Free as in beer Komodo editor

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:

Hi Chris-
This is the sales page that highlights the major differences:
http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/edit_vs_ide.plex

Here's a comparison matrix:

Feature/capability IDE Edit
----------------------------------
Editor * *
Code intelligence * *
Debugger *
Interactive Shells *
Project manager * *
Toolbox * *
HTTP Inspector *
DOM Viewer *
Rx Toolkit *
Code Browser *
SCC *
PDK integration *

So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category. I still think I'm
going to go with KDevelop over Komodo because of its ability to handle
compiled languages and it's freedom, but I'm going to have a hard look
at the free Komodo editor at work, where I have quite a bit of Perl code
that I might want to port to Ruby.

Daniel Berger

The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:

Hi Chris-

So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category. I still think I'm
going to go with KDevelop over Komodo because of its ability to handle
compiled languages and it's freedom, but I'm going to have a hard look
at the free Komodo editor at work, where I have quite a bit of Perl code
that I might want to port to Ruby.

I like the Komodo editor, especially now that it has vi bindings. The
debugger got me through several painful sessions of porting
Spreadsheet::WriteExcel to Ruby. My main gripe is the goofball project
management and "virtual" directories.

I'd rather just have an Eclipse style setup, i.e. a base directory
where all projects live, and your project's folders and files live on
the filesystem under that base directory.

Dan

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Daniel said:
I like the Komodo editor, especially now that it has vi bindings. The
debugger got me through several painful sessions of porting
Spreadsheet::WriteExcel to Ruby. My main gripe is the goofball project
management and "virtual" directories.

I'd rather just have an Eclipse style setup, i.e. a base directory
where all projects live, and your project's folders and files live on
the filesystem under that base directory.

Dan
I have never used Eclipse. I've installed it a couple of times, but
never sat down to attempt to actually work with it. It just seems way
too complex for me. I do a lot of different one-person projects, so most
of the time "vim" is my IDE -- everything else the Linux desktop does
just fine. If I were developing for Windows on a professional basis, I'd
use Visual Studio for the compiled languages and the full Perl
Development Kit for the scripting languages -- that includes Komodo now.

But as I've noted before, most likely I'll save the money and go with
KDevelop/Quanta/Korundum/Kommander on Linux. It does both compiled and
scripting languages, has Rails capabilities, is free as in freedom and
as in beer, and has excellent integration with Qt. The Komodo license is
just about the same price as a round-trip plane ticket to Pat Eyler's
MountainWest Ruby Conference. :)