get the one in usr/bin/
I switched to AMPPS and it works fine. Something went wrong with the XAMPP installation.