    Intellij. I know we can do that in WSAD.
    or are there any tools which do that prefarably freeware?

    thanks,

    pojo, Feb 17, 2006

  2. Eclipse + Poseidon, but this last one isn't for free.

    Paulus de Boska, Feb 17, 2006

  3. pojo

    Guest

    You should check out Sun Java Studio Enterprise 8, just create your
    projects from the source or ant build.xml files. You can download it
    free after you create a Sun Developer Account.

    http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jsenterprise/

    It supports:
    Forward and reverse engineering.
    Automatic Sequence Diagrams

    Class diagrams, Activity etc..

    I recommned you watch the video demos...
    http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jsenterprise/learning/tutorials/jse8/uml_fe.html

    pojo wrote:
    > hi,
    > I am working on a project right now with Jboss as the server and
    > Intellij 5 as the IDE. Is there any way I can generate the class
    > diagrams and the sequence diagrams backward ie., from the code in
    > Intellij. I know we can do that in WSAD.
    > or are there any tools which do that prefarably freeware?
    >
    > thanks,

    , Feb 17, 2006
  4. pojo

    James McGill Guest

    Re: generating class diagrams and other uml diagrams from thecode..

    On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 12:08 -0800, Paulus de Boska wrote:
    > Eclipse + Poseidon, but this last one isn't for free.

    Poseidon isn't everybody's favorite program, to put it mildly. Try out
    the Poseidon eval version and/or ArgoUML to be sure it's a good fit,
    before spending money. Also, see MagicDraw, which appears to share some
    of the same ancestry.

    It's nowhere near the same level of completion, and it's strictly a
    linux-QT app, but I've *enjoyed* using Umbrello, which is not something
    I can say for any other UML modelling tool, with the possible exception
    of Visio.

    In all my work, the UML diagram strictly for design documentation, and
    the idea of automatically generating UML from code, or generating code
    from UML, is honestly never a consideration. ArgoUML does a reasonable
    job of generating code, as does Umbrello.

    Also in the non-free department, Visual Paradigm has good integration
    with Eclipse going for it. "SDE", it's called.

    One thing that most of these modelling tools have in common, is that the
    free and low-cost editions don't do reverse engineering, that is,
    generate UML from code. Poseidon does, in the "Standard
    Edition" ($250). ArgoUML, free, will import Java source and generate
    UML too, worth a try, www.tigris.org

    James McGill, Feb 18, 2006