Fun with interfacing GHDL

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by whygee, Jun 5, 2010.

  1. whygee

    whygee Guest

    Hello,

    I have recently written "interesting code" that
    is useful, reusable and has useful properties,
    so here I want to share my results. They have
    all been developed for Linux, Little Endian, 32-bit
    and ease the development work or enhance the
    capabilities of GHDL. Most use the VHPIDIRECT
    to interface with some C code.

    The code can be found there : http://ygdes.com/GHDL/

    http://ygdes.com/GHDL/ghdl_env/ :
    adds a "getenv" function that reads
    the requested environment variable and returns an integer
    (strings are too complex to pass back from C)

    http://ygdes.com/GHDL/clk/ :
    generate a "real time clock", which helps slowing
    down a simulation. The clock period is given as a
    generic in milliseconds, though the system calls
    will easily round up this if you're not careful.
    It's quite useful if you want to synchronise a
    testbench at a few Hz.

    http://ygdes.com/GHDL/lfsr4/ :
    it's a scalable 4-xor LFSR, from 5 taps to 786,
    very handy to have.

    http://ygdes.com/GHDL/fb/ :
    adds a simple and nicely working interface
    to the Linux framebuffer in 32-bit mode (RGBA).
    It needs to be enhanced in the future but it's
    powerful enough for doing nice pictures like this
    demo : http://ygdes.com/~whygee/lissajous.png

    Have fun,

    yg
    --