Free Linux Java 1.4 Implementation

SS

Anybody know if there is one?
I'm looking for something along the lines of Kaffe (but not that
because it only supports Java 1.3).
Thanks
SS

Erwin Moller

SS said:
Anybody know if there is one?
I'm looking for something along the lines of Kaffe (but not that
because it only supports Java 1.3).
Thanks
SS

Your question is a bit strange: Java is for free.
You can dowload your Linux-build at java.sun.com, no strings attached.

If you are looking for an IDE for free, have a look at:
- Netbeans / Forte For Java
(You can download Sun's own modified Netbeans as co-bundle when you download
the J2SE)

- Eclipse, a popular IDE for Java given to the community by IBM.

Both run on Linux (I run both of them on Redhat8)

Of course a lot more IDE's are out there, but I think these 2 are the most
popular.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Michael Borgwardt

SS said:
Anybody know if there is one?
I'm looking for something along the lines of Kaffe (but not that
because it only supports Java 1.3).

Define what exactly you mean with "free". Depending on the answer, the Sun JVM
might be what you want, or perhaps http://www.blackdown.org/

Dalibor Topic

Hi Erwin,

Erwin said:
SS wrote:

Your question is a bit strange: Java is for free.
You can dowload your Linux-build at java.sun.com, no strings attached.

Actually, there are quite a few strings attached. It comes with a huge
license that doesn't let you do a lot of things a free (as in 'free
software' [1]) runtime would.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Erwin Moller

Dalibor said:
Hi Erwin,

Erwin said:
SS wrote:

Your question is a bit strange: Java is for free.
You can dowload your Linux-build at java.sun.com, no strings attached.

Actually, there are quite a few strings attached. It comes with a huge
license that doesn't let you do a lot of things a free (as in 'free
software' [1]) runtime would.

True,

I stand corrected.
I ment my statement in a normal-guy-not-redistributing-end-user kind of way,
but you are right it was a slobby statement.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

SS

Anybody know if there is one?
I'm looking for something along the lines of Kaffe (but not that
because it only supports Java 1.3).
Thanks
SS

Ok, by free, I mean that I would be able to use it freely in a
business/professional environment, such as you could with Gnu C/C++
etc. I thought the Sun VM would have some licence issues when used in
a business environment??

Irrespective of this, unfortunately the platform I am using is Redhat
6.2, and the binaries for the Sun VM won't run on it. Kaffe, on the
other hand is distributed as source code which will compile and run on
Redhat 6.2. It is not feasible to upgrade the platform to a later
version of Redhat (for various reasons).

I don't think the Sun VM source is available?

So, in short, want a free Java VM + libraries, that will run on Redhat
6.2.

Christophe Vanfleteren

SS said:
(e-mail address removed) (SS) wrote in message

Ok, by free, I mean that I would be able to use it freely in a
business/professional environment, such as you could with Gnu C/C++
etc. I thought the Sun VM would have some licence issues when used in
a business environment??

No it doesn't. Unless you're in aviation or a nuclear plant.
Irrespective of this, unfortunately the platform I am using is Redhat
6.2, and the binaries for the Sun VM won't run on it. Kaffe, on the
other hand is distributed as source code which will compile and run on
Redhat 6.2. It is not feasible to upgrade the platform to a later
version of Redhat (for various reasons).

I don't think the Sun VM source is available?

So, in short, want a free Java VM + libraries, that will run on Redhat
6.2.

You might want to try blackdown (http://blackdown.org/), which is a Linux
specific port of the Sun JDK.

But as to running on Redhat 6.2, I have my doubts about it. Maybe the older
versions such as 1.2 or 1.3 will, but I'm sure 1.4 won't.

Tom

I'm curious why 1.4 won't. Is there some significant difference
between 1.3 and 1.4 (or between RedHat 6.2 and later versions) that
prevents Sun's 1.4 from working on Redhat 6.2?

Christophe Vanfleteren

Tom said:
I'm curious why 1.4 won't. Is there some significant difference
between 1.3 and 1.4 (or between RedHat 6.2 and later versions) that
prevents Sun's 1.4 from working on Redhat 6.2?

I'm not sure it won't. But the status page
(http://blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/jdk1.4-status.html) lists the
following requirements for the 1.4 VM:

i586 compatible system
glibc-2.2.5 or newer
kernel 2.4.18 or newer
XFree 4.2 or newer
libstdc++ from gcc-3.2 or newer (only needed for the gcc-3.2 Java build)
Mozilla 1.0 or newer built with gcc-2.95 or gcc-3.2 depending on which Java
build you use (needed only for the Java Plug-In)

I don't think Redhat 6.2 will meet the glibc and kernel requirements. I
can't find a similiar list for 1.2/1.3 though. I guess you'll just have to
try what works.

Michael Borgwardt

SS said:
I don't think the Sun VM source is available?

Actually, it is. The source of the API Java classes is distributed with the SDK,
and you can get the source of the sun-specific classes and VM code under the
community license program. I'm not sure whether it really contains all that's
needed to compile it, though.