Georgian fonts?

Rob

Hi,

I am experimenting with some foreign fonts.
I listen that the best way to display them is using unicode.

The page now created isn't unicode.
The question 1 is how I type and generate unicode text ?

Temperorly I set up a page with some font settings in CSS.
The font is standing http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/

I try to let the browser know which font to use with
<!--
@font-face { font-family: "Avaza"; src:
url("http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/AVAZA.TTF") }
body {font-family:Avaza; font-weight:none; }
-->

Second question is this a good way of displaying the foreign characters ?
Or is there a beter way?

The page is set at:
http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.php
Or the source code:
http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.phps

Third question is it displaying on your PC correctly ?
And which type OS and browser you are using ?

If font installed then I asume it works correctly.

Thanks for any advice
Rob

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Rob quothed:
[...]

I don't think so. The table has a bunch of question marks and the text
below shows all Latin characters. Of course I don't speak Georgy.
And which type OS and browser you are using ?

IE6, Mozilla 1.7.11, (XP).
If font installed then I asume it works correctly.

If the font is supposed to install on *my* system, good luck, buddy.

Andreas Prilop

Rob said:
I am experimenting with some foreign fonts.
I listen that the best way to display them is using unicode.
The page now created isn't unicode.
The question 1 is how I type and generate unicode text ?

That depends on your operating system (and version number
of your OS).
Temperorly I set up a page with some font settings in CSS.
The font is standing http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/
I try to let the browser know which font to use with
<!--

Remove the comment markers.
@font-face { font-family: "Avaza"; src:
url("http://shalva.comweb.nl/fonts/AVAZA.TTF") }
body {font-family:Avaza; font-weight:none; }
-->
Second question is this a good way of displaying the foreign characters ?

This is *very* bad because your font seems to have Georgian
letters in ASCII code positions.
Or is there a beter way?

See
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/unicode/unidata10.html#x10A0
And read
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/checklist.html
The page is set at:
http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.php
Or the source code:
http://shalva.comweb.nl/poetry_GE.phps
Third question is it displaying on your PC correctly ?

Not as you probably intended.
Thanks for any advice

Post to <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

Hint:
http://google.com/search?q="Use+comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html+instead"

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rob said:
Translated the code to unicode with sylfaen sylfaen is standard
suported on the Windows XP and contains georgian characters

Can somebody check if it now displays correct.

new url is http://shalva.comweb.nl/test.php

For me it plays music (had to grab my speaker volume knob) and
displays a bunch of question marks.

Please don't send unsolicited music.

Toby Inkster

Rob said:
Temperorly I set up a page with some font settings in CSS.
Second question is this a good way of displaying the foreign characters ?

No -- in fact, it's possibly the worst way that you could do it. The
problem is that you are using normal western characters and then just
making them look a little different. But however they look, they're still
Western characters. Anyone viewing the page with a different font will
still see the Western characters. Anyone accessing the page via a method
that doesn't even involve fonts (search engine spiders, screen readers,
braille tablets, etc) will see the western characters.

To display Georgian characters correctly, simply type the characters and
save the file as in a Unicode format (UTF-8 or UTF-16).

Alan J. Flavell

Translated the code to unicode with sylfaen

I don't know anything about what you did, but the source code which I
looked at was using references in the four-thousands to
represent the Georgian characters. Although that's technically correct,
it's hardly optimal for large amounts of text. You'd be better advised to
re-save it in utf-8 encoding - making appropriate arrangements to have the
server specify that encoding when sending the document out from your
server, of course.

(Fortunately the audio features of my browser have been nobbled to avoid
idiot authors making a nuisance of themselves with unsolicited noises...)
Can somebody check if it now displays correct.

new url is
http://shalva.comweb.nl/test.php

Looks like Georgian to me, though I can't read the script. But there's no
character encoding (charset=) specified yet on the server's HTTP
Content-type response. Should be easy if you're using PHP.