Getting started in PXPerl, i.e how to run a script?

Markus Hänchen

Hi,

I just tried to get Perl running on a Windows 2000 machine (coming from
Mac OS X) and started by installing PXPerl (http://pxperl.com).
Installation went ahead without any errors.

But I have not figured out yet, how to a run a script.

I tried to run a simple script in the console simply by typing
'helloWorld.pl' (i.e. the name of the script). Upon doing that an
application called SciTE opens and displays the file (SciTE looks like
being a simple editor). Trying out the menu 'Tools -> Compile', I get
the output:
perl helloWorld.pl

What is going wrong here? Or, what I am doing wrong?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Markus

P.S.: The script:
#!perl
print "Hello World!\n";

It has DOS line endings.

Markus Hänchen

The "bin" directory isn't in your PATH probably.
The bigger question is why PXPerl? I don't (or didn't) think it is
being worked on any more.

Robert

Thanks for the reply. I have figured it out myself in the meantime
(typing 'perl helloWorld.pl' works now):

I had to restart Windows!

Coming from Mac OS X, I did not consider that after fiddling with the
PATH, as the PXPerl installer did, one might have to restart, and I
also did not see anything in the PXPerl instructions asking for a
restart.

As to why I chose PXPerl, browsing through the list at
www.cpan.org/ports/#win32, and not knowing anything about Perl on
Windows, its description sounded appealing and installation was also
absolutely straightforward.
But since I have to install Perl on other Windows machines as well,
what distribution would you recommend?

Markus

Markus Hänchen

I don't run Perl on Windows myself, but ActiveState seems to be what
everybody on Windows uses.

Chris Mattern
on Windows uses.

Thanks, I am going to try it out on the next machine.
Markus