Further evidence that Python may be the best language forever

Stefan Behnel

Michael Torrie, 29.01.2013 02:15:
We did a similar (although way smaller) contest once at a university. The
task was to write a network simulator. We had a C team, a Java team and a
Python team, four people each. The Java and C people knew their language,
the Python team just started learning it.

The C team ended up getting totally lost and failed. The Java team got most
things working ok and passed. The Python team got everything working, but
additionally implemented a web interface for the simulator that monitored
and visualised its current state. They said it helped them with debugging.

What language was the web page hosted in? It comes up completely blank
for me. :)

Yep, same here. Hidden behind a flash wall, it seems.

Stefan

Michael Poeltl

hi Stefan,

* Stefan Behnel said:
Michael Torrie, 29.01.2013 02:15:

We did a similar (although way smaller) contest once at a university. The
task was to write a network simulator. We had a C team, a Java team and a
Python team, four people each. The Java and C people knew their language,
the Python team just started learning it.

The C team ended up getting totally lost and failed. The Java team got most
things working ok and passed. The Python team got everything working, but
additionally implemented a web interface for the simulator that monitored
and visualised its current state. They said it helped them with debugging.
quite interesting!
I'd liked to see the code
is it available for 'download'?

thx
Michael

Malcolm McCrimmon

Sure! I don't think we've publicly posted the teams' implementations, but the original client code is all up here--http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/windwardopolis.php

The issue with the original link may be if you're running Firefox--it's a Vimeo video, and I know they have some ongoing issues with Firefox that prevent their videos from displaying or playing back.