get a slider onto a web page?

Geoff Cox

Given you *already* have an application, I *strongly*
recommend you try JWS before going any further with the applet.

Andrew,

Have just read in the SAMS Teach Yoruself Java 2 book that JWS
requires the downloading of the JRE (if not already installed). This
is correct?

Also says that this takes 30-45 minutes with a 56k Internet
connection! More like 3hrs with my "56k" connection!

If so a bit of a problem for dial up users.

Cheers

Geoff

Andrew Thompson

Have just read in the SAMS Teach Yoruself Java 2 book that JWS
requires the downloading of the JRE (if not already installed). This
is correct?

If your application require Java 1.4 as an application,
it will require 1.4 as an applet.

If the user only has 1.3, they will need to upgrade to
1.4 for either.

If the user has 1.4, or 1.5.. they will only need to
download your 1.4 applet/application.
Also says that this takes 30-45 minutes with a 56k Internet
connection! More like 3hrs with my "56k" connection!

If so a bit of a problem for dial up users.

JWS just makes the process simpler for upgrading,
should the user *need* to upgrade.

Thomas Hawtin

Geoff said:
Have just read in the SAMS Teach Yoruself Java 2 book that JWS
requires the downloading of the JRE (if not already installed). This
is correct?

Also says that this takes 30-45 minutes with a 56k Internet
connection! More like 3hrs with my "56k" connection!

The Windows on-line JRE installer is supposedly around 7.5 MB. So if
that takes 3 hrs, your connection is running at 7.5*1024*1024*8/3/60/60
bps, which is ~ 5.8 kbps. You must have a really bad line.

Three hours is the sort of time it used to take me to download a full
JDK on my 33.6. Most active users (even me in the middle of nowhere)
have some form of broadband these days.

Tom Hawtin

Geoff Cox

The Windows on-line JRE installer is supposedly around 7.5 MB. So if
that takes 3 hrs, your connection is running at 7.5*1024*1024*8/3/60/60
bps, which is ~ 5.8 kbps. You must have a really bad line.

Thomas,

Not sure what you mean. I quoted from the SAMS book and have rechecked
- it says re the JRE "the full installation is 65MB in size and could
take 30-45 minutes on a 56k Internet connection" - now you are saying
the 65MB bit is wrong?

Certainly it would take me about 3hrs to download 65MB..

The Java 2 JRE is about 24MB (from memory). What is the "Windows
on-line JRE installer"?

Cheers

Geoff

Thomas Hawtin

Geoff said:
Not sure what you mean. I quoted from the SAMS book and have rechecked
- it says re the JRE "the full installation is 65MB in size and could
take 30-45 minutes on a 56k Internet connection" - now you are saying
the 65MB bit is wrong?

Your book is plain wrong.
Certainly it would take me about 3hrs to download 65MB..

That sounds about right.
The Java 2 JRE is about 24MB (from memory). What is the "Windows
on-line JRE installer"?

The JDK is about that size. A little larger for 5.0. The Windows Online
Installation, is the usual install a little (221.27 KB) loader and then
run that to download the rest (~7 MB).

All explained here:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/stanleyh/archive/2005/05/deployment_unde_1.html

Tom Hawtin