Framework recommendations for web service?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Phillip B Oldham, Jul 16, 2008.

  1. We're looking at the next phase of development for our webapp, and the
    main focus will be to move the core from the app to a web service so
    other systems can use the data we've gathered (we're thinking along
    the lines of the XML API of Highrise from 37Signals).

    Its possible that we'll extend the service to allow access via vanilla
    XML, JSON, and YAML at some point, however we've decided to use
    Facebook's Thrift for connectivity initially to support as many techs
    as possible and also because our web interface for the app is written
    in PHP.

    As we're extracting the core we'll be translating it to Python to make
    use of the wealth of well-structured libraries and hopefully make the
    project shorter. However, we've hit a snag in choosing a framework
    around which to rebuild the service.

    It seems the more popular frameworks (django, turbogears) are all
    focused on providing web content. Since our core will be using thrift
    to communicate, we don't need templating, feeds, admin pages (django),
    or ajax (turbogears).

    What we *do* need is a lightweight, simple framework that will allow
    us to create a RESTful interface and throw code together fast. We'll
    probably go with SQLObject (unless we can extract the ORM from django
    - lazy evaluation would be very useful), and we're just looking for
    something fast and light to sit between that and the thrift interfaces
    we'll create.

    So, can anyone suggest a lightweight python framework which just does
    the essentials?

    Phillip B Oldham, Jul 16, 2008

  2. Phillip B Oldham wrote:
    > So, can anyone suggest a lightweight python framework which just does
    > the essentials?

    web.py is pretty slim (not to be confused with web2py).

    Pylons isn't very large, depending on what you call "essential."

    Joshua Kugler, Jul 16, 2008