GCJ equivalent for Python?

Ed Suominen

I have been programming Python for a year or so and like everything about it
except for the difficulty of distributing programs to someone who doesn't
have the 10MB+ interpreter package downloaded installed.

I'm a frequent user of pdftk, a Java-based PDF-manipulation program that
runs natively (no JVM required) because it is compiled with gcj. It's
plenty fast and you really never know that it was written in Java unless
you try to build it.

So, the question naturally arises, why isn't there something like the gcj
compiler for Python?

Ed Suominen
Registered Patent Agent
Open-Source Software Author (yes, both...)
Web Site: http://www.eepatents.com

Larry Bates

On Windows I use py2exe. It isn't REALLY compiled but the
problem you describe doesn't sound like you necessarily want
compilation but rather a way to create an easy to distribute
program of just a few files. After that I use Inno Installer
to create a single setup.exe file that self installs. You
didn't say what platform you were on, so this may or may not
be helpful to you. When user installs they to have no idea
it is "interpreted" Python that is running.

Larry Bates