Frame not updating properly

Yogi_Bear_79

I have a page that consists of the frames. One for the banner, one for the
left menu, the other the main page. I have a javascript that parses the URL
and uses the comments after the hash to determine which xml page to load
images from.

The code works, when you first go to the page. When I click to a different
xml linked document it doesn't change. If I click to a non xml/js scripted
link to refresh the frame, then go to one of my other xml/js links it
correctly displays the images.

My <a> tag to call the pages looks like this:

Yogi_Bear_79

I have a page that consists of the frames. One for the banner, one for the
left menu, the other the main page. I have a javascript that parses the
URL and uses the comments after the hash to determine which xml page to
load images from.

The code works, when you first go to the page. When I click to a different
xml linked document it doesn't change. If I click to a non xml/js scripted
link to refresh the frame, then go to one of my other xml/js links it
correctly displays the images.

My <a> tag to call the pages looks like this:

Is there anything I can do to force the frame to reload and thus load the
requested xml document?

Chaddy2222

Yogi_Bear_79 said:
I have a page that consists of the frames. One for the banner, one for the
left menu, the other the main page. I have a javascript that parses the URL
and uses the comments after the hash to determine which xml page to load
images from.

The code works, when you first go to the page. When I click to a different
xml linked document it doesn't change. If I click to a non xml/js scripted
link to refresh the frame, then go to one of my other xml/js links it
correctly displays the images.

My <a> tag to call the pages looks like this:
Ahh. That's all well and good. But what if I was useing a browser that
did not support frames and what if I have JS disabled.
That right. Your little script probly would not work anyway.
I don't think frames are any good for displaying anything really. They
work well though if you *DON'T* want your site to be indexed by the
search engions!

Yogi_Bear_79

Chaddy2222 said:
Ahh. That's all well and good. But what if I was useing a browser that
did not support frames and what if I have JS disabled.
That right. Your little script probly would not work anyway.
I don't think frames are any good for displaying anything really. They
work well though if you *DON'T* want your site to be indexed by the
search engions!

You know what they say about opinions.

My site is intended for a very limited audience, all of whom are using IE.
They do not have JS disabled. I understand that this may not be the best
solution t the problem, but it is a stepping stone towards a better site.
At any rate thank you for your valuable insight. Your critisim would be
better received if, in additon, you offered a soluiton to my question or an
alternate path to take. Thanks!

Joel Shepherd

It might help to start by explaining what problem you are solving with
this approach. Why not link directly to the page you want to load? That
works for a _vast_ majority of the sites out there. What prevents you
from doing the same?

If you can explain that problem, _then_ someone might be able to suggest
an alternative solution, even if it means discarding the broken solution
you have now.
You know what they say about opinions.

You know what they say about things we don't like to hear.

Yogi_Bear_79

Joel Shepherd said:
It might help to start by explaining what problem you are solving with
this approach. Why not link directly to the page you want to load? That
works for a _vast_ majority of the sites out there. What prevents you
from doing the same?

If you can explain that problem, _then_ someone might be able to suggest
an alternative solution, even if it means discarding the broken solution
you have now.

You know what they say about things we don't like to hear.

I apologize. I thought I described my problem. For not knowing a better way
I built a three framed page. The top is nothing but a banner, the left is
links to various photo albums. Originally I had an indendent html page per
photo album. But this is very repetative. I changed it so I use one HTML
page and one javascript. The javascript parses the <a> tag to decide which
..xml file to call. It all works fine, except the right frame doesn't
refresh when a new xml is called. It does refresh if I call a static page in
to the frame, then call a new .xml.

I have no problem changeing this approach. I could go with a page without
frames, but I would think I would have to have a seperate page for each
phtoto album, that approach doesn't seem the best soultion either. This
website is intended for a very small private audience. I don't care a lot at
this point if search engines use it. Eventually I will move the javascript
to SSI but I need to learn a bit more to get that working.