Get column names dynamically in datalist?

beanweed

I have a dataset generated from XMLDataDocument. There are nested tables. Like this, sort of:
<somedata>
<item>
<blah>stuff</blah>
<yada>whatever</yada>
<detail>
<col1>value</col1>
<col2>valyu</col2>
</detail>
</item>
...(many more "items")
</somedata>

What I want is a table showing:

stuff whatever col1:value col2:valyu
... (again for each "item")

I thought I would have a datalist showing the "detail" child table.
So--> How can I get a datalist that renders "column name":"column value" ? An added plus if it doesn't show anything if the value is null.

Many thanks