Free as in beer Komodo editor

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 25, 2007.

  1. The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
    versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
    was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
    featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
    the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
    a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:

    Hi Chris-

    > This is the sales page that highlights the major differences:
    > http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/edit_vs_ide.plex
    >
    > Here's a comparison matrix:
    >
    > Feature/capability IDE Edit
    > ----------------------------------
    > Editor * *
    > Code intelligence * *
    > Debugger *
    > Interactive Shells *
    > Project manager * *
    > Toolbox * *
    > HTTP Inspector *
    > DOM Viewer *
    > Rx Toolkit *
    > Code Browser *
    > SCC *
    > PDK integration *

    So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category. I still think I'm
    going to go with KDevelop over Komodo because of its ability to handle
    compiled languages and it's freedom, but I'm going to have a hard look
    at the free Komodo editor at work, where I have quite a bit of Perl code
    that I might want to port to Ruby.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 25, 2007

  2. On Jan 25, 8:10 am, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <> wrote:
    > The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
    > versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
    > was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
    > featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
    > the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
    > a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:
    >
    > Hi Chris-
    > >
    > > This is the sales page that highlights the major differences:
    > >http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/edit_vs_ide.plex
    > >
    > > Here's a comparison matrix:
    > >
    > > Feature/capability IDE Edit
    > > ----------------------------------
    > > Editor * *
    > > Code intelligence * *
    > > Debugger *
    > > Interactive Shells *
    > > Project manager * *
    > > Toolbox * *
    > > HTTP Inspector *
    > > DOM Viewer *
    > > Rx Toolkit *
    > > Code Browser *
    > > SCC *
    > > PDK integration *

    > So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category. I still think I'm
    > going to go with KDevelop over Komodo because of its ability to handle
    > compiled languages and it's freedom, but I'm going to have a hard look
    > at the free Komodo editor at work, where I have quite a bit of Perl code
    > that I might want to port to Ruby.

    I like the Komodo editor, especially now that it has vi bindings. The
    debugger got me through several painful sessions of porting
    Spreadsheet::WriteExcel to Ruby. My main gripe is the goofball project
    management and "virtual" directories.

    I'd rather just have an Eclipse style setup, i.e. a base directory
    where all projects live, and your project's folders and files live on
    the filesystem under that base directory.

    Dan

    Daniel Berger, Jan 25, 2007

  3. Daniel Berger wrote:

    > I like the Komodo editor, especially now that it has vi bindings. The
    > debugger got me through several painful sessions of porting
    > Spreadsheet::WriteExcel to Ruby. My main gripe is the goofball project
    > management and "virtual" directories.
    >
    > I'd rather just have an Eclipse style setup, i.e. a base directory
    > where all projects live, and your project's folders and files live on
    > the filesystem under that base directory.
    >
    > Dan

    I have never used Eclipse. I've installed it a couple of times, but
    never sat down to attempt to actually work with it. It just seems way
    too complex for me. I do a lot of different one-person projects, so most
    of the time "vim" is my IDE -- everything else the Linux desktop does
    just fine. If I were developing for Windows on a professional basis, I'd
    use Visual Studio for the compiled languages and the full Perl
    Development Kit for the scripting languages -- that includes Komodo now.

    But as I've noted before, most likely I'll save the money and go with
    KDevelop/Quanta/Korundum/Kommander on Linux. It does both compiled and
    scripting languages, has Rails capabilities, is free as in freedom and
    as in beer, and has excellent integration with Qt. The Komodo license is
    just about the same price as a round-trip plane ticket to Pat Eyler's
    MountainWest Ruby Conference. :)

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 25, 2007