    forcing me to use ALT-F$ to close the page..

    Did someone have any idea ?

    thank you.
    Andre, Apr 13, 2006

  2. Andre wrote:

    > [...]
    > I want a fullscreen page with no bar.. anything, just the page...
    > forcing me to use ALT-F$ to close the page..

    No, you don't. <URL:http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/fullscreen.jpeg>

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Andre

    Aaron Gray Guest

    "Andre" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have this code, and he's working for about 2 years now. With a recent
    > computer change, he stop to work (with IE6). Now i always have the
    > titlebar and statusbar.
    >
    > window.open(theURL, 'Page',
    > 'screenx=0,screeny=0,toolbar=0,menubar=0,status=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=0,top=0,left=0,fullscreen=1');
    >
    > I want a fullscreen page with no bar.. anything, just the page...
    > forcing me to use ALT-F$ to close the page..
    >
    > Did someone have any idea ?

    Try this it works for me :-

    ~~~~~~~~ FullScreen.html ~~~~~~~~~~~

    <head>

    </head>

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--

    function DoOpen()
    {
    window.open(
    "FullScreenWindow.html",
    null,
    "scrollbars=no,channelmode=yes,fullscreen=yes,titlebar=no"
    );
    }

    //-->
    </script>

    <form>
    <input type="button" name="Open" value="Open" onClick="DoOpen();">
    </form>

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ FullScreenWindow.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    <head>

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--

    function Keypress()
    {
    this.close("yes");
    }

    //-->
    </script>

    </head>
    test

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > thank you.

    Thats quite alright, hope it works for you too :)

    Report back if it works or does not work still please report back.

    Aaron
    Aaron Gray, Apr 15, 2006
  4. Andre

    Aaron Gray Guest

    "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> wrote in message
    > Andre wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> I want a fullscreen page with no bar.. anything, just the page...
    >> forcing me to use ALT-F$ to close the page..

    > No, you don't. <URL:http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/fullscreen.jpeg>
    >

    > PointedEars

    Great one, or not for that matter :)

    Needs some IE detection in there, thanks.

    Aaron
    Aaron Gray, Apr 15, 2006
  5. Aaron Gray wrote:

    > "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" [...] wrote [...]
    >> Andre wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>> I want a fullscreen page with no bar.. anything, just the page...
    >>> forcing me to use ALT-F$ to close the page..

    >> No, you don't. <URL:http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/fullscreen.jpeg>
    >> [...]

    > Great one, or not for that matter :)
    >
    > Needs some IE detection in there, thanks.

    What does IE have to do with that?

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 15, 2006
  6. Aaron Gray wrote:

    > "Andre" [...] wrote [...]
    >> I have this code, and he's working for about 2 years now. With a
    >> recent computer change, he stop to work (with IE6). Now i always
    >> have the titlebar and statusbar.
    >>
    >> window.open(theURL, 'Page',
    >> 'screenx=0,screeny=0,toolbar=0,menubar=0,status=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=0,top=0,left=0,fullscreen=1');
    >>
    >> I want a fullscreen page with no bar.. anything, just the page...
    >> forcing me to use ALT-F$ to close the page..
    >>
    >> Did someone have any idea ?

    > Try this it works for me :-

    For appropriate values of "works".

    > ~~~~~~~~ FullScreen.html ~~~~~~~~~~~

    The system identifier is missing, triggering Quirks/Compatibility Mode.

    <URL:http://www.quirksmode.org/css/quirksmode.html>

    > <head>
    >
    > </head>

    The `title' element is missing for Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional.
    One should be able to write Valid HTML before attempting to write
    any Web-based script code.

    <URL:http://validator.w3.org/>

    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > <!--

    ^^^^
    Anyone with a minimum clue would have stopped using this always-nonsensical,
    long-since-obsolete technique by now, being discussed and recommended
    against here ad nauseam now.

    <URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=comment+OR+commenting+OR+hiding&as_ugroup=comp.lang.javascript&scoring=d&filter=0>

    > function DoOpen()

    It is not a constructor, and it is not intended to be used as such,
    so the identifier should not start with a capital letter. Code style.

    > {
    > window.open(
    > "FullScreenWindow.html",
    > null,

    `null' (the null, empty, or non-existent object reference) is not allowed
    as second argument, which you would have known had you ever consulted any
    reference material. A string value is expected here. `null' is maybe
    converted to the string "null", but one should not rely on that. A window
    named "null" would not make much sense anyway.

    <URL:http://research.nihonsoft.org/javascript/ClientReferenceJS13/window.html#1202731>
    <URL:http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open#Return_value_and_parameters>
    <URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/open_0.asp>

    > "scrollbars=no,channelmode=yes,fullscreen=yes,titlebar=no"

    The OP's request was to remove title bar _and_ status bar. Either
    statusbar=0 is the default, then using it as the OP already wrote did not
    change anything; or it is not the default, then statusbar=0 obviously did
    not work with the OP.

    The reason is of course the usability improvements for IE 6 coming with
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 (note that the OP wrote about "a recent computer
    change"). Fortunately for users, script authors cannot work around them.

    <URL:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EHNAI>

    > );
    > }

    I seriously doubt there is any point in using this method.

    > //-->

    See above.

    > </script>
    >
    > <form>

    The required `action' attribute is missing.

    > <input type="button" name="Open" value="Open" onClick="DoOpen();">
    > </form>

    The button is not functional without client-side script support, therefore
    it should probably be generated by a client-side script. Furthermore, the
    `form' element is unnecessary here, especially with HTML 4.01 Transitional,
    and the `name' attribute is unnecessary, too.

    document.write('<input type="button" value="Open" onclick="DoOpen();">');

    > [...]
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ FullScreenWindow.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > <head>
    >
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > <!--

    See above.

    > function Keypress()
    > {
    > this.close("yes");

    `this' in this method, if called as below, refers to the Global Object.
    It is error-prone to infer that the Global Object has host-defined
    properties that Window objects have. Use window.close() instead.
    That said, Window::close() never took any arguments.

    <URL:http://research.nihonsoft.org/javascript/ClientReferenceJS13/window.html#1201822>
    <URL:http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.close>
    <URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/close_0.asp>

    > }
    >
    > //-->

    See above.

    > </script>
    >

    > </head>

    Not Valid, the `title' element is missing again.

    So *any* keypress closes the window, even a Ctrl+F or F5. However, the OP's
    request included that only "ALT+F$" (probably "ALT+F4" was meant) should
    close the window.

    > [...]
    > Report back if it works or does not work still please report back.

    YMMD.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 15, 2006
  7. Andre

    Evertjan. Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote on 16 apr 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > So *any* keypress closes the window, even a Ctrl+F or F5. However,
    > the OP's request included that only "ALT+F$" (probably "ALT+F4" was
    > meant) should close the window.

    "ALT+F4"

    Isn't that default behavour, closing the application, in a windows
    environment?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Apr 16, 2006
  8. JRS: In article <>, dated Sat, 15 Apr
    2006 03:52:52 remote, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Thomas
    'PointedEars' Lahn <> posted :
    >Andre wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> I want a fullscreen page with no bar.. anything, just the page...
    >> forcing me to use ALT-F$ to close the page..

    >No, you don't. <URL:http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/fullscreen.jpeg>

    Control freak. If he wants to use full-screen, let him. It is, after
    all, his computer, or so he says.

    Andre : be aware that TL is a recognised weirdo.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ???@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
    Check boilerplate spelling -- error is a public sign of incompetence.
    Dr John Stockton, Apr 16, 2006
  9. Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > [...] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [...] posted :
    >> Andre wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>> I want a fullscreen page with no bar.. anything, just the page...
    >>> forcing me to use ALT-F$ to close the page..

    >>No, you don't. <URL:http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/fullscreen.jpeg>

    > Control freak. If he wants to use full-screen, let him.
    > It is, after all, his computer, or so he says.

    He did not say at all that this is only for his computer.

    <URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_2>

    > Andre : be aware that TL is a recognised weirdo.

    When they run out of valid arguments, or when they do not have any valid
    argument in the first place, some people try to impose their wild
    assumptions or delusions on others, and even make ad hominem attacks.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 16, 2006