Gather Local ComputerName

Joseph

Has anyone had any experience gathering the local computername through a web
application with no client side program. I've been researching different
avenues and have been coming up blank so far. I'm working in a Intranet Env
with Active Directory and all Windows XP clients. My end goal is to
actually have an active desktop component that is branded for the company
with other user and computer specific information that will help the IT
staff gather information about the logged on user and PC. I can get the
user info from AD and some other info from the HTTP header, but no joy on
the actual client computername.

Thanks,

Joseph

Raterus

I've read lots of stuff on this, and the easy answer is it can't be done. The computername is something the browser doesn't need to tell the server, so it doesn't. But if you are in an intranet environment, hopefully you have a decent DNS setup that maps ip's to computernames, and should be able to do a lookup on the IP address.

Joseph

Acutally found a way.

Here's a link to one method that didn't work, but I think it was a
configuration issue on DNS and .net Framework somewhere.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...emWebHttpRequestClassUserHostAddressTopic.asp

Here's another method that worked like a champ.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemnetdnsclasstopic.asp

Thanks,

Joseph