generating a tree-like structure

Thorsten Kampe

Hi,

This is a fairly general question: is there some kind of module or
framework that allows building a tree like structure from certain kind
of data?

To be specific: I have a program that dumps the content of a LDAP
directory including all properties and values and groups the result
from the LDAP search by objClass.

Now I was thinking: would it be possible to generate from the totally
unordered output that the LDAP server gives me, a tree like
representation that displays the hierarchy (omitting the values or
even properties if necessary)?

It should be a textual representation of what you see in GUI programs
like "LDAP Administrator" but the output should be represented like
the "tree" program in Linux or Windows "tree.com".

Any ideas appreciated...

Thorsten

kyosohma

Hi,

This is a fairly general question: is there some kind of module or
framework that allows building a tree like structure from certain kind
of data?

To be specific: I have a program that dumps the content of a LDAP
directory including all properties and values and groups the result
from the LDAP search by objClass.

Now I was thinking: would it be possible to generate from the totally
unordered output that the LDAP server gives me, a tree like
representation that displays the hierarchy (omitting the values or
even properties if necessary)?

It should be a textual representation of what you see in GUI programs
like "LDAP Administrator" but the output should be represented like
the "tree" program in Linux or Windows "tree.com".

Any ideas appreciated...

Thorsten

I think you might be able to use ElementTree. The website for the
module claims it can be used for hierarchical data structures:
http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm

Did you look at any of the Python LDAP tools? They might be useful
too. See some of the links below:
http://linuxjournal.com/article/6988
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/303336

Hopefully they'll give some guidance. I've not used LDAP myself as of
yet.

Mike

Thorsten Kampe

* (31 May 2007 12:15:48 -0700)
I think you might be able to use ElementTree. The website for the
module claims it can be used for hierarchical data structures:
http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm

Did you look at any of the Python LDAP tools? They might be useful
too. See some of the links below:
http://linuxjournal.com/article/6988
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/303336

Hopefully they'll give some guidance. I've not used LDAP myself as of
yet.

I already have the LDAP output part working - with python-ldap under
Cygwin - and I generate HMTL output with markup.py. Pretty simple. But
a tree structure output would be even prettier...

A.T.Hofkamp

* (31 May 2007 12:15:48 -0700)

I already have the LDAP output part working - with python-ldap under
Cygwin - and I generate HMTL output with markup.py. Pretty simple. But
a tree structure output would be even prettier...

I would probably generate a DOT file to get a 2D visualization. DOT is part of
Graphviz (graphviz.org), and there are quite a few graphviz front-ends
available in Python to make DOT generation easier (pydot, yapgvb, and probably
a few others).

Albert