Free email component for .NET

Kelvin

Hi All,

I am developing a web application which needs to send email and save the
email to file system in .eml format, such that it can be opened by email
client program.

I would like the component which supports:
- send email in HTML format
- send email with attachments
- can save email to .eml file
- Free (Boss requested...)

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Kelvin

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Kelvin said:
Hi All,

I am developing a web application which needs to send email and save the
email to file system in .eml format, such that it can be opened by email
client program.

I would like the component which supports:
- send email in HTML format
- send email with attachments
- can save email to .eml file
- Free (Boss requested...)

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Kelvin

I don't know about the third criteria, but the other are covered by the
built in mail support in the framework.

For framework 1.x use the classes in System.Web.Mail namespace.
For framework 2.x use the classes in System.Net.Mail namespace.

Mark Rae

I would like the component which supports:
- send email in HTML format
- send email with attachments
Already built into the .NET Framework.
http://www.systemnetmail.com
- can save email to .eml file
I assume that you're using either Outlook Express or QuickMailPro:
http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=eml&Search=Search

You'll need to understand the file format and save the file in the way that
the target application expects. If it's a text file, then it should be
fairly simple, but if it's a binary file format, then it may be quite
tricky...

David

In outlook express, it uses a text format. You can drag and drop an email
from outlook onto your desktop, then open it in notepad.

In fact, when you send using the SMTP, have a look in the mailroot folder
for the email. If you copy one of these, then change the extension to eml,
you should find it will open in outlook express anyway.

Best regards,
Dave Colliver.
http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
~~

Mark Rae

In outlook express, it uses a text format. You can drag and drop an email
from outlook onto your desktop, then open it in notepad.

In fact, when you send using the SMTP, have a look in the mailroot folder
for the email. If you copy one of these, then change the extension to eml,
you should find it will open in outlook express anyway.

In which case, the OP should have no problems...

Michael D. Ober

If you configure the SMTP Service on the local machine and tell it to not
purge messages that it has sent you will get the EML files.

Mike Ober.

Kelvin

Thanks Göran Andersson. Unluckily, the third criteria is really
important in my project. :(

Kelvin

Thanks Mark and David, this is a possible way. The flaw of this is that
it is a bit an indirect way to get the eml file, it relies too much on
the SMTP server which may not be easy in production environment.

It would be great if the eml file can be obtained from native VB.NET
code. I've found some components which entertain all my needs but they
are not freeware. Gosh!

1. Devmail - http://www.devmail.net
2. Chilkat - http://www.chilkatsoft.com/email-dotnet.asp

Kelvin

Thanks Michael.
If you configure the SMTP Service on the local machine and tell it to not
purge messages that it has sent you will get the EML files.

Mike Ober.

Mark Rae

Thanks Mark and David, this is a possible way. The flaw of this is that
it is a bit an indirect way to get the eml file, it relies too much on
the SMTP server which may not be easy in production environment.

It would be great if the eml file can be obtained from native VB.NET
code. I've found some components which entertain all my needs but they
are not freeware. Gosh!

1. Devmail - http://www.devmail.net
2. Chilkat - http://www.chilkatsoft.com/email-dotnet.asp

Well there you go - you can either have a completely free solution which
will mean you'll have to do a little bit of work, or you can purchase a
solution for not very much money which will mean you won't have to do any
work at all...

Hmm....

Ralf Ziller

You could set the DeliveryMethod of the SMTPClient object to
SpecifiedPickupDirectory and the PickupDirectoryLocation to the path where
you want your file. This should save a file when you use SMTPClient.Send().
It will create a randomly named file but you can rename/move it afterwards.