Free as in beer Komodo editor

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 25, 2007.

  1. The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
    versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
    was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
    featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
    the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
    a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:

    Hi Chris-

    > This is the sales page that highlights the major differences:
    > http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/edit_vs_ide.plex
    >
    > Here's a comparison matrix:
    >
    > Feature/capability IDE Edit
    > ----------------------------------
    > Editor * *
    > Code intelligence * *
    > Debugger *
    > Interactive Shells *
    > Project manager * *
    > Toolbox * *
    > HTTP Inspector *
    > DOM Viewer *
    > Rx Toolkit *
    > Code Browser *
    > SCC *
    > PDK integration *

    So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category. I still think I'm
    going to go with KDevelop over Komodo because of its ability to handle
    compiled languages and it's freedom, but I'm going to have a hard look
    at the free Komodo editor at work, where I have quite a bit of Perl code
    that I might want to port to Ruby.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
    rabbits fire.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 25, 2007

  2. Robert Dober wrote:
    > On 1/25/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <> wrote:
    >>
    >> The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
    >> versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
    >> was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
    >> featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
    >> the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
    >> a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:
    >> <snip> *
    >>
    >> So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category.

    > If I correctly interpret the license it not really is :(
    > http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_ide/beta_agreement.plex
    >
    > I find that license unacceptable (unless I misunderstand)
    > * After 6 month, or upon written notification or upon a commercial
    > release I
    > have to discontinue usage.
    > * I *have to* provide test feedback.
    >
    > No Sir, not my choice.
    >
    > I would happily have accepted a closed license (as in free beer;) as
    > long as
    > I do not have to stop drinking beer upon written notice and send a bug
    > report to the brewing company whenever my beer was not good!

    Komodo Editor is still in beta. That's a standard sort of beta test
    license -- "if you like it, tell your friends, if you *don't* like it,
    tell *us*!" :)

    My day job forbids us to do beta tests on company equipment, so I can't
    actually use it at work until it's formally released. At that point, I
    need to clear the real license with the powers that be. I sort of beta
    tested the Komodo 4 at home on Linux -- I verified that it would install
    on Gentoo, which was about all I had time to do before it went into
    general release.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 25, 2007