getting back into programming

usawargamer

I used to program in C and Perl (up until 2001) (a little C++ and Java
too). Since then I've been a Business Analyst and only coded in VBA/
Excel and written some SQL queries. (we use Sybase)

I feel the need for other tools.
Primarily I want to write a bunch of small programs to query a
database and perform some calculations. While I can do this inside a
Sybase stored procedure, its a bit messy trying to "reimplement" a set
of calculations from Excel into Sybase.

I would like to either:
- relearn Perl
or
- learn Python (I have heard its a nice language)

1. How good and easy to use is the Python database interface (to
Sybase)?

2. Can you suggest some good books, and/or links for learning Python,
as well as teh database interface?

3. How difficult is it to install Python vs Perl on PC/Windows
machines?

M.-A. Lemburg

I used to program in C and Perl (up until 2001) (a little C++ and Java
too). Since then I've been a Business Analyst and only coded in VBA/
Excel and written some SQL queries. (we use Sybase)

I feel the need for other tools.
Primarily I want to write a bunch of small programs to query a
database and perform some calculations. While I can do this inside a
Sybase stored procedure, its a bit messy trying to "reimplement" a set
of calculations from Excel into Sybase.

I would like to either:
- relearn Perl
or
- learn Python (I have heard its a nice language)

1. How good and easy to use is the Python database interface (to
Sybase)?

If you're looking for a reliable database interface to Sybase,
I'd suggest mxODBC:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

It's been used in production by many banks for years and so far
without problems.
2. Can you suggest some good books, and/or links for learning Python,
as well as teh database interface?

One of the best books is "Learning Python":

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565924642/
3. How difficult is it to install Python vs Perl on PC/Windows
machines?

There's an MSI installer, so it's basically just a few clicks
away:

http://www.python.org/download/

Hope that helps,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Dec 10 2008)________________________________________________________________________
2008-12-02: Released mxODBC.Connect 1.0.0 http://python.egenix.com/

http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

Gabriel Genellina

I used to program in C and Perl (up until 2001) (a little C++ and Java
too). Since then I've been a Business Analyst and only coded in VBA/
Excel and written some SQL queries. (we use Sybase)

I feel the need for other tools.
Primarily I want to write a bunch of small programs to query a
database and perform some calculations. While I can do this inside a
Sybase stored procedure, its a bit messy trying to "reimplement" a set
of calculations from Excel into Sybase.

I would like to either:
- relearn Perl
or
- learn Python (I have heard its a nice language)

I prefer Python over Perl because of its legibility (it's way more clear
than Perl!), expressiveness (there is no big difference between "what I
want" and "what I write"). (Anyway, I think most people here would say
they like Python...)
1. How good and easy to use is the Python database interface (to
Sybase)?

Most database modules implement DBAPI 2.0, the Python standard API for
database connectivity, see http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/
Migrating from one database to another, if you stick to the API, may have
little or no impact on your application.

The first hit on Google for "python sybase" points to the python-sybase
project on Sourceforge, which claims to be DBAPI 2 compliant, but I've
never used it.
2. Can you suggest some good books, and/or links for learning Python,
as well as teh database interface?

If you had some programming experience then Dive into Python
http://www.diveintopython.org/ would be a good choice
3. How difficult is it to install Python vs Perl on PC/Windows
machines?

Both, almost zero effort, just run the installer.