Georgian fonts?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rob, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Hi,

    I am experimenting with some foreign fonts.
    I listen that the best way to display them is using unicode.

    The page now created isn't unicode.
    The question 1 is how I type and generate unicode text ?

    Temperorly I set up a page with some font settings in CSS.
    The font is standing http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/

    I try to let the browser know which font to use with
    <!--
    @font-face { font-family: "Avaza"; src:
    url("http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/AVAZA.TTF") }
    body {font-family:Avaza; font-weight:none; }
    -->

    Second question is this a good way of displaying the foreign characters ?
    Or is there a beter way?

    The page is set at:
    http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.php
    Or the source code:
    http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.phps

    Third question is it displaying on your PC correctly ?
    And which type OS and browser you are using ?

    If font installed then I asume it works correctly.

    Thanks for any advice
    Rob
    Rob, Aug 23, 2005

  2. Rob

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Rob quothed:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am experimenting with some foreign fonts.
    > I listen that the best way to display them is using unicode.
    >
    > The page now created isn't unicode.
    > The question 1 is how I type and generate unicode text ?
    >
    > Temperorly I set up a page with some font settings in CSS.
    > The font is standing http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/
    >
    > I try to let the browser know which font to use with
    > <!--
    > @font-face { font-family: "Avaza"; src:
    > url("http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/AVAZA.TTF") }
    > body {font-family:Avaza; font-weight:none; }
    > -->
    >
    > Second question is this a good way of displaying the foreign characters ?
    > Or is there a beter way?
    >
    > The page is set at:
    > http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.php
    > Or the source code:
    > http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.phps
    >
    > Third question is it displaying on your PC correctly ?

    I don't think so. The table has a bunch of question marks and the text
    below shows all Latin characters. Of course I don't speak Georgy.

    > And which type OS and browser you are using ?

    IE6, Mozilla 1.7.11, (XP).

    > If font installed then I asume it works correctly.

    If the font is supposed to install on *my* system, good luck, buddy.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 23, 2005

  3. Rob wrote:

    > I am experimenting with some foreign fonts.
    > I listen that the best way to display them is using unicode.
    > The page now created isn't unicode.
    > The question 1 is how I type and generate unicode text ?

    That depends on your operating system (and version number
    of your OS).

    > Temperorly I set up a page with some font settings in CSS.
    > The font is standing http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/
    > I try to let the browser know which font to use with
    > <!--

    Remove the comment markers.

    > @font-face { font-family: "Avaza"; src:
    > url("http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/AVAZA.TTF") }
    > body {font-family:Avaza; font-weight:none; }
    > -->
    > Second question is this a good way of displaying the foreign characters ?

    This is *very* bad because your font seems to have Georgian
    letters in ASCII code positions.

    > Or is there a beter way?

    See
    http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/unicode/unidata10.html#x10A0
    And read
    http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/checklist.html

    > The page is set at:
    > http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.php
    > Or the source code:
    > http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.phps
    > Third question is it displaying on your PC correctly ?

    Not as you probably intended.

    > Thanks for any advice

    Post to <news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html>
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

    Hint:
    http://google.com/search?q="Use comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html instead"
    Andreas Prilop, Aug 23, 2005
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Translated the code to unicode with sylfaen
    sylfaen is standard suported on the Windows XP and contains georgian
    characters

    Can somebody check if it now displays correct.

    new url is
    http://shalva.comweb.nl/test.php

    Rob
    Rob, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Rob wrote:
    > Translated the code to unicode with sylfaen sylfaen is standard
    > suported on the Windows XP and contains georgian characters
    >
    > Can somebody check if it now displays correct.
    >
    > new url is http://shalva.comweb.nl/test.php

    For me it plays music (had to grab my speaker volume knob) and
    displays a bunch of question marks.

    Please don't send unsolicited music.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 23, 2005
  6. Rob

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > Temperorly I set up a page with some font settings in CSS.
    > Second question is this a good way of displaying the foreign characters ?

    No -- in fact, it's possibly the worst way that you could do it. The
    problem is that you are using normal western characters and then just
    making them look a little different. But however they look, they're still
    Western characters. Anyone viewing the page with a different font will
    still see the Western characters. Anyone accessing the page via a method
    that doesn't even involve fonts (search engine spiders, screen readers,
    braille tablets, etc) will see the western characters.

    To display Georgian characters correctly, simply type the characters and
    save the file as in a Unicode format (UTF-8 or UTF-16).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 23, 2005
  7. On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Rob wrote:

    > Translated the code to unicode with sylfaen

    I don't know anything about what you did, but the source code which I
    looked at was using references in the four-thousands to
    represent the Georgian characters. Although that's technically correct,
    it's hardly optimal for large amounts of text. You'd be better advised to
    re-save it in utf-8 encoding - making appropriate arrangements to have the
    server specify that encoding when sending the document out from your
    server, of course.

    (Fortunately the audio features of my browser have been nobbled to avoid
    idiot authors making a nuisance of themselves with unsolicited noises...)

    > Can somebody check if it now displays correct.
    >
    > new url is
    > http://shalva.comweb.nl/test.php

    Looks like Georgian to me, though I can't read the script. But there's no
    character encoding (charset=) specified yet on the server's HTTP
    Content-type response. Should be easy if you're using PHP.
    Alan J. Flavell, Aug 23, 2005