Freeware installer for java application with native library

Discussion in 'Java' started by Etantonio, Jun 22, 2009.

  1. Etantonio

    Etantonio Guest

    Hi,
    I just finished to develop my java desktop application and now I need
    an installer for it,
    I've several libraries like log4j.jar and jfreechart-1.0.11.jar and
    also RXTXcomm.jar that is a native library and have to be in the JRE
    installation directory under the path ./lib/ext otherwise the program
    doesn't work.

    So I need an opensource installer that solve me these problems :

    1) find the JRE used in the system and copy RXTXcomm.jar there in ./
    lib/ext
    2) produce a program that starts just with a double click
    3) manage external configuration files and resource

    can you help me to find the right solution, I'm trying to avoid Java
    Web Start and commercial installers.

    Antonio
    www.etantonio.it

    Etantonio, Jun 22, 2009

  2. Etantonio

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Etantonio
    said :

    >So I need an opensource installer that solve me these problems :

    I have collected all the installers I know of at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html

    If you use Jet, it has one bundled.

    The commercial ones have such complicated script languages, always
    missing the feature you need and complicated by zillions you don't.

    This suggests to me writing your own from scratch in C++ might be a
    quite reasonable thing to do.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    If everyone lived the way people do in Vancouver, we would need three more entire planets to support us.
    ~ Guy Dauncey

    Roedy Green, Jun 22, 2009

  3. Etantonio

    Steve Sobol Guest

    In article <415e01af-0384-4607-b23b-41fd7f74e502
    @c36g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, says...
    under the path ./lib/ext otherwise the program
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > So I need an opensource installer that solve me these problems :
    >
    > 1) find the JRE used in the system and copy RXTXcomm.jar there in ./
    > lib/ext
    > 2) produce a program that starts just with a double click
    > 3) manage external configuration files and resource
    >
    > can you help me to find the right solution, I'm trying to avoid Java
    > Web Start and commercial installers.

    launch4j to create a double-clickable exe, installjammer to create the
    installer.

    http://launch4j.sf.net/
    http://installjammer.com/

    --
    Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA

    Steve Sobol, Jun 22, 2009
  4. Etantonio

    markspace Guest

    Etantonio wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I just finished to develop my java desktop application and now I need
    > an installer for it,
    > I've several libraries like log4j.jar and jfreechart-1.0.11.jar and

    Well, I believe Java Web Start does all that. You should check Sun's
    solution first.

    Here's an open source list of installers. I can't actually vouch for
    any of them myself.

    <http://java-source.net/open-source/installer-generators>

    markspace, Jun 22, 2009