    "sams teach yourself RUBY in 21 days" book.

    can you give me any link to get it by downloading pdf format.

    thank you

    hazal, Mar 22, 2007

  2. hazal wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > i start to learn Ruby . i NEED
    >
    > "sams teach yourself RUBY in 21 days" book.
    >
    > can you give me any link to get it by downloading pdf format.
    >
    > thank you

    http://www.ebookmall.com/ebooks/sams-teach-yourself-ruby-in-21-days-slagell-ebooks.htm

    Not free, though, and found after a quick Google query.

    --
    Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski

    Rule of Open-Source Programming #48:

    The number of items on a project's to-do list always grows or remains
    constant.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Mar 22, 2007

  3. hazal

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    Umm. No.
    No.
    And may I repeat no.
    Someone wrote that and decided not to release it for free. That's a
    valid choice, and should be respected and supported. Your lack of
    will, or funds, to get the legal version of the book don't matter.

    Now all that aside, you can learn ruby very nicely from the pragmatic
    programmers guide (available legally, for free, online), and the
    poignent guide to ruby (also available, legally, for free).

    Use google. It's your friend. It will find those guides for you, and
    also find plenty of good examples.

    And don't ask people to participate in theft like that.

    --Kyle

    Kyle Schmitt, Mar 22, 2007
  4. hazal

    pat eyler Guest

    On 3/22/07, hazal <> wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > i start to learn Ruby . i NEED
    >
    > "sams teach yourself RUBY in 21 days" book.
    >
    > can you give me any link to get it by downloading pdf format.

    1) this book is not available under a legitimate free download
    2) this book is dated, and other books would make a better purchase.

    > thank you

    thanks,
    -pate
    -------------------------
    http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
    http://on-ruby.tumblr.com
    http://www.rubycentral.org/projects/soc2007

    pat eyler, Mar 22, 2007
  5. --------------enig8D02ACBDA6150A842D21999E

    * Kyle Schmitt, 22.03.2007 16:56:
    > And don't ask people to participate in theft like that.

    I'd suggest not to use the term "theft" in this context because for
    example in Germany to commit a theft ("Diebstahl") you need to take
    away something physical (and movable) from someone else. This does
    not mean that in Germany it is no crime to download the book but only
    means that downloading it is a different kind of crime. I'd suggest
    simply writing it "unethical and illegal acts like that".

    Besides this I would suggest printed works because the have an
    indisputable advantage compared to PDFs: You can read them without
    displaying them on a computer. This means

    a) You can read them where using a computer (not even a laptop) is
    not a good idea.
    b) You can have the book on your desktop and not covering valuable
    room on you screen.

    Suggestions for books:

    - "Programming Ruby" von Dave Thomas et al.

    - "Ruby Cookbook" by Carlson & Richardson

    If you are into Rails perhaps also

    - "Agile Web Development with Rails" by Hansson

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
    --=20
    Blog available at http://www.mynetcologne.de/~nc-schugtjo/blog/
    PGP key with id 6CC6574F available at http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net/

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt, Mar 22, 2007
  6. hazal

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    Really? What type of crime is it. Completely off topic, but it's interesting.

    Kyle Schmitt, Mar 22, 2007
  7. Kyle Schmitt wrote:
    > Really? What type of crime is it. Completely off topic, but it's
    > interesting.

    Actually, it's theft, too, just not in the shoplifting-sense.

    The German term would be "Urheberrechtsverletzung" (copyright
    infringement): unlicensed, and not explicitly exempt by law (§ 53 UrhG),
    copying and distribution of a copyrighted work, and / or usage of such a
    work.

    This is covered in § 106 UrhG (Urheberrechtsgesetz: Copyright law).

    Disclaimer: IANAL.

    --
    Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski

    Rule of Open-Source Programming #15:

    If you like it, let the author know. If you hate it, let the author
    know why.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Mar 22, 2007
  8. Tanner Burson wrote:
    > On 3/22/07, Kyle Schmitt <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Really? What type of crime is it. Completely off topic, but it's
    >> interesting.

    > The same kind of crime it is in the United States I imagine, civil
    > copyright
    > infringement. This is getting way OT, but google for essays by Lawrence
    > Lessig for a lot more information on the differences between theft and
    > copyright infringement.

    No, it can land you in a criminal court, additional to the civil branch
    of the justice system.

    (Yes, our RIAA and MPAA equivalents have gone crazy, too)

    Phillip Gawlowski, Mar 22, 2007
  9. hazal

    Chad Wilson Guest

    I found the Poignant Guide difficult to read. I used to be a programmer
    many moons ago, but only recently have tried to get back into the swing
    of things. I am used to reading technical manuals. The way of
    describing things in the Poignant Guide tended to confuse me, rather
    than help.

    But, I have enjoyed learning Ruby with the Pragmatic Programmer book, as
    well as the on-line tutorials.

    -w

    Chad Wilson, Mar 22, 2007
  10. hazal

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 01:40:35AM +0900, Josef 'Jupp' Schugt wrote:
    > * Kyle Schmitt, 22.03.2007 16:56:
    > > And don't ask people to participate in theft like that.

    > I'd suggest not to use the term "theft" in this context because for
    > example in Germany to commit a theft ("Diebstahl") you need to take
    > away something physical (and movable) from someone else. This does
    > not mean that in Germany it is no crime to download the book but only
    > means that downloading it is a different kind of crime. I'd suggest
    > simply writing it "unethical and illegal acts like that".

    It's not "theft" in the United States, either. It's "copyright
    infringement". The law recognizes a distinct difference between "theft"
    (depriving someone of something by taking it) and "infringement"
    (violating a legally granted monopolistic privilege).

    The book isn't closed on the subject of copyright infringement being
    ethical, either. Let's just stick with calling it "infringement" or an
    "illegal" act, and avoid the controversy -- unless you really want to
    hear my views on a logically consistent system of ethics derived from
    first principles as it relates to the concept of "intellectual
    property".

    Chad Perrin, Mar 22, 2007
  11. hazal

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 02:09:26AM +0900, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
    > Tanner Burson wrote:
    > >On 3/22/07, Kyle Schmitt <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>Really? What type of crime is it. Completely off topic, but it's
    > >>interesting.

    > >The same kind of crime it is in the United States I imagine, civil
    > >copyright
    > >infringement. This is getting way OT, but google for essays by Lawrence
    > >Lessig for a lot more information on the differences between theft and
    > >copyright infringement.

    > No, it can land you in a criminal court, additional to the civil branch
    > of the justice system.
    >
    > (Yes, our RIAA and MPAA equivalents have gone crazy, too)

    In the US, you can end up in criminal court for activities related to
    infringement, but not for the infringement itself. The terms of the
    DMCA, for instance, can land you in criminal court for certain types of
    circumvention of so-called "security" measures that were deemed at the
    time (by a bunch of technically deficient legislators) to be indivisible
    from copyright infringement.

    It's getting pretty thick on Capitol Hill.

    Amazon.com interview candidate: "When C++ is your
    hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb."

    Chad Perrin, Mar 22, 2007
  12. hazal

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 02:07:59AM +0900, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
    > Kyle Schmitt wrote:
    > >Really? What type of crime is it. Completely off topic, but it's
    > >interesting.

    > Actually, it's theft, too, just not in the shoplifting-sense.

    The fact that it's illegal does not make it "theft".

    Brian K. Reid: "In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."

    Chad Perrin, Mar 22, 2007
  13. hazal

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    OK guys, stop jumping down my throat for using the common term for something.

    Legally is it theft? Maybe not, but commonly it is referred to as such.

    He did ask for something illicit, knowing full well it was illegal.
    Why was the use of one word in a response diverting all focus from the
    original intent of the post?

    --Kyle

    Kyle Schmitt, Mar 22, 2007
  14. Chad Perrin wrote:
    > On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 02:07:59AM +0900, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
    >> Kyle Schmitt wrote:
    >>> Really? What type of crime is it. Completely off topic, but it's
    >>> interesting.

    >> Actually, it's theft, too, just not in the shoplifting-sense.

    > The fact that it's illegal does not make it "theft".

    The law handles it similar to a theft, over here. And it is a *kind* of
    theft in any case (loss of revenue, for example, and I know stuff like
    that doesn't translate into automatic loss of revenue!).

    Still, I placed the IANAL, disclaimer, and I'm expressing difficult
    stuff in layman's terms, from a layman's perspective to boot.

    --
    Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski

    Rule of Open-Source Programming #20:

    Open Code != Good Code

    Phillip Gawlowski, Mar 22, 2007
  15. Kyle Schmitt wrote:
    > OK guys, stop jumping down my throat for using the common term for
    > something.
    >
    > Legally is it theft? Maybe not, but commonly it is referred to as such.
    >
    > He did ask for something illicit, knowing full well it was illegal.
    > Why was the use of one word in a response diverting all focus from the
    > original intent of the post?

    Because programmers thrive on exact language, and exact meanings of
    terms, maybe? ESR has written some interesting stuff about that.

    --
    Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski

    Rule of Open-Source Programming #7:

    Release early, release often. Clean compilation is optional.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Mar 22, 2007
  16. Chad Wilson wrote:
    > I found the Poignant Guide difficult to read. I used to be a programmer
    > many moons ago, but only recently have tried to get back into the swing
    > of things. I am used to reading technical manuals. The way of
    > describing things in the Poignant Guide tended to confuse me, rather
    > than help.

    I found that I could understand _why's peculiar stile after I already
    had somewhat adjusted to the Ruby culture in general.

    The nice thing is, that there are many tutorials out there, that even I
    can understand. Something, I found distinctly lacking in the so-called
    enterprise-level languages like C/++ or Java.

    > But, I have enjoyed learning Ruby with the Pragmatic Programmer book, as
    > well as the on-line tutorials.

    And the Pickaxe is a very good reference, too. I tend to look into it
    first, before consulting *ri.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Mar 22, 2007
  17. On 3/22/07, Phillip Gawlowski <> wrote:
    > Kyle Schmitt wrote:
    > > OK guys, stop jumping down my throat for using the common term for
    > > something.
    > >
    > > Legally is it theft? Maybe not, but commonly it is referred to as such.
    > >
    > > He did ask for something illicit, knowing full well it was illegal.
    > > Why was the use of one word in a response diverting all focus from the
    > > original intent of the post?

    > Because programmers thrive on exact language, and exact meanings of
    > terms, maybe? ESR has written some interesting stuff about that.

    Nah. It's a bikeshed to the nuclear power plant of intellectual
    property discussions in general.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler * * http://www.halostatue.ca/
    * * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/

    Austin Ziegler, Mar 22, 2007
  18. hazal

    Alex Young Guest

    Kyle Schmitt wrote:
    > OK guys, stop jumping down my throat for using the common term for
    > something.
    >
    > Legally is it theft? Maybe not, but commonly it is referred to as such.

    Do we let people get away with mixing up Ruby with Rails? Static with
    strict typing? Relational databases with SQL? Just because a mistake
    is commonly made doesn't make it any less a mistake.

    > He did ask for something illicit, knowing full well it was illegal.
    > Why was the use of one word in a response diverting all focus from the
    > original intent of the post?

    My take is that the disapproval was taken as read, and didn't need any
    further embellishment. Besides, the nuances of international copyright
    law are far more interesting than a crude breach of community etiquette :)

    --
    Alex

    Alex Young, Mar 22, 2007
  19. Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > Nah. It's a bikeshed to the nuclear power plant of intellectual
    > property discussions in general.

    Probably closer to "ICBM, and I'm not afraid to use it!", rather than
    power plant..

    --
    Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski

    Rule of Open-Source Programming #9:

    Give me refactoring or give me death!

    Phillip Gawlowski, Mar 22, 2007
  20. The first edition of Programming Ruby is available free, extremely
    good, very popular, and easy to find. The Sams book isn't free, is
    obviously hard to find, and very probably sucks. Stealing Sams when
    you can get Programming Ruby for free is like holding up a liquor
    store when you already have a great job.

    --
    Giles Bowkett
    http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

    Giles Bowkett, Mar 22, 2007