    suspect that most time-critical code is not written in python.

    Depends on which time is critical: CPU time, or programmer time?

    -jcr
    Guyon Morée, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Guyon Morée wrote:
    > suspect that most time-critical code is not written in python.
    >
    > Depends on which time is critical: CPU time, or programmer time?
    >
    > -jcr

    Not only funny, but also a very *sound* question.

    From your development company's point of view: the programmer time.
    From the customer's point of view: depends. Usually CPU time.
    But programmer's time means longer realization times and usually
    higher cost (unless the project is fixed-price).

    And let's not forget that time-critical code can very well be
    written in a high-performance C extension module.

    --Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Guyon Morée

    John Hunter Guest

    Irmen> And let's not forget that time-critical code can very well
    Irmen> be written in a high-performance C extension module.

    We recently had a physicist visit to show us how to do some
    calculations and analyses he had developed, and he brought with him a
    bunch of FORTRAN code he developed to do the calculations. At first I
    wrapped them with f2py (unbelievably easy!) but then just decided to
    reimplement them in Numeric since they were amenable to array
    processing. I found that the Numeric version was about 20% faster
    than the FORTRAN, in part because there were some inefficiencies in
    his hand coded FORTRAN routines.

    Which emphasizes that it's often better to use a well tested,
    optimized extension than to code it yourself in a compiled language.
    Why reinvent the wheel when you've got a brand new Michelin tire
    sitting in the garage?

    JDH
    John Hunter, Jul 30, 2003
  4. Guyon Morée

    John Machin Guest

    John Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Why reinvent the wheel when you've got a brand new Michelin tire
    > sitting in the garage?

    Because you have a tyre and you don't have a wheel.
    John Machin, Jul 30, 2003
  5. John Hunter wrote:

> [...]

    I don't know where that came from but that is most definately
    not my email address...

    > processing. I found that the Numeric version was about 20% faster
    > than the FORTRAN, in part because there were some inefficiencies in
    > his hand coded FORTRAN routines.
    >
    > Which emphasizes that it's often better to use a well tested,
    > optimized extension than to code it yourself in a compiled language.

    If it's available, and can do the job, I agree 100% with you.
    This will also, in the end, very likely result in a shorter
    development time because you are not writing from scratch.

    --Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Jul 30, 2003