    My question is: Of these two methods for uploading files, is one better
    than the other? Or they are equally good?

    Thanks.

    Dung Ping, Jan 6, 2006

  2. Dung Ping

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Dung Ping" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I used to upload files with ftp. But recently the ftp on my notebook
    > computer does not work well. So I have to upload files at the
    > control panel of my web site. My files are rather small, and there are
    > not many.
    >
    > My question is: Of these two methods for uploading files, is one better
    > than the other? Or they are equally good?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Assuming that this means you need to upload each file individually then it
    sounds a bit laborious to me. A decent FTP client would help - but if your
    FTP tool is one where you have to copy each file individually then there
    won't be much to choose between them. I wouldn't lie awake at night
    wondering whether uploading via your control panel will have broken anything
    (if that was the reason behind asking).

    Once you have more than a small handful of files I'd advocate an intelligent
    ftp uploader - such as Web Site Publisher
    (www.cryer.co.uk/downloads/websitepublisher/), which is free but there are
    others to choose from.

    Hope this is useful.

    Brian.

    Brian Cryer, Jan 6, 2006

  3. Dung Ping

    Guest

    Dung Ping wrote:
    > I used to upload files with ftp. But recently the ftp on my notebook
    > computer does not work well. So I have to upload files at the
    > control panel of my web site. My files are rather small, and there are
    > not many.
    >
    > My question is: Of these two methods for uploading files, is one better
    > than the other? Or they are equally good?

    FTP, no contest. From a single file to multiple directories all in one
    go. All files, changed files, new files, easy. Even scheduled,
    scripted uploads/downloads so that I can transfer large amounts of data
    to/from a site.

    Control panel stuff is all very well for very small sites, but apart
    from that they're rubbish. Don't even entertain using it long-term,
    and get your FTP client sorted out.

    --
    Hywel

    , Jan 6, 2006
  4. Dung Ping

    Guest

    You can also use Internet Explorer as an FTP client

    -Corey

    , Jan 6, 2006
  5. Dung Ping

    Gufus Guest

    Hi ,

    > You can also use Internet Explorer as an FTP client

    How?

    Gufus

    mailto:
    http://www.gypsy-designs.com

    .... History is a set of lies agreed upon by the victors

    Gufus, Jan 6, 2006
  6. Dung Ping

    saz Guest

    saz, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Dung Ping

    Dung Ping Guest

    Dung Ping, Jan 7, 2006
  8. Gufus wrote:

    > Hi ,
    >
    > > You can also use Internet Explorer as an FTP client

    > How?

    Why?

    --
    Blinky Reg Linux User 297263
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2006
  9. Dung Ping

    Gufus Guest

    Gufus, Jan 11, 2006
  10. Blinky the Shark, Jan 15, 2006
  11. Dung Ping

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Dung Ping wrote:

    > I used to upload files with ftp. But recently the ftp on my notebook
    > computer does not work well. So I have to upload files at the
    > control panel of my web site. My files are rather small, and there are
    > not many.
    >
    > My question is: Of these two methods for uploading files, is one better
    > than the other? Or they are equally good?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Nah. FTP win's hands down. You can use eather command line or just
    upload / download useing the Gui.
    I back-up my sites that way by just transfering the files strate off
    the server.

    Chaddy2222, Jan 16, 2006