FTP uploads via browser takes path of desktop machine

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jim arnold, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. jim arnold

    jim arnold Guest

    Any ideas here would be appreciated....

    The company where I work has a tool where a file can be upload via a
    web browser to a directory on a Unix server. The tool that they wrote
    also allows you to update the file. On any computer other than a
    windows machine whenever you try to "update" the file our program
    picks up the path of the file on the desktop computer used to upload
    the photo. At first I thought it was a Macintosh problem until I tried
    to update a file via Mozilla on a Unix box and it too picked up the
    path of the file on that computer. The problem occurs when you use the
    tools to link to the updated file. Now instead of pointing to the path
    of the file on the Unix server it's pointing to the path of the file
    on the computer you used to update the file and obviously breaking the
    html.

    Sorry, I don't have access to the code they used to write their
    program. I was hoping someone might have an idea I can present to them
    to fix this.

    Thanks.
    jim arnold, Mar 4, 2004

  2. jim arnold

    spaghetti Guest

    On 4 Mar 2004 05:33:19 -0800, jim arnold <> wrote:

    > Any ideas here would be appreciated....
    >
    > The company where I work has a tool where a file can be upload via a
    > web browser to a directory on a Unix server. The tool that they wrote
    > also allows you to update the file. On any computer other than a
    > windows machine whenever you try to "update" the file our program
    > picks up the path of the file on the desktop computer used to upload
    > the photo. At first I thought it was a Macintosh problem until I tried
    > to update a file via Mozilla on a Unix box and it too picked up the
    > path of the file on that computer. The problem occurs when you use the
    > tools to link to the updated file. Now instead of pointing to the path
    > of the file on the Unix server it's pointing to the path of the file
    > on the computer you used to update the file and obviously breaking the
    > html.
    >
    > Sorry, I don't have access to the code they used to write their
    > program. I was hoping someone might have an idea I can present to them
    > to fix this.

    It sounds like a poor upload handling script, probably designed by someone
    who never tested it on a system other than Windows. There isn't much you
    can do 'cept contact those who built the system and see if they can fix it.
    spaghetti, Mar 5, 2004