FreeBSD SoC projects in Ruby

ngw

Hi *, this morning I was reading the FreeBSD SoC project list and I saw a
project where Ruby IMVHO is suitable:

<cite>
Improve our regression testing system: Nik Clayton has written a regression
test infrastructure using Perl. More of the regression tests should be made to
work with libtap. There are two main parts to it. First, many of the existing
tests should be moved from using assert() to using ok() and friends from
libtap. Second, more regression tests should be written. Students familiar
with scripting languages and software testing are encouraged to work on this.
Nik Clayton is the coordinator.
</cite>

The whole list is here http://www.freebsd.org/projects/summerofcode.html
Unfortunately I'm not a student, but maybe someone is interested as it seems
an important and challenging project to work on. Also, FreeBSD already uses a
lot of Ruby, for example portupgrade is in Ruby, and I think the core team would
accept a switch from Perl to Ruby if the system is good enough for inclusion.
I hope one of the many talented ruby programmers writing here will take the
project.

HTH,
ngw

Erik Hollensbe

Hi *, this morning I was reading the FreeBSD SoC project list and I saw a
project where Ruby IMVHO is suitable:

<cite>
Improve our regression testing system: Nik Clayton has written a regression
test infrastructure using Perl. More of the regression tests should be made to
work with libtap. There are two main parts to it. First, many of the existing
tests should be moved from using assert() to using ok() and friends from
libtap. Second, more regression tests should be written. Students familiar
with scripting languages and software testing are encouraged to work on this.
Nik Clayton is the coordinator.

Maybe I don't have enough context here, but are you sure it doesn't
seem like they want to keep their testing system, but make some rather
large overhauls to how it's used?

ngw

-Erik Hollensbe said:
Maybe I don't have enough context here, but are you sure it doesn't
seem like they want to keep their testing system, but make some rather
large overhauls to how it's used?

Well, it talks about familiarity with scripting languages.
It seems to me that the regression testing system needs to be in part
rewritten and in part extended so why not.
I don't think they care about wich language the commiter chooses if the final
result is better than the Perl version.
Anyway, writing an email to Mr. Clayton is probably the only way to know more
about the requirements.

ngw