ftp uploading vs. control panel uploading

Dung Ping

I used to upload files with ftp. But recently the ftp on my notebook
computer does not work well. So I have to upload files at the
control panel of my web site. My files are rather small, and there are
not many.

My question is: Of these two methods for uploading files, is one better
than the other? Or they are equally good?

Thanks.

Brian Cryer

Dung Ping said:
I used to upload files with ftp. But recently the ftp on my notebook
computer does not work well. So I have to upload files at the
control panel of my web site. My files are rather small, and there are
not many.

My question is: Of these two methods for uploading files, is one better
than the other? Or they are equally good?

Thanks.

Assuming that this means you need to upload each file individually then it
sounds a bit laborious to me. A decent FTP client would help - but if your
FTP tool is one where you have to copy each file individually then there
won't be much to choose between them. I wouldn't lie awake at night
wondering whether uploading via your control panel will have broken anything
(if that was the reason behind asking).

Once you have more than a small handful of files I'd advocate an intelligent
ftp uploader - such as Web Site Publisher
(www.cryer.co.uk/downloads/websitepublisher/), which is free but there are
others to choose from.

Hope this is useful.

Brian.

hywel.jenkins

Dung said:
I used to upload files with ftp. But recently the ftp on my notebook
computer does not work well. So I have to upload files at the
control panel of my web site. My files are rather small, and there are
not many.

My question is: Of these two methods for uploading files, is one better
than the other? Or they are equally good?

FTP, no contest. From a single file to multiple directories all in one
go. All files, changed files, new files, easy. Even scheduled,
scripted uploads/downloads so that I can transfer large amounts of data
to/from a site.

Control panel stuff is all very well for very small sites, but apart
from that they're rubbish. Don't even entertain using it long-term,
and get your FTP client sorted out.

Chaddy2222

Dung said:
I used to upload files with ftp. But recently the ftp on my notebook
computer does not work well. So I have to upload files at the
control panel of my web site. My files are rather small, and there are
not many.

My question is: Of these two methods for uploading files, is one better
than the other? Or they are equally good?

Thanks.
Nah. FTP win's hands down. You can use eather command line or just
upload / download useing the Gui.
I back-up my sites that way by just transfering the files strate off
the server.