Python 2.6.7 release candidate 2 now available

Discussion in 'Python' started by Barry Warsaw, May 21, 2011.

  1. Barry Warsaw

    Barry Warsaw Guest

    Hello to all you Pythoneers and Pythonistas,

    I'm happy to announce the availability of Python 2.6.7 release candidate 2.
    Release candidate 1 was not widely announced due to a mismatch between the
    Mercurial and Subversion branches. Barring any unforeseen issues, this will
    be the last release candidate before 2.6.7 final, which is currently scheduled
    for June 3, 2011.

    As previously announced, Python 2.6 is in security-fix only mode. This means
    that general bug fix maintenance has ended, and only critical security fixes
    are supported. We will support Python 2.6 in security-fix only mode until
    October 2013. Also, this is a source-only release; no installers for Windows
    or Mac OS X will be provided.

    Please download and test this release candidate.

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.7/

    The NEWS file contains a list of changes since 2.6.6.

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.7/NEWS.txt

    Many thanks go out to the entire Python community for their contributions
    great and small.

    Enjoy,
    -Barry
    (on behalf of the Python development community)

    Barry Warsaw, May 21, 2011

  2. Barry Warsaw

    harrismh777 Guest

    Barry Warsaw wrote:
    > We will support Python 2.6 in security-fix only mode until
    > October 2013.

    Where can I read about the criteria for security-fix only?

    Who decides whether the security fix is critical?

    thanks,
    kind regards,
    m harris

    harrismh777, May 21, 2011

  3. Barry Warsaw

    Ned Deily Guest

    In article <I9HBp.13322$>,
    harrismh777 <> wrote:
    > Barry Warsaw wrote:
    > > We will support Python 2.6 in security-fix only mode until
    > > October 2013.

    > Where can I read about the criteria for security-fix only?

    You can read about the Python development cycle and security branches in
    the Python Developer's Guide:

    http://docs.python.org/devguide/devcycle.html#security-branches

    > Who decides whether the security fix is critical?

    Anyone can propose a security fix but the final decision is up to the
    release manager in charge of the branch. For 2.6.x, that is Barry.

    --
    Ned Deily,

    Ned Deily, May 21, 2011