get handle for new window from hyperlink column

Guest

Hi this is kind of related to a post from yesterday, closing a child window
from actions on the parent window. Anyhow I was able to get this to work
using java script, and setting up open and close functions with a handle. I
have another case where a child window is opened from a datagrid hyperlink
and am just wondering if anyone knows how to set up an open and close
function for this window that can be run from the parent window?
child window(created by .NET for a hyperlink data column grid),
is there a way to assign a handle to this so I can build a close function
and call it when the parent window unloads?
<asp:HyperLinkColumn Text="View" Target="_blank"
DataNavigateUrlField="Data_Item_ID"
DataNavigateUrlFormatString="child.aspx?i_Data_Item_ID={0}"

thanks Paul.