generating bar graph from databse vaules in jsp

ruds

Hi,
I'm in a squeeze!! I want to generate a bar graph in JSP with values
from mysql.One page displays the data and I want the chart to be
displayed on the next page. Which is best free software for this? I
have searched and come up with 'cewolf','jfreechat','jasper-reports'.
Any other options available?

P.S. : I want this to run on Linux(RHEL), so AJAX is not an option.

John B. Matthews

ruds said:
I'm in a squeeze!! I want to generate a bar graph in JSP with values
from mysql.One page displays the data and I want the chart to be
displayed on the next page. Which is best free software for this? I
have searched and come up with 'cewolf','jfreechat','jasper-reports'.
Any other options available?

P.S. : I want this to run on Linux(RHEL), so AJAX is not an option.

I don't understand how these two technologies might be incompatible.

Arved Sandstrom

I know that JFreeChart <http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/> works well in
this context.

I agree. Or Jasper.
I don't understand how these two technologies might be incompatible.
In fact, John, you understand full well that they are apples and
oranges. :)

The only thing I can figure is that reading truly bad articles may make
a novice believe that AJAX requires Windows on the server.

AHS

Arne Vajhøj

I'm in a squeeze!! I want to generate a bar graph in JSP with values
from mysql.One page displays the data and I want the chart to be
displayed on the next page. Which is best free software for this? I
have searched and come up with 'cewolf','jfreechat','jasper-reports'.
Any other options available?

I would go for JFreeChart.

Generate IMG tag in JSP with SRC as a servlet that uses JFreeChart
to generate image based on data and return.

I think I have an old code example on the shelf that I can
post if you are interested.
P.S. : I want this to run on Linux(RHEL), so AJAX is not an option.

AJAX is certainly possible with Linux server side. It is probably
even the most widely used OS for server side handling AJAX requests.

And if you are using Java EE then you should completely
independent of OS.

Arne