generating WordProcessingML with Perl

ccc31807

My job is to produce reports. Reports must have some kind of format.
Mostly, I usually produce reports in ASCII format, such as txt, csv,
or xml (including xhtml). Occasionally, my customers will specify a
format that I don't often use, such as PDF or Microsoft Word.

When this happens with Word, I have produced handwritten rtf,
generated rtf using a CPAN module (that I can't remember the name of
now) or (in the past a CPAN) doc module that produced a bin file. I
now have a requirement to produce a Word document (actually thousands
of them) for Word 2007 using data from a database.

After fiddling around as I normally do looking at the usual suspects,
I got around to OOXML, and specifically WordProcessingML. I confess
that this impresses me and surprises me. It's pretty good -- I can
generate an ASCII text file, interpolate my variables, and have it
open natively in Word. Cool.

Before writing the app, I thought I would troll here and see if anyone
has any real experience using WordProcessingML, and if so, their
conclusions, especially including traps, snares, and pitfalls.

Thanks, CC.

sln

[...]

Your 'job' is to produce reports. So you thought you would troll here
for what, before you actually read anything about it?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

-sln