Free line breaking

Sally Thompson

That is exactly the sound I made! I am not kidding.
[/QUOTE]

But it probably sounded different in a Dutch accent (although maybe a Martian
accent is somewhat similar).

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
dorayme wrote:
If that's a sign of lack of intelligence, I'm a lot less intelligent
than I thought I was ;-)
These tests often assume that there's only one pattern possible, so
they simply don't check for alternative possibilities.

Take this very (too) simple one: 1 2 3 5 .. ..
They think it's obvious that the next one is 8, but I figure it could
be 6.
Their pattern: 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55
My pattern: 1 2 3 5 6 7 9 10 11 13

Who's to say I'm wrong? ;-)

How about

1 2 3 5 7 11 12 13 15 17 21 22 23...?

(no closed loops)

Els

Jonathan said:
How about

1 2 3 5 7 11 12 13 15 17 21 22 23...?

(no closed loops)

See? these test-makers just don't have enough intelligence to test it
in others ;-)

dorayme

Els said:
Take this very (too) simple one: 1 2 3 5 .. ..
They think it's obvious that the next one is 8, but I figure it could
be 6.
Their pattern: 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55
My pattern: 1 2 3 5 6 7 9 10 11 13

Who's to say I'm wrong? ;-)

No one at all!

Fact is, for any finite set of numbers, there are an infinite
number of formulae that generate just those those numbers in
exact sequence but 'go on' differently. I guess there is a
question of comparing the formulae on the grounds of simplicity.
One simple idea of simplicity, and not a bad one, is the brevity
of the formula. However in simple cases of the intelligence
tests, it is generally easy to see a number of ways of proceeding
that are equally summed up in a rule.

Klaus Cammin

Hi all,

ok, this is it!

Many thanks again for your help!

I implemented the new view of my pages. You may check it out if you like to
and tell me, if a browser starts behaving strangely. I tested it with
Firefox and IE.

http://home.pages.at/klaca/INDEX_EN.HTM
http://home.pages.at/klaca/flaggen.css /* here are the CSS declarations */

Basically I followed Els' example, which is preferable because image and
caption have their own format declarations and additional formatting can be
applied.

I extended the method not only for the basic overviews, but also for the
gallery of province flags (if present) in the country pages. Examples for
this are USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany and some others. (Sasketchewan in
Canada looks weird, it's the only flag with 2 details, well it's not that
bad.)

Sometimes a flag and a detail must be displayed together and that's the
reason why span.detail and span.single have different widths. Possibly I'm
going to drop that, because the difference is only 5px. But IMHO this light
irregularity looks quite nice.

Don't ask why I declared display:inline-block for thumb and display:block
for caption, I have only a vague impression what they mean, it just was the
combination that looked best ... Furthermore the browsers do not evaluate
this in the same way.

The last two are for the headers. Could have both named them 'head', but
I'll check that later. Main problem here was that the gallery tended to
cover the header. Took me some time to learn that vertical-align dös not
do much, but margin-bottom works.

Some problems remain, for example the caption for UK, Libya and some others
is too long, so either the image stands higher (IE) or the text reaches
under the next line's flag (Firefox). So the browsers even have their own
ways when they don't know how to display something ... ;-)

So, now I'm ready to receive your reports, that it looks like crap in Opera
or some UNIX-based browser.

Viele Grüße
Klaus

dorayme

Klaus Cammin said:
I implemented the new view of my pages. You may check it out if you like to
and tell me, if a browser starts behaving strangely. I tested it with
Firefox and IE.

http://home.pages.at/klaca/INDEX_EN.HTM

http://members.optusnet.com.au/droovies/pics/safariFlags.png is
what I saw straight off in Safari. And the whole site and all the
links look similarly messy...

If after some further efforts you do not get it to look neat, use
a table and cells to line everything up.

Jonathan N. Little

Klaus said:
Hi all,

ok, this is it!

Many thanks again for your help!

I implemented the new view of my pages. You may check it out if you like to
and tell me, if a browser starts behaving strangely. I tested it with
Firefox and IE.

http://home.pages.at/klaca/INDEX_EN.HTM
http://home.pages.at/klaca/flaggen.css /* here are the CSS declarations */

Basically I followed Els' example, which is preferable because image and
caption have their own format declarations and additional formatting can be
applied.

Thought mine way was simpler to code and it did not break if you change
your text size. Accommodates large captions and all flag are aligned at
the top which looks 'intensional'... Works in Gecko, Opera *and* ol'IE....

You can still be very specific in your formatting without having to add
container elements and extra classes.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jonathan N. Little said:
Just wondering what are the red yellow and green spheres in the Safari
title bar mean? Sometimes I find MACs go artsy over clarity on icons...

Um, just a minute. OK, the yellow sphere puts the page in the dock. Now
let's see what the green does. Ah, that resizes. The red sphere kills
the window, but I knew that.
A year and a half with Safari and I didn't know or care about either
green or yellow. Perhaps all Mac Windows have those capabilities.
Obviously, my computing preferences are fairly set.

leo

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little said:
Just wondering what are the red yellow and green spheres in the Safari
title bar mean? Sometimes I find MACs go artsy over clarity on icons...

Its a thing they borrowed from the Win world in a way... When you
hover on the red, a "x" appears in it and this circle is for
quitting. The middle orange, a "-" appears and it is for
minimising (it goes into the altogether too cute dock. How I hate
it still!) and the green gets a "+" and this expands the window
to fit the contents - no not beyond the edge of the screen, Macs
are very clever but not magical... :)

Klaus Cammin

Hi dorayme,
http://members.optusnet.com.au/droovies/pics/safariFlags.png is
what I saw straight off in Safari. And the whole site and all the
links look similarly messy...

I see that your browser alignes the flags at the upper edge, which mine
dösn't. If that could be done by an additional declaration and a margin-
bottom for the thumb-section is defined, would that solve the problem?

Furthermore I should use em for the measurements, eh? ;-)

Viele Grüße
Klaus

Klaus Cammin

Hi dorayme,

Klaus said:
Furthermore I should use em for the measurements, eh? ;-)

I did that and it's a real improvement!
Increasing text sizes seems to be resolved.
How is it with your browser now?

Viele Grüße
Klaus

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Its a thing they borrowed from the Win world in a way... When you
hover on the red, a "x" appears in it and this circle is for
quitting. The middle orange, a "-" appears and it is for
minimising (it goes into the altogether too cute dock. How I hate
it still!) and the green gets a "+" and this expands the window
to fit the contents - no not beyond the edge of the screen, Macs
are very clever but not magical... :)

Wow that was intuitive! ;-)

Jonathan N. Little

Klaus said:
Oh, sorry, just saw that I used 'id' instead of 'class' ...

Added a <BR> between thumb and caption. Looks quite nice now, but still

Not needed,

..flags DIV A { display: block; }

makes the A element a *block* so if you want more space below the image
you either add a bottom margin

..flags DIV A { display: block; margin-bottom: 1em; }

and that you make more space below *both* the image line and the text
link, or:

..flags DIV A IMG { border: 0; margin-bottom: 1em; }

which would only add it to the image link. NO CHANGES to the markup
required.

produces 'Schusterjungen'.

What is 'Schusterjungen'????

Some other suggestions would be to find a width and height dimensions
for your individually flag DIVs that works best for all of your captions.

..flags DIV {
float: left; margin: .5em; padding: .5em;
width: 5em; height: 7em; }

Use em's so it scale proportionally with the text-size and a little
experimentation will derive what will look best with your longes caption.

Marking your flag graphics as consistent in size, at least in on
dimension can make you job a lot easier and look more constant, since
you are using GIF you can use a transparent color and mark the image
dimensions all the same size and still vary the flag dimensions.