Further evidence that Python may be the best language forever

Discussion in 'Python' started by Malcolm McCrimmon, Jan 28, 2013.

  1. My company recently hosted a programming competition for schools across thecountry. One team made it to the finals using the Python client, one of the four default clients provided (I wrote it). Most of the other teams were using Java or C#. Guess which team won?

    http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/finals.html

    Malcolm McCrimmon, Jan 28, 2013

  2. On 01/28/2013 03:46 PM, Malcolm McCrimmon wrote:
    > My company recently hosted a programming competition for schools
    > across the country. One team made it to the finals using the Python
    > client, one of the four default clients provided (I wrote it). Most
    > of the other teams were using Java or C#. Guess which team won?
    >
    > http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/finals.html

    What language was the web page hosted in? It comes up completely blank
    for me. :)

    Michael Torrie, Jan 29, 2013

  3. Michael Torrie, 29.01.2013 02:15:
    > On 01/28/2013 03:46 PM, Malcolm McCrimmon wrote:
    >> My company recently hosted a programming competition for schools
    >> across the country. One team made it to the finals using the Python
    >> client, one of the four default clients provided (I wrote it). Most
    >> of the other teams were using Java or C#. Guess which team won?
    >>
    >> http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/finals.html

    We did a similar (although way smaller) contest once at a university. The
    task was to write a network simulator. We had a C team, a Java team and a
    Python team, four people each. The Java and C people knew their language,
    the Python team just started learning it.

    The C team ended up getting totally lost and failed. The Java team got most
    things working ok and passed. The Python team got everything working, but
    additionally implemented a web interface for the simulator that monitored
    and visualised its current state. They said it helped them with debugging.

    > What language was the web page hosted in? It comes up completely blank
    > for me. :)

    Yep, same here. Hidden behind a flash wall, it seems.

    Stefan

    Stefan Behnel, Jan 29, 2013
  4. hi Stefan,

    * Stefan Behnel <> [2013-01-29 08:00]:
    > Michael Torrie, 29.01.2013 02:15:
    > > On 01/28/2013 03:46 PM, Malcolm McCrimmon wrote:
    > >> My company recently hosted a programming competition for schools
    > >> across the country. One team made it to the finals using the Python
    > >> client, one of the four default clients provided (I wrote it). Most
    > >> of the other teams were using Java or C#. Guess which team won?
    > >>
    > >> http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/finals.html

    > We did a similar (although way smaller) contest once at a university. The
    > task was to write a network simulator. We had a C team, a Java team and a
    > Python team, four people each. The Java and C people knew their language,
    > the Python team just started learning it.
    >
    > The C team ended up getting totally lost and failed. The Java team got most
    > things working ok and passed. The Python team got everything working, but
    > additionally implemented a web interface for the simulator that monitored
    > and visualised its current state. They said it helped them with debugging.

    quite interesting!
    I'd liked to see the code
    is it available for 'download'?

    thx
    Michael

    > > What language was the web page hosted in? It comes up completely blank
    > > for me. :)

    > Yep, same here. Hidden behind a flash wall, it seems.
    >
    > Stefan

    Michael Poeltl
    Computational Materials Physics voice: +43-1-4277-51409
    Univ. Wien, Sensengasse 8/12 fax: +43-1-4277-9514 (or 9513)
    A-1090 Wien, AUSTRIA cmp.mpi.univie.ac.at
    slackware-13.37 | vim-7.3 | python-3.2.3 | mutt-1.5.21 | elinks-0.12

    Michael Poeltl, Jan 29, 2013
  5. Sure! I don't think we've publicly posted the teams' implementations, but the original client code is all up here--http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/windwardopolis.php

    The issue with the original link may be if you're running Firefox--it's a Vimeo video, and I know they have some ongoing issues with Firefox that prevent their videos from displaying or playing back.

    Malcolm McCrimmon, Jan 29, 2013
  6. Sure! I don't think we've publicly posted the teams' implementations, but the original client code is all up here--http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/windwardopolis.php

    Malcolm McCrimmon, Jan 29, 2013