Generate jsp in runtime

weetat

Hi all,

I need some advice regarding generate jsp file in runtime.
I have a jsp web page which allowed the user the enter value for
the fields , and , when he or she click submit , it will generate the
jsp file according to the value entered.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestion how to do that ?

Thanks

Wee Tat

Kai Schwebke

weetat said:
I need some advice regarding generate jsp file in runtime. ....

Anyone have any ideas or suggestion how to do that ?

Simply don't touch the out-of-the-box settings of tomcat
(e.g. don't turn dynamic jsp compilation off).
The Jasper engine will check and recompile your JSPs,
so you just have to write the file.

Kai

Lew

Kai said:
Simply don't touch the out-of-the-box settings of tomcat
(e.g. don't turn dynamic jsp compilation off).
The Jasper engine will check and recompile your JSPs,
so you just have to write the file.

I interpreted the original question as how to display dynamic data in a JSP
field, not how to rewrite the JSP itself. To the OP: Is that correct?

If so, then you don't change the JSP. JSPs by their very nature create HTML
dynamically, so you don't have to change the JSP in order to show data
dynamically.

Changing a JSP is equivalent to rewriting (part of) the application. A
well-designed application does not need to be rewritten to deal with known
runtime situations.

You only have to change the JSP if the layout logic changes, and not always
even then. JSPs are inherently dynamic and do not need to be recompiled to
show different things depending on runtime phenomena.

The Sun JEE tutorial covers how to do this.

Daniel Pitts

Hi all,

I need some advice regarding generate jsp file in runtime.
I have a jsp web page which allowed the user the enter value for
the fields , and , when he or she click submit , it will generate the
jsp file according to the value entered.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestion how to do that ?

Thanks

Wee Tat

I have a suggestion.
Don't.

JSP's are actually compiled into Java, and then into byte code. If
you want to have templates based on what a user enters, I would
suggest trying a different templating technology. Google for Velocity
or FreeMarker. Also, you might consider writing your own templating
mechanism. JSP is not intended to be created automatically.